• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
A slew of SX lately at Mammoth. May 15.
PXL_20230515_142920778.jpg
May 18.
PXL_20230518_154430792.jpg
Yesterday about 15 minutes apart.
PXL_20230519_204722899.jpg
PXL_20230519_210359184.jpg

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
A little story about an older guy on SX92's...me.
I returned to skiing about 15 years ago, life got in the way for too many years. My boots were SX92's, yup, white, black and pink (ugh).

First western trip was to Utah, bought a group lesson at Alta. While riding chair with our instructor, she commented about my old boots, and, not in a good way. At lessons end, she somewhat apologized and stated my skiing was much better than she predicted.

2 days later, at Snowbird, I happened to link up with a married couple who were instructors at Bellayre NY. He was a L3 and a founder of the ski school there, she was a L2. Sort of the same story, they told me my boots would not work in modern skiing. A couple of hours skiing with them, they sort of changed their minds. I did meet up with them later that year at Bellayre.

My first pair of modern boots were Salomon's and a major PITA to get into. So, yeah, there is a place for a rear entry boot for those who want to ski more for fun than performance. I've always been a little disappointed when getting new boots, the anticipated jump in performance on snow was less than I hoped for.

It's the Indian and not the arrow....true then....true now.

BTW, the SX92's went into the trash during a house moving. I wish they were somewhere in my attack not...just because.
Try these

https://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf/hf-110

The SX92 was a fantastic product and tweakable tiovery high levels of performance. These days old, white plastic with full removeable soles... risky under load but a freshly minted pair - for many skiers even today it would be a good options

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Mammoth May 24th, I call this guy "Levens", he was with the guy on snowblades making mini wiggles. Levens was also on blades but straightlining the wiggles, making a linked chain of dollar signs. $$$
PXL_20230524_182915496.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_4366.jpeg

Every day is retro day at Mt. Rose

What is sad is we did see him take a wipeout at the bottom of the hill. Not sure what happened and/or if it was an equipment failure.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 218568

What is sad is we did see him take a wipeout at the bottom of the hill. Not sure what happened and/or if it was an equipment failure.
I was getting ready to meet you at the lift when this guy was clicking into his bindings. The sound wasn't "solid" and I almost wondered if the bindings should be in the scary binding thread.

But I was like...."nothing to see here. move along."

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I was getting ready to meet you at the lift when this guy was clicking into his bindings. The sound wasn't "solid" and I almost wondered if the bindings should be in the scary binding thread.

But I was like...."nothing to see here. move along."
We have a scary binding thread?

James

Out There
Instructor
View attachment 218568

The guy has like 2 inches of space in front of his shin. Can the boot take that up or is he in the wrong one?

Not surprised he’s aft with so little support front.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not from this season, but if we're talking outfits View attachment 218588
see, that's what happens when invited to go skiing and you find out the night before that you put on too much weight to fit into your ski clothing!
...and to think, people wonder why I have so much clothing, the only constants are shoes and socks but they get rotated in and out of use for other reasons

Sponsor

Staff online