• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tahoe Spring Wax

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like it's going to be a long spring season this year in the Sierras. I'm not a racer, just a run of the mill Palisades all mountain, bump, powder skier. So, for guys like me, what wax do you guys like for the spring season in Tahoe? Blends, secret formulas, tricks....lets hear them.

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

When used correctly, it takes about 1 gram per ski. 2 grams for a pair.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I find Toko Yellow liquid paraffin works pretty well and is really easy to apply. (You can even spray it on in the parking lot before booting up, in a pinch.)
And again at lunch. Nothing rips wax off skis like Spring snow.

TS
Don't Skip Leg Day

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier

When used correctly, it takes about 1 gram per ski. 2 grams for a pair.
How many grams in that $130 bar? 100g?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's $130 wax is equivalent to an all-temperature wax. It's a harder wax so it works down to 19 degrees F. Old snow wax is probably going to have some graphite in it as an additive in addition to Fluoro (the Fluoro is why it costs $130)

Even the Race Zoom is $130 (for 100 grams)

TS
Don't Skip Leg Day

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any thoughts on Purl Yellow? Was thinking to use a Purl Yellow with some graphite/moly. I wax my skis after every ski day.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like it's going to be a long spring season this year in the Sierras. I'm not a racer, just a run of the mill Palisades all mountain, bump, powder skier. So, for guys like me, what wax do you guys like for the spring season in Tahoe? Blends, secret formulas, tricks....lets hear them.
FWIW, I really like your avatar image.

Jacques

Skier
That's $130 wax is equivalent to an all-temperature wax. It's a harder wax so it works down to 19 degrees F. Old snow wax is probably going to have some graphite in it as an additive in addition to Fluoro (the Fluoro is why it costs $130)

Even the Race Zoom is $130 (for 100 grams)
I have used much Race Zoom Old Snow. Works great! This season, all I have used are the paste waxes. Saved me a ton of time in the ski shop! All the paste have an antistatic component in them.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Haven't switched over to spring wax yet (maybe next week, depends on the sun) but in past years I have used a mix of just regular all-temp Dominator Zoom + the butter overlay. Worked pretty well but will be trying out Dominator FFC2 + Toko yellow liquid paraffin. The liquid stuff is just so much easier and quicker to apply on slopes.

TS
Don't Skip Leg Day

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
Haven't switched over to spring wax yet (maybe next week, depends on the sun) but in past years I have used a mix of just regular all-temp Dominator Zoom + the butter overlay. Worked pretty well but will be trying out Dominator FFC2 + Toko yellow liquid paraffin. The liquid stuff is just so much easier and quicker to apply on slopes.
Does the liquid stuff stay on in spring snow?

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does the liquid stuff stay on in spring snow?
I myself havent tried yet (only have experience with red) it but i read the review from @Philpug and was very interested. If I can recall correctly, he and Andy Mink? Tested both the iron on toko yellow and spray and found the durability to be similar for a day of spring skiing. That and how easy it is to apply was a seller for me

Jacques

Skier
I'd be willing to bet the FFC P2 will beat out any yellow (soft) wax.
After trying the FFC paste, let us know how it goes for you here, if you would be so kind: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/eve...ow-about-the-new-dominator-paste-waxes.29556/

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
When snow is dirty, which it often is in the spring, you don't want the softest wax. And you should try to keep you bases clean.
^This

l have a saying “No wax is better than the wrong wax”.

Sponsor

Staff online