• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sweet Protection

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
All,

I am looking to purchase a new helmet next year and have been spending a lot of time looking at Sweet Protection. From what I can tell it looks like they are possibly making the most advanced helmets right now. The challenge with the information out there is it is hard to tell what the protective differences are between their models. As much as I can tell when you move from the switcher to the trooper you add a carbon shell with the plastic and when you move to the Grimnir it is all carbon. Not sure this is right? Can someone educate me here? Likewise also looked at the rooster which I think is an older model.

Similarly with new helmet maybe comes new goggles and there just aren't a lot of reviews. Both the interstellar and clockwork look quite interesting but hard to tell what the actual differences will be on the hill.

Thank you in advance for all help and opinions.

Neal

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The dirty truth in ski helmets is they are all going to protect about the same to their certification with just test differently by a couple a few percentage that will get lost in the noise considering the range of randomness that will happen in a crash.

The things that wull differences will be
1) mips or no mips
2) is it fis2013 rated or just the lower snowsport rating
3) Does it have more inches of foam or protective mateial? (just about all the helmets have the same depth of protective material)
4) New tech other than foams such as the honeycomb or hollowstraws are not yet proven to be more protective with the same depth of materials.

I'll find previous post where we had some links:
Post with discussion found here and some manufacturers that will actually be safer by using thicker helmets: https://www.pugski.com/threads/helmets-and-testing.15469/post-360286

From a podcast with a giro lead engineer, we cannot beat physics yet where your brain going at a particular velocity needs to slowed to stopped with 1 inch of material no matter what the material is. So all the helmets are basically going to protect the same at the same thickness and rating. There will be tradeoffs of highspeed vs lowspeed but you don't get magical gains. They can make a more protective helmet but it will be obviously bulkier and nobody will buy it for this market.

So don't get caught up thinking one is better than the other, esp within the same manufafturer and just because it costs more, what they are changing up is comfort and/or performance features, but not really the protection.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Its horrible to differentiate the models and choose 1, I have tried most of their models with different goggles. imho they just thave too many models now. Sweet beeing a "local to me" brand almost all stores here has all the models, and its like a full wall/cabinet and takes time testing the different models!

Most 2020 sweet helmets fits with their new googles, you will get a slight gap on each end with say a oakley flight deck, a tad better with airbrake XL

The Interstellar goggles and lenses has been very good to me, switching over is super easy, but carrying another lens in your jacket pocket/pants is pretty no bueno with the damn tabs sticking out. I also own flight deck and airbrake XL with most lenses. The interstellar lenses are built like TANKS vs the other lenses. I know there are some variable feedback on the interstellar, some saying it has been fogging between lenses etc, but for me all the lenses has been perfect, at different altitudes and variable conditions. Just this weekend it was freezing rain.

Both the switcher I, igniter II, trooper II are all winning choices, trooper II beeing most solid, its massive, igniter II light, cheap, very good, and switcher probably my favorite, as you have a good system to ventilate your head for when you get hot from heavy offpiste in heavy snow in trees, bootpacking or just working up a sweat in the park.

TS
N

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
Its horrible to differentiate the models and choose 1, I have tried most of their models with different goggles. imho they just thave too many models now. Sweet beeing a "local to me" brand almost all stores here has all the models, and its like a full wall/cabinet and takes time testing the different models!

Most 2020 sweet helmets fits with their new googles, you will get a slight gap on each end with say a oakley flight deck, a tad better with airbrake XL

The Interstellar goggles and lenses has been very good to me, switching over is super easy, but carrying another lens in your jacket pocket/pants is pretty no bueno with the damn tabs sticking out. I also own flight deck and airbrake XL with most lenses. The interstellar lenses are built like TANKS vs the other lenses. I know there are some variable feedback on the interstellar, some saying it has been fogging between lenses etc, but for me all the lenses has been perfect, at different altitudes and variable conditions. Just this weekend it was freezing rain.

Both the switcher I, igniter II, trooper II are all winning choices, trooper II beeing most solid, its massive, igniter II light, cheap, very good, and switcher probably my favorite, as you have a good system to ventilate your head for when you get hot from heavy offpiste in heavy snow in trees, bootpacking or just working up a sweat in the park.
Thanks so much this is helpful. I currently use the flight deck xm but was intrigued by both the intersteller and clockwork. I guess I will just need to try them both on.

On the helmet side how much bigger is the trooper II versus the switcher? I would go with the volta because I think it has the most tech and scored best in the report that was published in another thread, but I like audio and that doesn't work with that helmet.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
trooper II, switcher, Igniter II kinda feels the same size, and kinda look the same size on your head, the difference is in weight which you cannot really feel. Volta is more racing and a bit different. honestly there is no way around testing them all on your head. Good thing here is that any store with sweet helmets, has their new goggles, and usually others so you can test. Interestellar black frame with bonus lens is currently sold out all over europe so seems to have been a success.

If you have a white frame flight deck XM its easier to tell, a black frame will blend pretty decent, but its also a tad dependant on headshape/length.

I havent been able to test audio yet, spent all money on skis and goggles, I think SWEET just rebrands the chips 2.0 thingy.

TS
N

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
trooper II, switcher, Igniter II kinda feels the same size, and kinda look the same size on your head, the difference is in weight which you cannot really feel. Volta is more racing and a bit different. honestly there is no way around testing them all on your head. Good thing here is that any store with sweet helmets, has their new goggles, and usually others so you can test. Interestellar black frame with bonus lens is currently sold out all over europe so seems to have been a success.

If you have a white frame flight deck XM its easier to tell, a black frame will blend pretty decent, but its also a tad dependant on headshape/length.

I havent been able to test audio yet, spent all money on skis and goggles, I think SWEET just rebrands the chips 2.0 thingy.
Thanks so much. Yes it is just the chips, which i presently have and really like.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Not that the Clockwork is much lower profile goggle, meaning you get much better field of view. The Interstellar sits way out from the brim of the SP helmets. I have the Switcher and the Clockwork; it's a good pairing, but there are definitely some things I would change about both.

TS
N

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
Not that the Clockwork is much lower profile goggle, meaning you get much better field of view. The Interstellar sits way out from the brim of the SP helmets. I have the Switcher and the Clockwork; it's a good pairing, but there are definitely some things I would change about both.
What would those things be?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What would those things be?

SP Switcher Helmet Observations:
  • Shape is more round, but my head is more oval
  • Sizing adjustment (too tight and rubber surround drags on collar)
    • I had to remove the sizing adjustment mechanism because it dug into my neck
  • Cold - the ear flaps are not ear muffs, they're very open
  • Bad ergonomics for the vent control (too small for gloves, why not just use a slider?)
  • 2 vents in the back have no cover/control, so wind goes up the back of your head

SP Clockwork Goggles Observations:
  • Lens clarity is OK, but its not Zeal-level
  • Lens Fogging
  • Peripheral vision is fantastic
  • Face fit is excellent - I can breathe through my nose easily

Attachments

• 1583364403212.png
    1583364403212.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 34

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If a helmet doesn't fit really well, you will come to hate it. Start there and ignore the other claptrap until then.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If a helmet doesn't fit really well, you will come to hate it. Start there and ignore the other claptrap until then.

100% true. So in the case of the SP Switcher, I resorted to "extreme" methods to achieve that. I actually have altered the shape of the helmet using a very large wood clamp. I was able to narrow and elongate the helmet shape to match my oblong head. ;)

TS
N

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
SP Switcher Helmet Observations:
  • Shape is more round, but my head is more oval
  • Sizing adjustment (too tight and rubber surround drags on collar)
    • I had to remove the sizing adjustment mechanism because it dug into my neck
  • Cold - the ear flaps are not ear muffs, they're very open
  • Bad ergonomics for the vent control (too small for gloves, why not just use a slider?)
  • 2 vents in the back have no cover/control, so wind goes up the back of your head

SP Clockwork Goggles Observations:
  • Lens clarity is OK, but its not Zeal-level
  • Lens Fogging
  • Peripheral vision is fantastic
  • Face fit is excellent - I can breathe through my nose easily
Ok two questions on the goggles. How does the RIG compare to Oakley Prizm and what has your fogging issues been?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Ok two questions on the goggles. How does the RIG compare to Oakley Prizm and what has your fogging issues been?

Never skied with the Prizm. I did a hike in Taos and the goggles would not clear after the hike. I've never had that problem with the Zeal goggles. SP lens construction is quite different than anything else I've owned. They use a Gore-Tex seal to allow the double-layer lens to equalize the pressure between them and that design is supposed to prevent fogging, but I think they have more work to do on this one.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
If a helmet doesn't fit really well, you will come to hate it.
Yes, and...the protection isn't the best if there are gaps on the sides or the front & back. First find brands shaped like your head, then pick the brand and model that will work best for you.

Giro makes fine helmets. Not for me. The fit is wrong. Smith (probably others as well) works for me. Try before you buy.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, and...the protection isn't the best if there are gaps on the sides or the front & back. First find brands shaped like your head, then pick the brand and model that will work best for you.

Giro makes fine helmets. Not for me. The fit is wrong. Smith (probably others as well) works for me. Try before you buy.
reverse for me. I'm Team Giro and Team Oval heads. Team Round heads can go suck snow.

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
100% true. So in the case of the SP Switcher, I resorted to "extreme" methods to achieve that. I actually have altered the shape of the helmet using a very large wood clamp. I was able to narrow and elongate the helmet shape to match my oblong head. ;)
Without a pic of your shaved head I still feel lost. LOL. I am looking at the Igniter at 50% off. I believe the ergonomics on this helmet are same as Switcher. I currently wear the old Salomon Ranger so I have no idea how they compare. You provided good details though on those pesky vents.

parkrat

Booting up
Skier