• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hear people talking about backing off the DIN screws to relieve tension. Is that a real thing or a relic from the past?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I hear people talking about backing off the DIN screws to relieve tension. Is that a real thing or a relic from the past?
It is not needed.

The risk of injury or damage from a too low (backed off) DIN the first day of the next season is very real.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Yeah, I always used to back off the DIN but stopped 5 or 6 years ago. Glad to know stopping was OK.

coldski

Putting on skis
Skier
I believe the binding should be stored "closed" - in ski mode. The spring is more compressed in the open position ?

I inadvertently did the experiment. A pair of skis that had sat unused for several (many) years (Rossignol 7X, Look Bindings) where one ski binding was closed the other open (ready for step in). The spring on the "open" ski was definitly degraded compared to the closed binding - very easy to tell shot just by cocking the heelpiece.

Maybe less of a short term problem - but it sure wrecked those old bindings

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I would avoid leaving gear (any gear) in a super hot shed, garage rafters, attic, etc. Keep your gear in some reasonably well climate controlled. low humidity location. Storage wax on bases and edges if humidity might be a factor.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is not needed.

The risk of injury or damage from a too low (backed off) DIN the first day of the next season is very real.
I am no longer allowed to back off the DIN settings on my wife's skis. You can imagine why.

I no longer back them off anyways, got lazy and figured I don't usually keep skis longer than two or three seasons so I just let it be someones else problem if it degrades the spring early.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I believe the binding should be stored "closed" - in ski mode. The spring is more compressed in the open position ?

I inadvertently did the experiment. A pair of skis that had sat unused for several (many) years (Rossignol 7X, Look Bindings) where one ski binding was closed the other open (ready for step in). The spring on the "open" ski was definitly degraded compared to the closed binding - very easy to tell shot just by cocking the heelpiece.

Interesting. Maybe there is a use for it, and there is no danger like forgetting to reset it. How many years did it take?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Open up a box of brand new bindings, more likely than not, the bindings are shipped in a "open" position. Many times these bindings are in these boxes for months..or even years.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you take a look at the instruction booklet that you should have been given when you bought them and should have read before you used them! It will say that you should store them closed, but without the boots in them.

Tyrolia.jpg

Philpug, at what DIN setting are bindings shipped from the factory?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you take a look at the instruction booklet that you should have been given when you bought them and should have read before you used them! It will say that you should store them closed, but without the boots in them.

Tyrolia.jpg

Philpug, at what DIN setting are bindings shipped from the factory?
Usually about a 6.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just looked at my inventory of bindings. Every boxed binding is with the heel cocked.

Tyrolia Attack 13
IMG_1902.jpeg

Look Pivot 12
IMG_1904.jpeg
Look Pivot 15
IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1906.jpeg
With that said, this is a Geze G90 that was new in box when it arrived about 5 years ago. These actually were in the closed position with the heel already cracked. I appreciate the concern but IMHO any modern binding, heel open or closed is irrelevant, the materials are so much better now than 30 years ago.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
All I know is that I've seen about 4-5 old bindlings explode when stepping in and closing them. I've seen zero fail when stepping out opening them. Seems to me that closed puts more stress on them than open does based on that anecdotal evidence.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you think about the mechanics their should be LESS tension on the spring when it is open as the mechanism should go over center at release. Going to release should NOT leave the spring with extra tension

Pointless anyway. Do you you jack your car up with the wheels hanging free to decompress the springs????? :huh: :doh:
:popcorn:

Reactions: NE1

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have it on good authority that you should mark the bindings with lamb's blood to keep them healthy and good for next season.
Or the snowsnake of death will kill your first run...

coldski

Putting on skis
Skier
If you think about the mechanics their should be LESS tension on the spring when it is open as the mechanism should go over center at release. Going to release should NOT leave the spring with extra tension

Pointless anyway. Do you you jack your car up with the wheels hanging free to decompress the springs????? :huh: :doh:
:popcorn:

Are you sure ?

closed open.002.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online