• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sun Valley Freestyle '73 - Rick Glesner Photos

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
"OK gang here are those pictures from the Freestyle event at Sun Valley '73. I was there with a couple of friends to take in the sights and become even more amp'd at what I was seeing. Bill Eisenhart had become familiar with me and the year after invited me to join him at Winter Park as a coach in his new Freestyle/Racing program. Rick Glesner"
@RickyG

IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG
IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG
IMG_1642.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_1647.JPG
IMG_1648.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG
IMG_1651.JPG
IMG_1652.JPG

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Is that Suzy chapstick in the red and white outfit?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Winter heats, 505’s Nordica Banana boots and Cire’ nylon ...
Good times, especially for the photogenic Mr. Wong.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is that Suzy chapstick in the red and white outfit?
I don’t think so... Ms. Chapstick is more ....petite plus, no bib. I believe that shot is what photographers used to call “ local color”....

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bill Eisenhart had become familiar with me and the year after invited me to join him at Winter Park as a coach in his new Freestyle/Racing program
I met Bill Eisenhart in Winter Park, CO in 1977. He was selling real estate and my Parents bought a condo with his assistance in 1977. We still own the condo and spend time there every summer. Bill was a nice guy.

Royal

UTAH
Skier
Where did all those cool sweaters and jackets go? great pics, thanks for shareing!

Uncle-A

Skier
Where did all those cool sweaters and jackets go? great pics, thanks for shareing!
Unfortunately the cool sweaters have been replaced by the quarter zip fleece.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's also in the context of the equipment etc easy to forget just how good these guys were. Steep, choppy bumps, bad boots, terrible bindings, long and narrow skis with a lot of speed and air. Decent today, something else then

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's also in the context of the equipment etc easy to forget just how good these guys were.
When we were at the press conference for the US Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame in Park City. I asked Hilary Engisch and Andrew Wienbrech to stand. Hilary was maybe 5 foot nothing and Andrew was let's just say adult size. I asked Hilary what size ski she used when she competed in moguls, she said a 195cm. I asked Andrew what he skied on in GS, he said a 195cm. They were both quiet, then looked at each other and laughed.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Use to ski with Mike King (who won that event in 72?). Yes they were very good. Mike would and could ski a zipper line in the bumps then on a pair of 200s.

Uncle-A

Skier
Use to ski with Mike King (who won that event in 72?). Yes they were very good. Mike would and could ski a zipper line in the bumps then on a pair of 200s.
You have to remember that in 1972 you would be hard pressed to name a bump ski. They didn't show up in the manufacturers line for at least two or three years later.

Uncle-A

Skier
Maybe some of our more senior members can tell us when the first bump or freestyle skis first showed up on the market. Paging @Bill Talbot the site historian to share his expertise.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Maybe some of our more senior members can tell us when the first bump or freestyle skis first showed up on the market. Paging @Bill Talbot the site historian to share his expertise.

I can only make some educated guesses. I'm too young!
Freestyle skis started appearing in the early 70's and were flourishing by the mid 70's. K2, Olin, Rossi, the SKI, Head, Hexcel, Hart, Kastle, Kneissl, etc, etc. All the manufactures wanted in on the new action!

Here's some
Bump 09.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
I can only make some educated guesses. I'm too young!
Freestyle skis started appearing in the early 70's and were flourishing by the mid 70's. K2, Olin, Rossi, the SKI, Head, Hexcel, Hart, Kästle, Kneissl, etc, etc. All the manufactures wanted in on the new action!

Here's some
View attachment 139386
Hi Bill and thanks for the display that must have taken some time to put together. You have several different vintage skis, the oldest one I remember in that group is the Rossi Smash or maybe the K2 Winter heat. The youngest might be the Rossi on the far right side or the K2 next the Olin's. You might have a better handle on that as our historian than I do even though you are so young.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
You have to remember that in 1972 you would be hard pressed to name a bump ski. They didn't show up in the manufacturers line for at least two or three years later.
Mike won on Head XR-1's. Next year he skied for Olin and the Mark IV was just coming out, 1st grooveless ski I remember; and by 74 the 185 Mark IV was out the Ballet had to be right in that time frame too.

Uncle-A

Skier
Mike won on Head XR-1's. Next year he skied for Olin and the Mark IV was just coming out, 1st grooveless ski I remember; and by 74 the 185 Mark IV was out the Ballet had to be right in that time frame too.
I don't think the Head XR-1 was a bump ski but the Olin Mark IV definitely was and I agree it came out the 74 - 75 season. I don't remember if the original Mark IV was without a groove, I know later ones didn't. I had a pair of the later ones and they didn't have any groove. The first ski I remember without a groove was the K2's, they also were the first I remember with a base bevel.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
When we were at the press conference for the US Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame in Park City. I asked Hilary Engisch and Andrew Wienbrech to stand. Hilary was maybe 5 foot nothing and Andrew was let's just say adult size. I asked Hilary what size ski she used when she competed in moguls, she said a 195cm. I asked Andrew what he skied on in GS, he said a 195cm. They were both quiet, then looked at each other and laughed.

Yep, in alpine it was something that needed gentle explanation - that ski length was essentially independent of 'athlete length' instead it was based on a formula of the optimum footprint to get between x and y gates over between a and b metres on a gradient of,... FI cars are pretty much the same length irrespective of the height of the driver.

In the day it was a design length of 190-95 for ladies sl and 205 for mens [depending a bit on how the mfgr measured]

I suspect that in freestyle 'ballet' skis showed up earlier. The 255 was certainly marketed as an allrounder but had a campaign referencing bumps - 'you can tell a bumper, [or was it bump skier] by the skis he owns'.

The head Yahoo would be circa 1974. Around that point you would have had some folks skiing on long n narrow and others flipping to 'compact'. I guess the real question is which ski was first marketed as a bump ski?

Last edited: