• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Lets hope they’re worn out and not still the overly stiff short version of that. Plank. Back when Volkl ruined every ski by making the next gen too stiff.

What can you do? The pink Chickstar would so clash with those boots. :geek::eek:
#socialmedianightmare

EDIT: wait, didn't you have a pair of FireArrow 84 EDTs? That would be an OK matchup.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Without you guys I would have never realized there was so much to look at and critique in that pic. :ogbiggrin:
I have to stop using my phone to view SKITALK the screen is too small to see all the stuff that is going on in this photo. I need a bigger picture so I can get the details.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Spotted in La Thuile last week.
1647864346724.png

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
You are correct, they are Tyrolia but I think they stopped using the Clix name after the Clix 90. They may or may not be Diagonal depending on the number on the binding. Based on the color of the bindings they look like the 230 and I don’t think that one is a Diagonal but I can't see what number is on the binding. Also you do remember correctly about the lifetime warranty, it was a great selling feature.

These Tyrolias ^^^ (?)

I am almost certain those are 480RDs -
top-of-the-line in the mid-1980s.

( see posts #25 and #26 in the 'All things Tyrolia' thread. ( Thanks, PhilPug. ) )

( skiJ )
20220313_124542-small-jpg.162836

I think it's the 390rd

m99369349161_1.jpg

It's the one between the 360 [the red or magnesium coloured one, the first one with the ultra retractable brake] and the 490. Other than the paintjob I am not sure there's any substantial differences.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
20220313_124542-small-jpg.162836

I think it's the 390rd

m99369349161_1.jpg

It's the one between the 360 [the red or magnesium coloured one, the first one with the ultra retractable brake] and the 490. Other than the paintjob I am not sure there's any substantial differences.
The 3 series had two rollers on the toe with Teflon on the wings. The 4 series had four rollers on the toe, one on each wing and two in the center. I have a pair of the 490RD mounted on my Kastle RX SL skis. Photo to follow or there may be one in the All Things Tyrolia thread.

Edit. The photo of 490RD is in post 27 of the All Things Tyrolia.
This photo of the SX boots is not clear enough to see the number on the binding. Could be 390RD it just isn't clear enough.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We can put a lot of the "rear entry suck" and "no good skier skis rear entry boots" talk to bed ... the fastest skier in the world skis in Salomon SX boots at 154.06 MPH :micdrop:

tempImagerkgcex.png

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
We can put a lot of the "rear entry suck" and "no good skier skis rear entry boots" talk to bed ... the fastest skier in the world skis in Salomon SX boots at 154.06 MPH :micdrop:

View attachment 164806
That's quite a franen-boot -

I see 91, 93, Force9 components -
no upper closure ( the latch/buckle would increase drag ) ;
no slider ( it looks like the upper is riveted to the lower )

does he use a strap to close the boot ?
GorillaTape ?

Thanks, Phil !

skiJ

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's quite a franen-boot -

I see 91, 93, Force9 components -
no upper closure ( the latch/buckle would increase drag ) ;
no slider ( it looks like the upper is riveted to the lower )

does he use a strap to close the boot ?
GorillaTape ?

Thanks, Phil !

skiJ
Not sure about how he straps the boot on but I got to help him get into the speed suit. It took me and one other fellow about 5 minutes to pull, tug, roll ,and otherwise squeeze him in. Another interesting fact: he said he went down at 130ish mph and the suit melted to his skin as he slid down the course. :geek:

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
can't argue with your exhibit, skipress -

I was seeing the red-and-white 490s,
and thinking the previous years top binding was a 480. nope.

390RD.

Thank you. skiJ

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
The 3 series had two rollers on the toe with Teflon on the wings. The 4 series had four rollers on the toe, one on each wing and two in the center. I have a pair of the 490RD mounted on my Kastle RX SL skis. Photo to follow or there may be one in the All Things Tyrolia thread.

Edit. The photo of 490RD is in post 27 of the All Things Tyrolia.
This photo of the SX boots is not clear enough to see the number on the binding. Could be 390RD it just isn't clear enough.
Ah yes the rollers, I was working on it being the 390 because of the colour scheme. The 490 [I think] had a contrasting heel hold down area [in the usual version, there were some mad multi colour efforts]

Great find on the boots Phil. However [and not to undermine Ross - I assume that's who this is - who is a heck of an athlete with cujones which must making walking difficult] but the fastest skier in the world is Ivan Origone (Italy) 254.958 km/h (158.424 mph)
can't argue with your exhibit, skipress -

I was seeing the red-and-white 490s,
and thinking the previous years top binding was a 480. nope.

390RD.

Thank you. skiJ
I'm sure the skier will be delighted when he takes them to an antique shop for appraisal :)

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
and not to undermine Ross
It is Ross. Should be "the fastest American, and Native American at that"! And you're right. I don't know how he gets them in the suit!

Sponsor

Staff online