• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer storage for liquid wax only setup?

crusty

Booting up
Skier
I know this is a bit early in the season, but I figured I'd get some input about how you would store your skis if you only did liquid wax. I've come across many articles about wax durability and performance and have decided to forego an iron (for now) in favor of a glide cleaner (Rex Glide Cleaner) that will supposedly deposit some ultra hard wax, followed by a liquid glider.

My question is, does anyone have experience storing their skis for the end of the season without hot storage wax? Is there a way to leave liquid waxes unbrushed to achieve the same protection?

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
My question is, does anyone have experience storing their skis for the end of the season without hot storage wax? Is there a way to leave liquid waxes unbrushed to achieve the same protection?
Guessing you could apply and leave it, and maybe apply a second time and leave that too.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The place I store my skis is indoors, not humid, and not particularly hot or cold. I stopped using storage wax ages ago. In the fall, the skis generally look perfect with a few brushes with a wire brush and then I start pre-season prep. If I haven't actually skied on them since they were last waxed and tuned (I have records), they only get the brushing, but that would be unusual.

TS
C

crusty

Booting up
Skier
Unfortunately my domestic superior would disagree with having skis in the house ogsmile. Though I wonder what I'll do if it gets too hot in the summer.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Q: What is the point of putting storage wax on your skis? A: To keep the bases from drying out.

Some say you shouldn't leave your edges waxed for long storage as that could trap moisture in the metal and cause rust. I've never experienced that, but have experienced rust due to not having done anything to a ski at end of season and then stored in my unfinished basement- which is not a wet environment but sometimes can get a little damp depending on extreme weather factors.

I have a lot of skis in my rotation, and I used to tune and hot wax before storing them for summer in that said basement. My spring seasons have become extremely busy in my life as of late so I don't always get a chance to tune/hot wax all 10 pair or so of skis I might have used during the winter. I have much more time in the shoulder season just before ski season to tune skis for the upcoming new season. So lately-the past 5 years or so- I simply hand rub a good coat of wax on the bases using the same block of wax I would use for melting with an iron. That hand rubbed coating is enough to seal the base from drying out over summer.

I have no experience with liquid waxes so can't comment on whether applying them for summer would do the same.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For a bunch of reasons, mostly that I was bugging out of town on a long trip at the end of the ski season, all I did last year was spray on a coat of liquid wax, rub it in a bit with felt, and call it good.

They all looked great when this season started. Like @Sibhusky said, doing nothing is probably adequate. Modern ski bases are amazing.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know this is a bit early in the season, but I figured I'd get some input about how you would store your skis if you only did liquid wax. I've come across many articles about wax durability and performance and have decided to forego an iron (for now) in favor of a glide cleaner (Rex Glide Cleaner) that will supposedly deposit some ultra hard wax, followed by a liquid glider.

Just spray on the warm temperature liquid parrifin and don't brush it out.

Ian Harvey (aka Flat top) also says the Toko liquid parrifin don't replace hotwaxing. He advises after some applications of the Liquid Parrfins, the next wax application should be a hot wax application.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I wax my skis at the end of the season so they'll be ready to go next season.. Cold wax on carvers, warm or universal on fun shapes.. I just don't scrape it until I'm ready to ski them again. Storage wax check, ready to ski after a scrape check. WIN WIN..

Unless you're storing them some place humid, or for a period longer than just over one summer storage wax isn't necessary

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Q: What is the point of putting storage wax on your skis? A: To keep the bases from drying out.
UHMWPE, which ski bases are made from, can't "dry out". Ever. It can abrade, which will make it look gray and fuzzy. It can suffer UV radiation damage, so don't keep it exposed to the sun for long periods. But it will never dry out.

Here's what I do at the end of the season: absoluetly nothing. How they look on the last day of skiing for me, which is usually late May or early June, is how they are put away. Keep all my skis in a dry basement away from sunlight. Sometime next fall I will look at them and see what needs sharpened, waxed or stone ground if it has base damage. I still have some old skis from the 1980's that have been kept that way...from the 1980's. They still ski fine if you don't mind skis with 50 M turn radius...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
UHMWPE, which ski bases are made from, can't "dry out". Ever. It can abrade, which will make it look gray and fuzzy. It can suffer UV radiation damage, so don't keep it exposed to the sun for long periods. But it will never dry out.

All true, yet I give mine a coat of wax, just to let them know that they are loved!

Sponsor

Staff online