• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Feb 17 at Blue Mountain in PA (my one and only day out this year). Looks like model 410?
20220217_113919_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Ah yes the rollers, I was working on it being the 390 because of the colour scheme. The 490 [I think] had a contrasting heel hold down area [in the usual version, there were some mad multi colour efforts]
In the All Things Tyrolia thread see post number 10 on page 1. The picture on the bottom of my three Tyrolia bindings. The black pair are 490D, the red and white pair are 490RD and the white spotted one's are the 490RD Calgary. All three pairs still work well and I would ski them all, I have relocated the red and white 490RD off the Kastle Mid Pro and on to a Kastle RX SL ski.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
In the All Things Tyrolia thread see post number 10 on page 1. The picture on the bottom of my three Tyrolia bindings. The black pair are 490D, the red and white pair are 490RD and the white spotted one's are the 490RD Calgary. All three pairs still work well and I would ski them all, I have relocated the red and white 490RD off the Kastle Mid Pro and on to a Kastle RX SL ski.
I must admit I hated working on the things - they always seemed to disintegrate when you took them off the ski

Some of the national distributors were variable so when the big USA recall took place they moved heaven and earth to avoid going near it - everything from US resorts are colder or higher than in europe so that's why the plastic fails to ah well you see they go to the USA on boats and that's bad for them

On the model I was thinking 3 series because the heel in the pic is one colour save for the now faded pink flash whereas on yours [save for the calgary] they have the spare parts look with the lever a different colour from the heel cup [not really the heelcup, the bit the adjustable heel radius fits into]

Uncle-A

Skier
I must admit I hated working on the things - they always seemed to disintegrate when you took them off the ski

Some of the national distributors were variable so when the big USA recall took place they moved heaven and earth to avoid going near it - everything from US resorts are colder or higher than in europe so that's why the plastic fails to ah well you see they go to the USA on boats and that's bad for them

On the model I was thinking 3 series because the heel in the pic is one colour save for the now faded pink flash whereas on yours [save for the calgary] they have the spare parts look with the lever a different colour from the heel cup [not really the heelcup, the bit the adjustable heel radius fits into]
I think the plastic disintegrated due to UV exposure. The clue to when that would happen is the grayish look to the plastic. I had an older 260D on my wife's skis disintegrate years ago. It also happened to the replaceable soles of her Nordica boots. The plastic from the 70's and early 80's did that from too much UV exposure. I think they have fixed it years ago.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I think the plastic disintegrated due to UV exposure.
So, what you're saying is: The place to buy used plastic bindings and ski boots is western Canada because in winter between fog, clouds, storms, and a minimum number of daylight hours on the rare occasions when the sun is shining, we have built in UV protection.:ogbiggrin:

Uncle-A

Skier
So, what you're saying is: The place to buy used plastic bindings and ski boots is western Canada because in winter between fog, clouds, storms, and a minimum number of daylight hours on the rare occasions when the sun is shining, we have built in UV protection.:ogbiggrin:
Did you forget about Alaska? :)

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think the plastic disintegrated due to UV exposure. The clue to when that would happen is the grayish look to the plastic. I had an older 260D on my wife's skis disintegrate years ago. It also happened to the replaceable soles of her Nordica boots. The plastic from the 70's and early 80's did that from too much UV exposure. I think they have fixed it years ago.
Yup it was UV. It was a long time back and as I recall it was something like delrin broke and zytel didn't, or vice versa :). Oh and that red ones were fine.

It was a pain because essentially everyone with Tyrolias had to check as it depended on the serial number too.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1988/t..., DC -- In cooperation,pose a risk of serious

The EU end, certainly in GB was 'cough' somewhat reluctant to discuss the matter and not best pleased when I wrote it up - hence the exercise in blaming boats, America having a different star as it's sun and so on :). Fair to say that I was not welcome 'on the Tyrolia stand' for a number of years.

Uncle-A

Skier
Yup it was UV. It was a long time back and as I recall it was something like delrin broke and zytel didn't, or vice versa :). Oh and that red ones were fine.

It was a pain because essentially everyone with Tyrolias had to check as it depended on the serial number too.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1988/tyrolia-recalls-ski-bindings#:~:text=WASHINGTON, DC -- In cooperation,pose a risk of serious

The EU end, certainly in GB was 'cough' somewhat reluctant to discuss the matter and not best pleased when I wrote it up - hence the exercise in blaming boats, America having a different star as it's sun and so on :). Fair to say that I was not welcome 'on the Tyrolia stand' for a number of years.
I have said before that at least Tyrolia had a recall. When Salomon had all the 727 plastic exploding heels they never had a recall. So who do you want to do business with?

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have said before that at least Tyrolia had a recall. When Salomon had all the 727 plastic exploding heels they never had a recall. So who do you want to do business with?

Ohhhh, tell me more? I was aware of some issues more recently with some Salomon pin inserts, oh and Line bindings....sshhhh :)

You re right on the recall, my point was really that it happened in the US but on this side of the pond some of the Tyrolia importers put their fingers in their ears and hummed loudly. When I wrote it up I had lots, and I do mean lots of people saying 'I went back to my ski shop and they told me to go away'.

I ended up just saying look this is what I know, these are the 'official' statements if you have this serial number on your binding call the importer and make some very loud noises about calling 'trading standards' [a government 'agency' that deals with questionable trading practices].

AFIK people who did that had their bindings replaced but it shouldn't have been a fight. The problem was not with Tyrolia, it was the national importers [though I don't know if Austria was trying to duck].

Uncle-A

Skier
Ohhhh, tell me more? I was aware of some issues more recently with some Salomon pin inserts, oh and Line bindings....sshhhh :)

You re right on the recall, my point was really that it happened in the US but on this side of the pond some of the Tyrolia importers put their fingers in their ears and hummed loudly. When I wrote it up I had lots, and I do mean lots of people saying 'I went back to my ski shop and they told me to go away'.

I ended up just saying look this is what I know, these are the 'official' statements if you have this serial number on your binding call the importer and make some very loud noises about calling 'trading standards' [a government 'agency' that deals with questionable trading practices].

AFIK people who did that had their bindings replaced but it shouldn't have been a fight. The problem was not with Tyrolia, it was the national importers [though I don't know if Austria was trying to duck].
The shop I worked here in Jersey during the time of the recall sent several back even for those that were not regular customers and some that were purchased else where. For our best customers I think we just replaced them with out having to wait for the new pair to be sent to us, than when the new ones came in we just put them into our stock. Keeping track of the paper work was a bit of an issue and telling the customers that the recall didn't cover the mounting fee was a bit of a drag.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s got to be the same as in @tch’s photo, no? How many white pristine Sx’s could there be?
Many?

There's no red words on our pair.
His is a higher-end boot than these.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January