• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Takeaways from the PSIA National Academy, 2022

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretend you’re not attached to the ski with bindings, but have to stay balanced on rubber mats on top of the skis.
Lifting the toes and the front of the foot (dorsiflexing) eliminates the support of the balls of the feet and automatically tips you forward.
These two idea seem contradictory to me. I think I understand the first, but the second... Lifting the toes is the opposite of athletic approach to dynamic balance in general. Seems like a bit of a diagnostic to find balance if you loose it in a specific way, not how you should ski just in general.

How would these ideas be applied concurrently?

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Tromano, if you've ever skied alpine parallel turns on telemark gear, this will make sense. I'm not a biomechanical fan of toe lifting. Instep yes. Toes, no. Anyhow, you get cuff contact without going over the front of the skis. Many instructors have a tendency to be cuff crushers which negatively impacts snow ski performance after apex.

It's also interesting to hear the RA guys are doing pretty much exactly what our training focuses are.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tromano, if you've ever skied alpine parallel turns on telemark gear, this will make sense. I'm not a biomechanical fan of toe lifting. Instep yes. Toes, no. Anyhow, you get cuff contact without going over the front of the skis. Many instructors have a tendency to be cuff crushers which negatively impacts snow ski performance after apex.

It's also interesting to hear the RA guys are doing pretty much exactly what our training focuses are.
Never skied tele gear. I definitely focus more on the soles of my feet than boot cuffs.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Me too.
Never skied tele gear. I definitely focus more on the soles of my feet than boot cuffs.

Closing (and opening) the ankle AND feeling the bottom of one's feet aren't mutually exclusive.... unless there's an isolated task you're working on.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me too.

Closing (and opening) the ankle AND feeling the bottom of one's feet aren't mutually exclusive.... unless there's an isolated task you're working on.

Right, but I thought we were talking about moving the toes, not flexing the ankle. Not sure which is opening /closing.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Right, but I thought we were talking about moving the toes, not flexing the ankle. Not sure which is opening /closing.

Lifting the toes closes the ankle (Doris-flexion) but that description doesn’t really do it for me either. That movement & description is too subtle for my taste. I get better response by pulling my feet up toward my knees, including my toes.
Crushing the boot comes from pushing the knees toward your toes.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

No need to elevate toes to close the ankle. Lift the instep. Let the toes relax.... there are a number of bio mechanical reasons to not lift the toes when skiing... more 'why' if I have time. Came straight from a PT friend who works with WC athletes.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
No need to elevate toes to close the ankle. Lift the instep. Let the toes relax.... there are a number of bio mechanical reasons to not lift the toes when skiing... more 'why' if I have time. Came straight from a PT friend who works with WC athletes.
For those who "Get it" I totally agree but working with beginners to ingrain centered, fore and aft balance, raising the toes can be more effective in creating the feeling of ankle tension. Once you "Get it" your advice is well taken. Bottom line is to create ankle tension.

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Yep. What Ron said in his video. It's also in line with my international trainers in my other thread: 2022 New Zealand Focuses (Rookie Academy.) Take a look and see what you think!

Last edited:

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep. What Ron said in his video. It's also in line with my international trainers in my other thread: 2022 New Zealand Focuses (Rookie Academy.) Take a look and see what you think!
Thanks for getting back to me.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January