• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sunglasses

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Since I need readers now, I have a hard time wearing polarized glasses unless I'm around water. Hard to find decent non-polarized sunglasses.
Can you explain why polarized glasses are incompatible with those of us who require reading glasses for reading?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Not arguing, trying to understand. If I have on any sunglasses and try to read a screen, I either pop the glasses up on my head or look underneath them.
But then you can't read if they are readers! Best solution for outdoor readers is those with a magnetised cat 3 pop on overlay (non polarized). Don't really use readers except when wearing contacts because ordinarily short sighted but have a couple of cheap pairs like that (seems like the best strategy with readers - have lots and leave them in many places)

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bernard-hinault-aviator-sunglasses-1980s.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
1657731402072.png

July 1997
Saint Valery by the shore
It was business as usual
In numbered kit 114
Oh Briko, Briko, because Briko
Allez! Vite! Allez! Vite!
a stage is won

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you explain why polarized glasses are incompatible with those of us who require reading glasses for reading?
For me, it makes everything fuzzy, even long distances. l use real readers when I need to see something close.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you get reader's that are tinted? Or are you going over the top of your reader's? Or are you switching from one to the other? BTW I tried sunglasses that were no magnification on top of the lens and at the bottom of the lens it was a 1.5 magnification it made me feel sick switching back and forth from one to the other. Now I go back and forth from plain sunglasses to clear readers. I also use the eyeglass strings to hange my reader's around my neck when not using them as well as the eyeglass strings on my sunglasses so at times I have two pairs of glasses hanging around my neck. It looks odd but I have been a square or nerd all my life why should I change now.
I go back and forth. I can't read much with tinted glasses. There was a brand of bifocal readers that seem to work well. My friend purchased the last pair and I keep forgetting the name of them.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Cyclists want to read their comps too - and thus the mid-price cycling bifocal was born:

and even some efforts towards price point:

OMG I need those

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
They are French and good. I really like mine and have skied with them since 1978.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I totally would LOVE to see Briko bring back the stingers in all those awesome totally euro color schemes

Chipo, OG baller.

View attachment 173320

July 1997
Saint Valery by the shore
It was business as usual
In numbered kit 114
Allez! Vite! Allez! Vite!
a stage is won

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I've got reader sunglasses from Walmart on line. These are for paddling. Can't read my phone in the sunlight anyways, but I can find small objects with them. $30 for 2 pair. I've also seen under the Coppertone label reader sunglasses at Costco.

Personally I like Oakley, but...$$

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I picked up a pair of their ‘casual’ glasses last time I was in Encinitas. Having been a oakley/spy/smith guy forever, Im quite impressed with their quality. Id consider some Blender ‘active’ glasses for sure.

They are pretty good right. I'm normally an Oakley gal but got a blenders discount code one day so tried out a pair. They seem to be very well made. I have a few pairs now. I don't wear traditional ski goggles and typically like Oakley windjackets which to me are like mini goggles. I bought a pair of blender Saturn clouds which are similar ish to the windjackets and OMG. They are amazing. I get compliments on my blenders all the time.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use safety glasses for cycling, especially mountain biking. Cheap, protective, if they get scratched , toss them. Lots of tints, styles. Go to your local safety supply , or order online from someplace like uline or tenaquip

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Safety glasses on the bike for me too. These are the ones I use:
Another vote for safety glasses. After trying a bunch, I've settled on the Pyramex Ztek in the blue mirror. They come in orange too:

Sponsor

Staff online