• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sunglasses

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Sunglasses challenge, go to the local Dollar store find the sunglasses and buy a pair for $1.00 or $1.25 and they will be 100% UV protection, they might even polarized or maybe not but they will be protecting your eyes. The rest is just fashion and hype.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OMG I need those
I got Tifosi Veloce matte black +2.5 bifocal reader to wearing w distance contacts for a bike tour. I discovered they are great for skiing. Also for fishing, shopping, reading on the beach, i.e. anything outdoors while wearing contacts. Price is right and they are light and have beef durable. Not so compact for form fitting pockets, but you can’t have everything.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Cyclists want to read their comps too - and thus the mid-price cycling bifocal was born:

and even some efforts towards price point:

I put those stick on bifocal dots on a pair of Vuarnet Glacier Glasses and a pair of Rayban Aviators. Done! I have cheaper ones for beating around the yard whacking weeds and stuff. Nothing compares to good super low distortion optical quality lenses though. For skiing or driving or other high involvement activities I prefer better..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for Tifosi. I like these w/2.0 reader and Light Night Fototec lens that doesn't get too dark -- so you can still see potholes in the shade:

Side note: The optics are good, but not quite great. Does anybody remember the optic quality of Nikon glasses from maybe 20 years ago when they dabbled in the market? I still miss mine.

Uncle-A

Skier
By far the best under $20 sunglasses are the J+S aviators available on Amazon. For prescription sunglasses, EyeBuyDirect.com is a great option. Both have gotten top reviews in recent years. Here's one.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/...omfortable-sturdy-aviators-js-classic-aviator
I really like aviators and the description on Amazon sounds a lot like my Foster Grant aviators that I only paid $15.00 for, but mine have a slight mirror finish on the lenses.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Never heard of those . . . and I'm an eye doc!!! Will definitely investigate. Curious . . . do you choose to stick them on the front or back surface of the lenses?
eyeball side of lens.. I bought a pair of bifocal shades and noticed all they were was these things glued on to the regular shades.. So DIY to some of my better RayBans and Vuarnets.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
Cheap, comes with multiple lenses; the pink/rose lens are great all-around. They are also ANSI Z87+ which exceeds the safety standards of most cycling glasses (ANSI Z87.1).

The Smith Wesson logo is not really noticeable unless someone is looking; in case you are afraid of offending someone (you really never know these days).

Uncle-A

Skier
Cheap, comes with multiple lenses; the pink/rose lens are great all-around. They are also ANSI Z87+ which exceeds the safety standards of most cycling glasses (ANSI Z87.1).

The Smith Wesson logo is not really noticeable unless someone is looking; in case you are afraid of offending someone (you really never know these days).
Definitely not offended by the S&W on the glasses because I use a pair of yellow lens shooting glasses made by Winchester on low light days instead of my ski goggles, and they work great.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Definitely not offended by the S&W on the glasses because I use a pair of yellow lens shooting glasses made by Winchester on low light days instead of my ski goggles, and they work great.
My wife joked about my yellow lenses that I use for driving in low visibility once. I asked her if the SUV in front of us was a Honda or a Toyota. She laughed and said "nice try". I handed her the glasses. She said "Oh! Toyota. Here, you put them back on".

Love those things. I can't remember where I got them or what brand they are, but they are intended for cycling. That much I remember.

Uncle-A

Skier
My wife joked about my yellow lenses that I use for driving in low visibility once. I asked her if the SUV in front of us was a Honda or a Toyota. She laughed and said "nice try". I handed her the glasses. She said "Oh! Toyota. Here, you put them back on".

Love those things. I can't remember where I got them or what brand they are, but they are intended for cycling. That much I remember.
Someone recommended the yellow lenses for driving at night, and I have tried them. Not sure it is an improvement at night, it seems they work better with some light, not as well at night.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since I need readers now, I have a hard time wearing polarized glasses unless I'm around water. Hard to find decent non-polarized sunglasses.
I've had that issue too. I found Smith Chromapop works well where other polarized options were weird.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really like aviators and the description on Amazon sounds a lot like my Foster Grant aviators that I only paid $15.00 for, but mine have a slight mirror finish on the lenses.
I never had much luck with Foster Grants lasting very long. The J+S aviators seem to be of much higher quality and come with a nice case. You have a choice of 2 lens sizes and multiple lens colors including mirrored.

Uncle-A

Skier
I never had much luck with Foster Grants lasting very long. The J+S aviators seem to be of much higher quality and come with a nice case. You have a choice of 2 lens sizes and multiple lens colors including mirrored.
Thanks for sharing, I have not had a problem with durability of my Foster Grant glasses. I will go back and take a second look, after all a quiver can apply to sunglasses as well as skis:)

Uncle-A

Skier
I was taking about this thread with my daughter and she suggested a company called Knockaround good sunglasses cheap. I tried on a pair that she was using and they were nice. They are very light weight, polarized and customizable starting at $20.00.

Sponsor

Staff online