• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Supplementary Oxygen

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Curious if anyone uses supplementary oxygen after skiing at high altitudes like Colorado? If so, how much (I.E. ten minutes on a machine) or some Boost oxygen or other?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i think there was a thread on this somewhere, but I think the take on it was to be effective for altitude sickness, you need to rent the oxygen concentrators like they have at aspen and run them throughout the night. vs canned o2 is only going to help if you are trying to recover from a max aerobic short term exertion like a 1 run sprint and less effective if you're at a continual low o2 situation

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife ended up in the ER after 2.5 days straight of unrelenting headaches the last time we went to A basin. Ended up her PO2 was in the basement and responded nicely to oxygen by face mask in about 30 minutes. Now she buys canned O2 anytime we travel to altitude. She takes a couple of hits a few times a day the first few days and feels that it helps a lot. Maybe placebo effect, but whatever works.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My wife ended up in the ER after 2.5 days straight of unrelenting headaches the last time we went to A basin. Ended up her PO2 was in the basement and responded nicely to oxygen by face mask in about 30 minutes. Now she buys canned O2 anytime we travel to altitude. She takes a couple of hits a few times a day the first few days and feels that it helps a lot. Maybe placebo effect, but whatever works.

Now that everyone has a Covid-purchase pulse oximeter, wouldn't it make sense for OP to do periodic tracking and take a hit when they see it dip?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used the OTC cans during one trip to Big Sky, I felt it helped a lot. During the 2018 GTG in Utah I was suffering a lot from the altitude, went to just about every shop in the valley and nobody had it, all said there was never proof it worked. Not easy to find, and from what I know, you can't travel with it. I have a history of asthma, so that was probably a factor

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
You ARE allowed to travel with the portable oxygen concentrator machines. Catrdiologists told me years ago to use one when I'm sleeping, regardless of the elevation I'm at, so we have a very non-portable concentrator at home. But I have a portable we take when traveling.

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
Oxygen is a treatment for acute mountain sickness (along with descending to lower altitude), but I prefer prophylaxis with Acetazolamide (Diamox). It's worked well for me for my annual trips from sea level to ski at A-Basin or Vail, with minimal side effects (other than having to pee more). I think that the threads on AMS have addressed this.

Other than those who are truly allergic to sulfa drugs, the only major downsides are that it has to be started a day ahead of ascent, and it's a prescription med.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
You ARE allowed to travel with the portable oxygen concentrator machines. Catrdiologists told me years ago to use one when I'm sleeping, regardless of the elevation I'm at, so we have a very non-portable concentrator at home. But I have a portable we take when traveling.
Re-upping this, as I’m considering using a portable machine when traveling at altitude. Do you bring a portable tank with nose cannula and sleep with it on? Or do you take 10-20 minutes of O2 several times a day when at altitude? Any success?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@palikona, are you spending the night at altitude? If so, consider getting your doctor to do an overnight O2 study where you wear a pulse ox overnight for a few nights while sleeping at altitude.

I think you've mentioned Summit County, CO, where I bet a majority of visitors who sleep up there would qualify for supplemental overnight oxygen if checked.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Re-upping this, as I’m considering using a portable machine when traveling at altitude. Do you bring a portable tank with nose cannula and sleep with it on? Or do you take 10-20 minutes of O2 several times a day when at altitude? Any success?

I think he's using a portable pressure swing adsorption machine - which does not retain concentrated oxygen under pressure when it's switched off.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think he's using a portable pressure swing adsorption machine - which does not retain concentrated oxygen under pressure when it's switched off.

Hmm, I’ll research these, as I don’t know how they work exactly. Thanks.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
@palikona, are you spending the night at altitude? If so, consider getting your doctor to do an overnight O2 study where you wear a pulse ox overnight for a few nights while sleeping at altitude.

I think you've mentioned Summit County, CO, where I bet a majority of visitors who sleep up there would qualify for supplemental overnight oxygen if checked.
I hadn’t thought of that. the thing is I’ve checked my O2 saturation levels often when up there this year and the pulse ox showed 96-98%.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to have a lower amount of O2 going to your brain vs what is being shown on a finger pulse ox?

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
We breathe more deeply when awake than while asleep. I use my concentrators while sleeping. I've used the portable while sleeping on the road. I'm at 500 feet above sea level now and still using. My walk-around oximeter is 93-96

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
We breathe more deeply when awake than while asleep. I use my concentrators while sleeping. I've used the portable while sleeping on the road. I'm at 500 feet above sea level now and still using. My walk-around oximeter is 93-96
May I ask: what do you do when skiing or walking around at altitude? Do you use a portable and wear it all the time or use it sporadically through the day?

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
May I ask: what do you do when skiing or walking around at altitude? Do you use a portable and wear it all the time or use it sporadically through the day?
When skiing or walking about at altitude, I generally keep an oxygen level in the mid-90s, If I overdo and have breathing issues, I'll employ the portable. Note that none of the portables work well at temperatures below 40 degrees.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
i think there was a thread on this somewhere, but I think the take on it was to be effective for altitude sickness, you need to rent the oxygen concentrators like they have at aspen and run them throughout the night. vs canned o2 is only going to help if you are trying to recover from a max aerobic short term exertion like a 1 run sprint and less effective if you're at a continual low o2 situation
I think the thread was about a headache after skiing that went on to be a headache after exercising.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
When skiing or walking about at altitude, I generally keep an oxygen level in the mid-90s, If I overdo and have breathing issues, I'll employ the portable. Note that none of the portables work well at temperatures below 40 degrees.
A few more questions:
-if skiing at high altitude, could one use a stationary concentrator all night and early AM, then ski for half a day then come back to the car and sit for an hour with a portable then go back out for another few hours, then go back to the hotel and sit for an hour with the stationary concentrator then go out and then sleep with it on, and likely have success?
-or could one sleep with a stationary concentrator on and only do that, and feel good for most of the following day?
-if one is sleeping with 2L of flow all night, which I read is equivalent to being at sea level, then you go about your day with no supplementary O2 at high altitude, will you feel it even more being at altitude, since your body was just used to being at sea level a few hours ago?

Last edited: