• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer skiing for the "nuts" like me : Portillo or New Zealand?

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do we have a southern hemisphere seasonal resorts/weather/stoke thread yet? Anyone want to start one? @Turoa Kiwi? @jimtransition?

I won't be skiing until next weekend (it's a long way from Europe) but will post when I do.
My home ski patch, Turoa , on the North Island won't be open for at least three weeks . But I do have a season pass that covers Mt Hutt, The Remarkables and Coronet Peak . Also have a 6 day pass for Treble Cone and Cardrona , All in the South Island . Due to a couple of friends having significant birthday parties and an All Blacks versus Ireland rugby game in Auckland, I wont be on the planks for at least three weeks but will certainly throw some stoke out there when I can . Mini Gathering anyone?

Last edited:

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's part of the huge weather pattern that has dumped snow on NZ in the last 7 days!
1655087069076.png

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Gigantic snow accumulation by New Zealand standards throughout the South Island mountains. Ski field operators saying this will be the best opening in living memory if ever for them. Unfortunately we are not staying in NZ as we head back to the States. Those of you down there enjoy!! Should be amazing conditions for opening day!!!

Tin Pants

Putting on skis
Skier
europe fly in to zurich rent a car go to zermatt for the skiing and spectacular scenery keep driving east into Austria and go to solden then keep going east visit Innsbruck go to hintertux then on in in to salzburgerland and go to kaprun it is easy to make side trips to the beautiful city of salzburg also easy to get to italy with the possibility of skiing at stelvio pass and maybe visit the dolomites europe is very compact and the roads are fast

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Since @geepers posted some pics, I moved that post to start a Southern Hemisphere seasonal thread. You can find it here:

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
europe fly in to zurich rent a car go to zermatt for the skiing and spectacular scenery keep driving east into Austria and go to solden then keep going east visit Innsbruck go to hintertux then on in in to salzburgerland and go to kaprun it is easy to make side trips to the beautiful city of salzburg also easy to get to italy with the possibility of skiing at stelvio pass and maybe visit the dolomites europe is very compact and the roads are fast
How recently have you skied these resorts in the summer?

Tin Pants

Putting on skis
Skier
its been a few years I used to live in germany between munich and Salzburg very close to the Austrian border IIRC Solden is the most interesting area kaprun and hintertux are very similar to each otheri skied those 2 alot

James

Out There
Instructor
Isn’t summer skiing in the Alps limited to half day?
I’ve only skied Les2Alpes in summer, my recollection was it was 7:30 -13:00.
Still a great experience.

Tin Pants

Putting on skis
Skier
Isn’t summer skiing in the Alps limited to half day?
I’ve only skied Les2Alpes in summer, my recollection was it was 7:30 -13:00.
Still a great experience.
just checked hintertux they open 8.15 to 4,30 ATM i'm sure the others will be similar, definitely better in the morning

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
its been a few years I used to live in germany between munich and Salzburg very close to the Austrian border IIRC Solden is the most interesting area kaprun and hintertux are very similar to each otheri skied those 2 alot
You'll be disappointed to know that Sölden hasn't been open for skiing in the summer months for a few years now. Kaprun has only one slope open at present. There was less snow than usual this winter, and it was a warm May. Snow levels are much lower in Hintertux and Zermatt this year too.
Haven't been to Kaprun in years, but in Tux the Kaserer slopes are much steeper than they were ten years ago with the glacial retreat.

ust checked hintertux they open 8.15 to 4,30 ATM i'm sure the others will be similar, definitely better in the morning
At some point, most if not all of the surface lifts in Tux close at 1.00, though not sure when. Some point in July I think.

Sponsor

Staff online