• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Supply Chain Issues in the Ski Industry

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is the news on any supply chain issues regarding ski equipment? I have noticed on some retail sites items that were already sold out, which seemed awfully early for 21/22 gear. I also poked my nose into the local ski shop and they didnt seem to have as big a selection as they have had in the past.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Manufacturers were saying there will be delays all year. Maybe another year before they catch up.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m hearing shipments will be more spread out over the winter whereas normally most product arrives at the beginning. If true, don’t give up on out of stock skis. But don’t wait on skis you want, either. Do the Head Supershapes still have microchips? That could be a problem.

Reactions: CYJ

James

Out There
Instructor
Hearing at the local shop of an issue with race skis. Supposedly they’re coming, but they don’t know.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I decided that I would buy heated socks this year - on the lookout for Lenz 6.0 socks, but I expect it may be months before any appear on the market

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Good topic. I think most insight will of course be anecdotal but seems some manufacturers are very late on their new lines.

Phenix for example usually has their Norway line available in September - and certainly in time for Solden.

Seems this year they just have speed suits to the athletes. Maybe the rest of the kit is on a plane now from Japan to Austria for the race.

I am sure it will be even harder to get a good deal on 165cm FIS SL skis this year also.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I didnt know if these are just isolated incidents or if it is more widespread.
Anybody remember that little pandemic that crippled the global economy and brought the world to a screeching halt? You're gonna be feeling the effects of that for a few years, in every industry...

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Race skis distributed to dealers and shops are in tough shape. Good thing they come from Europe, though.

Stuff ordered 3 months ago from big clubs directly through race reps are and have arrived, but in some cases there is a pecking order of who gets them first.

Some know it all parents have REALLY screwed the pooch for their kids this year.

I heard via top level coach that he has be hounding a parent for 3 months to order. On Monday, the dad said he never gets up to do this until snow is on the ground. “Plus, I have two friends who own shops.”

By Tuesday AM, his two dealer friends had told him no chance of their helping. He had planned on 3 pairs of SL, 2 GS. The coach then pulled a rabbit out of his hat. Begging a race director friend for one of each now, more in December.

My son, a ski coach, was in his local bike store the other day. They have a leftover bike in the rafters that he may buy. He said, I may just rebuild mine. Owner said he had been told that he should not plan on the parts until early spring……2024!

Yikes.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I heard via top level coach that he has be hounding a parent for 3 months to order. On Monday, the dad said he never gets up to do this until snow is on the ground. “Plus, I have two friends who own shops.”

By Tuesday AM, his two dealer friends had told him no chance of their helping. He had planned on 3 pairs of SL, 2 GS. The coach then pulled a rabbit out of his hat. Begging a race director friend for one of each now, more in December.

My son, a ski coach, was in his local bike store the other day. They have a leftover bike in the rafters that he may buy. He said, I may just rebuild mine. Owner said he had been told that he should not plan on the parts until early spring……2024!
Very few people understand that while things are getting better, many places throughout the world are still struggling with getting a grip on the pandemic. Many factories in Asia are STILL closed. Raw material suppliers aren't able to produce steel, aluminum, etc. and those that are are now charging 3-5 times as much for the same amount. You want to ship your goods around the world? A shipping container that was once $1,500 is now $15,000 and only a fraction of the fleet is available, the rest are stuck in ports around the world. People who think the pandemic is over and life is back to normal are going to be in for a big surprise.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very few people understand that while things are getting better, many places throughout the world are still struggling with getting a grip on the pandemic. Many factories in Asia are STILL closed. Raw material suppliers aren't able to produce steel, aluminum, etc. and those that are are now charging 3-5 times as much for the same amount. You want to ship your goods around the world? A shipping container that was once $1,500 is now $15,000 and only a fraction of the fleet is available, the rest are stuck in ports around the world. People who think the pandemic is over and life is back to normal are going to be in for a big surprise.
Total hijack here but since you‘re in this thread…will Atomic 2022 FIS slaloms (165) be much different than 2018?

I could have PM-d but I most of us like talking equipment so…

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I jumped on new skis, boots and bindings for my daughter two weeks ago because I see the writing on the wall.
I ordered bindings for skis I don't even have yet because I see the writing on the wall. I ordered a bike last week that I won't see for more than a year if the shipping dates on the order remain true.

I have an extra 30 rolls of TP in the basement... :ogbiggrin:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Industry as a whole has been built around warehousing in transport, unfortunately we have hit the ideal combination (COVID, shipping, lockdowns and politics) to bring it to a grinding fault (extreme slow down). Yes production is delayed, development is delayed.

As to skis find something you like get it while you can or wait till its available again.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I jumped on new skis, boots and bindings for my daughter two weeks ago because I see the writing on the wall.
I ordered bindings for skis I don't even have yet because I see the writing on the wall. I ordered a bike last week that I won't see for more than a year if the shipping dates on the order remain true.

I have an extra 30 rolls of TP in the basement... :ogbiggrin:
I'm not sure 30 is enough. Maybe I'm being too literal about it hitting the fan.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another reference point. I was at a race night locally tonight, 95% of the skis and boots the Atomic rep had on his stand was 20-21 stuff. As has been mentioned earlier top and connected athletes have got their gear but even supported Athletes and caoches have been told it will be January at least before they see any gear. So without connections - either directly or through your coach- grab what you can find