• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sun Valley Freestyle '73 - Rick Glesner Photos

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I had forgotten the Exhibition(S)

( for a couple of decades, Rossi had a big piece of the pie )

Thanks for the memories... skiJ
The Exhibition - S was was a fine ski and an easy sell when they went to the two tone blue cosmetic. I seem to remember that the first top sheet colors didn't sell as well. The yellow background with blue and red stripes just was a tuff sell. A lot of customers back than liked to color coordinate the ski and binding, some still do. The two tone blue was very easy to match up with maybe the Tyrolia 260D or S 222 binding to make a custom happy.

Uncle-A

Skier
I remember seeing green and white, short Rossis that had the same graphic layout as the orange Rossi Freestyle (Smash?). I figured it had to be the Ballet, but it was so long ago I don't always remember things right.
Yes, it was a graphic like the Freestyle but the lettering was on the green not the white. It might have been a slightly gray-white like the CM but my memory is also questionable.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
@skiJ, @dan ross - = thanks ! At least I feel validated that it was possible. I am not sure on the exact year and it could have been either a package deal (from a small retail chain) or an oversell of the race ski, I have no idea. I did love those skis for a brief period before I woke up and realized I was a college student and was flat broke.

Uncle-A

Skier
@skiJ, @dan ross - = thanks ! At least I feel validated that it was possible. I am not sure on the exact year and it could have been either a package deal (from a small retail chain) or an oversell of the race ski, I have no idea. I did love those skis for a brief period before I woke up and realized I was a college student and was flat broke.
You have any photos of the skis? It would be great big help to ID them.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember seeing green and white, short Rossis that had the same graphic layout as the orange Rossi Freestyle (Smash?). I figured it had to be the Ballet, but it was so long ago I don't always remember things right.
I like green skis so I’m surprised I don’t remember them. I remember several reps in those days saying Green skis don’t sell except in Asia. The Ski was available in green ... in Japan only. Great looking skis. Might have a picture somewhere...

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Paging @Uncle-A we have another Rossi Ballet color scheme... I believe these are earlier...of these , the K2’s were my favorite-I had two pairs and wish I had them now....
5C67447D-4D10-418E-9A88-C55AA7B72B26.jpeg

Uncle-A

Skier
Paging @Uncle-A we have another Rossi Ballet color scheme... I believe these are earlier...of these , the K2’s were my favorite-I had two pairs and wish I had them now.... View attachment 139628
Wow, they look exactly like the Exhibition S with the yellow background, red and blue stripe plus black lettering. I wonder what the tails of the skis looks like?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow, they look exactly like the Exhibition S with the yellow background, red and blue stripe plus black lettering. I wonder what the tails of the skis looks like?
They were turned up but they weren’t rounded in this version if I recall but as I’ve proven, my memory isn’t ironclad. I think the width of the Sarners is interesting but not for me -I liked the sub 70 mm waists for quick edge release. The K2’s were very skinny and symmetrical but I never noticed any advantage in the symmetry - skiing backwards isn’t the opposite of skiing forwards-your knees don’t bend backwards (hopefully) Stiffer tails were an advantage for this very reason especially in the sub 150 lengths.

Sponsor

Staff online