• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swix UR Wax vs PS Wax

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey everyone -

Local shop carries swix wax - any thoughts on the UR series vs. the PS series for everyday training/recreational wax? Is the PS series worth ~50% more than the UR series?

New to tuning/waxing my own skis and trying to get a system down.

Thanks!

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
PS, is a entry level racing level wax, vs UR being made from recycled petroleum products (12:47)

The UR works fine as a general purpose wax. I use UR-10 (yellow) for hot-scrape and UR-8 as my general purpose wax.

I just buy the bulk bars from www.racewax.com, which is a PA-based company.

TS
B

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the info - I'll probably do the same.

And +1 for race wax - bought from them in the past and it was a great experience.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

IMO it comes down to that system you want to create. If you don't mind regular waxing, like before every other ski day, I see no reason not to use the UR for PA.

Especially if you're like me and tend to be quite generous with the amount of wax you give the ski to drink :D

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been using UR waxes on all my recreational skis (i.e. not race skis). It's pretty cheap and works well enough, plus they have wide temp ranges. It's not likely to be the absolute fastest wax, but unless you're racing that really doesn't matter.

TS
B

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Any thoughts on the UR universal wax (white/clear) vs the temp specific (red, blue, and yellow)?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Any thoughts on the UR universal wax (white/clear) vs the temp specific (red, blue, and yellow)?

Manmade snow in PA? Use the hardest wax you can get away with. There is no local ski resort anymore that doesn't spread out and groom their manmade snow in less than 24 hours after it was made.

The only reason to go softer than blue is for slush and semi-slush melting or rain events.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
interesting, I live where they make swix, yet Ive never seen their UR stuff

shops stock the PS and HS usually and some older stock of LF and HF

I did a search for most stores here, and nobody even carries the UR stuff except swix concept store/ swix direct. and there the price is the same for UR and PS

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Universal wax, while the carton does not specify the lower temperature limit, it's usually around 15 degrees F.

Plus, clear wax won't tint your base, especially if you have fancy graphics underneath

If you wax frequently, then you won't have to worry about the base burn along the edges with man-made snow (well, it looks more like ice pellets)

Lilledonmarco

Booting up
Skier
Ok, I somehow managed to get a huge shipment of the new Swix waxes. The red PS stuff is a very strange consisitency - think glue. The older stuff seems to be way better - if you can find it

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
red PS8...I can't complain tho - I managed to get MANY boxes for 1 NOK/box in the summer.
PS-8 is more of a warm wax, 25F to 39F

UR-8, also tinted red, has a temperature range 10F to 35F

headrush

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I recommend avoiding the Swix "universal" waxes. I have some "green universal" wax, probably 7 or 8 years old and it is complete garbage. Claimed temp range is +25 to -4 F. I have yet to determine in what conditions this wax works well, but at 15F on new snow it is some terrible wax.

I also have some Swix "red universal" wax. Claimed temp range is +36 to +10F. This is "mostly functional" wax but I think the lower limit it 20F. There have even been times when I felt this wax was fast.

For most conditions waxing really isn't necessary (in my opinion), I do it from force of habit. Possibly this opinion was formed as the result of using Swix universal waxes. Wax becomes very important in the spring when the snow gets sticky. Particularly if you ski on telemark gear.

The Swix website is terrible! What is the difference between F4 and UR? I don't even see the PS series on their website! Is it a current product? I am looking for a document which explains the various Swix products but I can't find anything. When I go to the Swix home page it appears they are only a clothing company. I conclude these people are idiots.

I am very happy wax companies are getting away from fluorinated wax. I believe the EU has outlawed fluronated wax. The US is terrible at regulating health hazards, and in Salt Lake City we drink all the fluronated wax deposited at the ski areas.

Last edited:

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
I recommend avoiding the Swix "universal" waxes. I have some "green universal" wax, probably 7 or 8 years old and it is complete garbage. Claimed temp range is +25 to -4 F. I have yet to determine in what conditions this wax works well, but at 15F on new snow it is some terrible wax.

I also have some Swix "red universal" wax. Claimed temp range is +36 to +10F. This is "mostly functional" wax but I think the lower limit it 20F. There have even been times when I felt this wax was fast.

For most conditions waxing really isn't necessary (in my opinion), I do it from force of habit. Possibly this opinion was formed as the result of using Swix universal waxes. Wax becomes very important in the spring when the snow gets sticky. Particularly if you ski on telemark gear.

The Swix website is terrible! What is the difference between F4 and UR? I don't even see the PS series on their website! Is it a current product? I am looking for a document which explains the various Swix products but I can't find anything. When I go to the Swix home page it appears they are only a clothing company. I conclude these people are idiots.

I am very happy wax companies are getting away from fluorinated wax. I believe the EU has outlawed fluronated wax. The US is terrible at regulating health hazards, and in Salt Lake City we drink all the fluronated wax deposited at the ski areas.
Yeah, their site is terrible. Thank goodness their wax is better than their website.

I use the Swix U180 Universal Wax on my resort powder skis and have had no problems. Also use it on my wife's skis and she has no problems either. I don't think I have ever found a range definition for that wax, though.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January