• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tahoe area All mtn/powder/wider skis for u14 girl racer?

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMHO FWIW -
I think that when you are on the "lighter" side its tougher to be on brands that have skis that fall in the too short or too long length. Finding the brands with the size break in your goldilocks length will be more helpful. It also seems that the majority of your skis have a turn radius of around 15m + which is on the longer side for a shorter ski. I only mention this b/c I think a lot of the women's "popular" skis have shorter turn radius - for example the Sheeva would be a 13m radius in your size compared to the 17m you are on now with your Volkls. You might hate or love that.

Softer, more playful, lazy is more like the Armada Trace you have. I have skied the Trace/er from several years ago in a 98 -super fun. DD actually has that as her powder ski and she a is a few inches/lbs more than you. But those are quite different than the Kenja/s Hells Bells of past. Other skis that are more playful with some float Black Crows Camox Birdie 97 or if you wanted narrower and softer Captis 87 Birdie? The Moment Hot Mess or Sierra are skis seem to fit the easy to ski/ float/ crud busting (you could check to see if you could demo directly from the factory). I'm sure the Stockli Nela would work as well as some Faction skis ;) ..... and as far as the usual suspects (Blizzard/Head/K2/Nordica) I know you said you would not be able to demo, but see what the mountain has - It always seems that Mammoth has more women's 156's than 172's to demo.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for your thoughts, @Tricia. I hesitate to say "powder-specific," in part because my brain is still thinking powder skis are over 100mm wide, and because I always feel like I'm going to die getting from KT to Headwall at Palisades, which is rarely powder. :)
Realistically, I don't ski anything much over 102 for a powder ski. I can imagine in your size something in the mid/high 90s could be your powder ski.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
1. Ask the coach what they are recommending

This. The only persion qualified to make a recommendation is the coach. They have watched the ahlete ski and develop. They know what sensations the athlete needs to capture to progress.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think that when you are on the "lighter" side its tougher to be on brands that have skis that fall in the too short or too long length. Finding the brands with the size break in your goldilocks length will be more helpful.
This is a really great insight. I'm skiing at Sugar Bowl this year, which doesn't have demos this year, so it makes the swapping out between runs thing difficult.

And to your point about turning radius, I was really surprised that most of my skis have a kind of long radius, which I only noticed when looking at this batch of ~90mm skis that seem to have more of a 12m or 13m radii (inside voice: "isn't that the turning radius of my SL skis??").

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
And to your point about turning radius, I was really surprised that most of my skis have a kind of long radius, which I only noticed when looking at this batch of ~90mm skis that seem to have more of a 12m or 13m radii (inside voice: "isn't that the turning radius of my SL skis??").
Well admittedly I'm a longer radius slut.... all but one of of my skis are 19m+/-. I don't know what that says about my skiing I'm sure someone could (will) analyze it.... I just know that there are a few of the more popular women's skis that I just don't get along with and ironically they all have very short radii......

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a really great insight. I'm skiing at Sugar Bowl this year, which doesn't have demos this year, so it makes the swapping out between runs thing difficult.

Another thought...
Of my stronger powder ski experiences in the Sierra, the skis had a bit of metal, a bit of tip rise and only slight tail rise.
These are the skis that helped power through the sierra powder, which tends to run a bit on the heavy side.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another thought...
Of my stronger powder ski experiences in the Sierra, the skis had a bit of metal, a bit of tip rise and only slight tail rise.
These are the skis that helped power through the sierra powder, which tends to run a bit on the heavy side.
Interesting. I skied the Volkl 100Eight a few years ago on a powder day, and really liked it, and thought that maybe it was because of the tail rocker? I tend to rush turns, especially in steeper terrain, and so I was thinking the rocker allowed me to pivot (aka, continue bad habits)? I have no idea.

TS
AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
This. The only persion qualified to make a recommendation is the coach. They have watched the ahlete ski and develop. They know what sensations the athlete needs to capture to progress.
Coach specifically said “buy anything…just not twin tip”

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If not the 2023 Kenja, then here's what I'm curious about:
* Liberty Genesis 90
* Nordica Santa Ana 93 (how much of a difference is there between this and the 88? Less metal in the 93, right?)
and, does anyone know anything about the Sego Lupine 92 (it's got a longer radius than the Genesis and Santa Ana...)?
- Liberty Genesis 90 is a fun ski, but I haven't spent any time in fresh snow on them. I would anticipate them to do well with what you describe you want.
- Santa Ana 93...In my opinion, I've never really enjoyed the Santa Ana line in heavy snow. They're amazing in lightweight fluff, but they just don't have the float for the heavier stuff, which I assume you get a lot skiing in the Sierras.
- Sorry no opinion on the Sego here.

The Fischer Ranger 90 is the first ski that came to my mind as a standout in soft snow performance in a 90-ish underfoot package. And they don't mind being lazily driven, but have enough beef to cut through chopped up, heavier snow. The smallest is a 156. If you're on an older Kenja in that same size, I would anticipate these to be a great size to lower the intensity, while remaining plenty stable.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh...I'll also add the Rossignol Sender 94Ti to that list as a solid contender. It skied very similarly to the Ranger, but with slightly more soft-snow bias. But it was the last ski I got on after a long day of demoing in REALLY heavy fresh snow, and I welcomed its forgiving nature on my tired legs. It's a ski you can drive as lazily as you want to, and it won't fight back. Pretty sure it comes in a 156 as well.

Then there's the Rallybird 92 for the women's version of the Sender... @Tricia would have more insight on that version, which I believe is the same construction, but with carbon instead of metal.

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If she has all the skis she needs for her race program….and the coach suggests a fun ski to have for a free ski….just get a Moment Sierra or Bella? Support the local brand….and most likely other girls will be on them too…

She gets plenty of training on her other skis and the quality coaching she is receiving….It’s a teenager..…if it’s for free ski days/snow days, get something “cool” and has a “local” following…

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
When I was in your shoes…

Coaches never cared or had any knowledge of free skis. Better to ask the other parents what they are getting.

Ski shop salespeople often underestimate the skill and strength of race kids and recommend too short or weak.

Some manufacturers don’t scale flex on shorter versions so the short ones can sometimes be super stiff.

My kid only wanted to make sure that they carved decently. They have fun floundering around in the powder but they like to rip the groomers too so not too slarvy/loose or center mounted.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Coach specifically said “buy anything…just not twin tip”

Maybe ask them what, specifically, your daughter needs to work on? If she has a race ski that she really vibes with maybe stay with that brand?

The way ski development works is that each brand has a stable of testers that gets flown around the world to ski during the development cycle to test prototypes and pre pros. The larger brands have a host of suoppliers and sometimes factories, so a race and rec ski can feel different, but have similar DNA. I am in the Stockli camp. Their production is very homogenous, and suppliers are limited. Consequently, very ski from my FIS race skis to the Laser line feels very similar.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I was in your shoes…

Coaches never cared or had any knowledge of free skis. Better to ask the other parents what they are getting.

Ski shop salespeople often underestimate the skill and strength of race kids and recommend too short or weak.

Some manufacturers don’t scale flex on shorter versions so the short ones can sometimes be super stiff.

My kid only wanted to make sure that they carved decently. They have fun floundering around in the powder but they like to rip the groomers too so not too slarvy/loose or center mounted.
I know the OP has already made a purchase and I expect they will be great skis for his daughter. Because I haven't been on snow in more than 5 months I have to tag on to what Silverback is saying.

This is a great summary of the problem with buying free skis for racers. The race coaches know race skis. For any given age or discipline there are maybe half a dozen options in total. It is easy to watch the kids on the Fischers, or Atomics, or whatever and understand how that ski might work for a specific racer. Free skis, maybe they have a relationship with a manufacturer and are aware of the full product line, but that isn't all that helpful. If the coach has a relationship with Rossi and they just pick something in the right width from the Black Ops line that isn't really helpful. There is no chance they have a working knowledge of the whole market. There must be 100 skis that could be options for someone looking for a soft snow oriented free ski.

If you ask at a shop they may know their offerings, but they won't understand the skier. When I walk into a shop I can describe myself and be taken at my word, but I am a 6'-2", 180# adult male. If you bring a 5'-3" 12 year old girl into a shop she can talk till she is blue in the face and unless they regularly ski with racers, they will not understand what she can do on a pair of skis. It would almost be better to have her wait in the car while the dad goes in and describes an adult former racer of the same size. Then after the sales person goes away the daughter can come in and look at the suggestions. I don't mean to knock the sales people, they are certainly recommending skis that 90% of kids would love to ski. They don't realize that a skilled U14 is going to be in the top 20%, probably higher, of all skiers on the mountain. U16, U18 and you are getting into the elite skiers on any hill. You can put them on a ski that will be too big or too stiff, but they will be skilled enough to ski any ski that they ride.

Whatever they get will need to be enough ski to let them lay it over and rip groomers. They have heard their coaches tell them to get forward 1,000 times, centered is not their natural inclination. They are not going to lock their legs, lean back, and swing it park rat style. They will charge and they need a ski that will let them do it.

Sponsor

Staff online