• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sun Valley Freestyle '73 - Rick Glesner Photos

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
holy thread drift, Batman -

A lot here since Phil asked Hilary Englisch and Andrew Weinbrecht to compare the lengths of skis they skied in different eras -

Because this is a 1973 Sun Valley mogul thread, I believe many (myself included) thought Hilary Englisch skied in the 1970s -
Phil says, no(,) it was the 1980s -
by 1980, there were lots of freestyle specific models - available in a wide range of lengths ;
the better skiers still skied on long skis
( Bump skiers would likely be on a long, soft flexing ( But not too soft, Because they needed a ski with rapid rebound )
( Plake was skiing zipper lines on 207s. or 212s (in the '80s )
granted Hilary was not Plake - But a Strong, fast, compact skier in the early 1980s would certainly have been on a long ski. )

Andrew Weinbrecht ( -as Phil has pointed-out- ) skied and competed in a different era - GS skis of the 2010s. Not 210s, but GS skis of the era - which as Phil has said ( -including Andrew's report in Phil's tale - ) were 195cms.

different eras.

remember Dynastar Verticals ? or Rossis Smashs ? of Hart Freestyles and later F17s ?
( I would feel negligent not to mention the K2 Winterheat, though I did not see a lot of them where I skied...
( and K2 255s. I had a pair of 255s ; to me, they skied like a slalom ski ) - )
oh. and The Ski ! one of the early Free Spirit skis ! ! )

these were the later mogul skis of my younger days --

thanks for the memories... skiJ

postscript. Rossi also had a model they called the Freestyle - More than forty years later, I believe it preceded the Smash, and briefly shared space in the line with the (Rossi) Smash...

I heard someone say Rossi?! :)
1975-76 season, Exhibition S, Smash and Freestyle was their lineup.

Rossignol 1975-1976-skis.jpg

OK, just a few more...

Rossignol.JPG

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rossi was the first European brand that embraced this if I recall- this was in large part to the US HQ, in Williston if I remember correctly. Most of the other European brands were so embedded in racing culture they dismissed freestyle as a passing fad, Eventually, even Dynastar and Kniesel made ballet skis
View attachment 139555
OK, just a few more...

View attachment 139557

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier

View attachment 139555
OK, just a few more...

View attachment 139557
Rossi was the first European brand to embrace freestyle and that, if I remember correctly was due to the U.S. HQ in Williston. The other European brands were so entrenched in racing culture they dismissed freestyle as a passing fad. Eventually even Dynastar and Kniesel made ballet skis...

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
This thread is pure gold, can't believe I am just finding it now. Great great pictures from Sun Valley. I missed that entire scene by about 15 years. Circa 1981, I got some Rossi that iirc were mostly solid dark blue with maybe a tricolor chicken at the top. I can't find a picture of anything like that. Anyone remember anything like that?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This thread is pure gold, can't believe I am just finding it now. Great great pictures from Sun Valley. I missed that entire scene by about 15 years. Circa 1981, I got some Rossi that iirc were mostly solid dark blue with maybe a tricolor chicken at the top. I can't find a picture of anything like that. Anyone remember anything like that?
That sounds vaguely familiar but it may have been what was referred to as a “ package’ ski. Some brands would put a different top skin on a ski and big dealers would put together a package of skis boots and bindings at a certain price point.
If you bought them at a place like Herman’s, thats a possibility.

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I always liked the Rossi CM, it delivered good performance and could be skied by intermediate and up skier's. I sold a lot of them back in the day.
I sold a lot of Rossi smash and Freestyles as well in when I was in High school -they sort of sold themselves as the Rossi name was gold on the east coast at least. Marion Post , who I used to follow around like a puppy trying to learn her tricks was on Rossi and used the Jr. Freestyles for her ballet skis. Her sister, Ellen , was on K2 and at one point was using 233’s for ballet.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I was selling and skiing K2 Olin and some Heads. Lots of winterheats (liked that ski but not very durable. Lots of Cheeseburgers. Mark IV and IIIs. Yahoos were a big deal too. This was Anchorage so might have been a different mix than a lot of places.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I sold a lot of Rossi smash and Freestyles as well in when I was in High school -they sort of sold themselves as the Rossi name was gold on the east coast at least. Marion Post , who I used to follow around like a puppy trying to learn her tricks was on Rossi and used the Jr. Freestyles for her ballet skis. Her sister, Ellen , was on K2 and at one point was using 233’s for ballet.
We sold mostly Rossignol skis even though we had several other brands. The shop I worked in the longest (13 years) was the biggest Rossi dealer in the NE. Now I have a question for anyone that cares to answer. What color scheme was the Rossi ballet ski? Our shop only had two pair of them and I sold the last pair to a woman that was a regular customer that was so happy after she skied them. She was 5 ft nothing and maybe 98 LBS. She had so much fun on them even though she was not doing any ballet.

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier

yes - briefly in the early eighties, Rossi's 'race' line-up had a blue topsheet - though I do not remember it being as early as 1981
( 1982- 1983 ) ;
as noted earlier, there were 'package' skis that might have fit this description
( I am remembering a matte-finished navy blue ski that had lighter blue lettering ( a relatively non-descript ski )
but that run of Rossis , from before my time, through Tomba and Bode ( and Lindsey ) were good skis
( I had a cousin who taught on Saturdays, who every third year, got a new pair of Rossis slalom ski
( ST650, SLcompetition, 4s, (7S) ) )

I had forgotten the Exhibition(S)

( for a couple of decades, Rossi had a big piece of the pie )

Thanks for the memories... skiJ

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We sold mostly Rossignol skis even though we had several other brands. The shop I worked in the longest (13 years) was the biggest Rossi dealer in the NE. Now I have a question for anyone that cares to answer. What color scheme was the Rossi ballet ski? Our shop only had two pair of them and I sold the last pair to a woman that was a regular customer that was so happy after she skied them. She was 5 ft nothing and maybe 98 LBS. She had so much fun on them even though she was not doing any ballet.
They were(...Orange and red? - they were split lengthwise with a color on both sides and white lettering , the exact colors are fuzzy

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
They were(...Orange and red? - they were split lengthwise with a color on both sides and white lettering , the exact colors are fuzzy
No, the ballet ski was different and I will let a few others guess before I share the answer.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
green and white. At least something they made was green and white. Just not sure what it was.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner. It was a Green and White ski with White lettering on the Green strip part of the ski. Nice job, was it a guess, did you know the answer or did you own a pair?
I remember seeing green and white, short Rossis that had the same graphic layout as the orange Rossi Freestyle (Smash?). I figured it had to be the Ballet, but it was so long ago I don't always remember things right.

Sponsor

Staff online