• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Takeaways from the PSIA National Academy, 2022

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
the deflection point of maximum pressure back from the hill is usually around "4 o'clock," well before the tips cross the fall line.

This was confusing since assumed tips crossing the fall line would occur at 3 or 9 o'clock.
Allowing the maximum pressure to move up to 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock and change to a deflection against the bottom of the outside ski eliminates this and allows the skis to redirect out of the turn early and be light when crossing the fall line into the next transition.

Make sense?

This makes sense given the description of the clock. Instead of "crossing the fall line" would it be better to describe as "crossing the centerline of the run"? Each point across the run has a fall line but there's only one centerline.

1651263139937.png

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I love how images can be interpreted in different ways! I tend to believe 90% of lessons that fail are due to misunderstandings between the coach and the student in terms of what is being described and asked for.

Let me try to clarify my image:

If we are standing at the top of a run looking straight down and imagine a giant clock face in the snow in front of us, we are standing at 12 o’clock and straight down the hill is 6 o’clock.

Most skiers do not understand the concept of managing pressure, so when they ski around the "clock" and eventually ski across the fall line (i.e., perpendicular to it) at 6 o’clock, they feel the most pressure back from the hill at that point and most folks press down against it, usually resulting in chatter and/or ineffective skidding.

Allowing the maximum pressure to move up to 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock and change to a deflection against the bottom of the outside ski eliminates this and allows the skis to redirect out of the turn early and be light when crossing the fall line into the next transition.

Make sense?
Totally. This is the normal way of talking about handling pressure distribution in a turn. Confusion gone.

James

Out There
Instructor
Make sense?

Would you agree this is a pretty good example of being done by 4 and 8 o’clock?

Well he starts about 3:30 and 8:30 and maybe finishes at 5 and 7. (Helps to be wearing an analog watch!)

From 1:33 on. They’re very short turns.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Around 1:23 it looks like he has maximum pressure at 6:00. He's continuing to edge until the "center line." But elsewhere he's releasing just after his skis point downhill. 4:00 and 8:00 ish.

I could happily listen to that droning music all day while watching these turns. I wish more ski videos were shot from behind the skier.

EasternSkiBum

Booting up
Skier
I personally thought that dancing on the deck while it was snowing was totally rad... it was a great week for sure. Of course ending my season on a powder day maybe topped everything else. Can't wait to go back next year.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been using that one for a few seasons. Thinking of skate board grip tape on tops of the skis or the rubber mats. Imagine what that would feel like. You could not lift the edge of the ski, but you could press down on the other side. I think it makes you feel how you have to actually use your foot inside the boot to do tipping. If you imagine just moving your knees to the side you'd probably fall off the ski.
I can also see this keeping your neutral and centered of the ski becuse you are not using the binding to hold the boot in place.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Andreas Schifferer (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Schifferer) used to do a training drill where he would remove the heal piece from his bindings & ski that way with just his boot tucked under the toe piece.

Of course all of us can do the boots unbuckled drill. Personally I like to make sure the power strap is also undone & add “slow as you can go” turns or other balance drills.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Of course all of us can do the boots unbuckled drill. Personally I like to make sure the power strap is also undone & add “slow as you can go” turns or other balance drills.
I always got a kick out of this drill, when the instructor is skiing a 150 flex plug boot "unbuckled" which is probably snugger than the 120 flex 102mm shell that the student is in and is also a size too big. ;)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I always got a kick out of this drill, when the instructor is skiing a 150 flex plug boot "unbuckled" which is probably snugger than the 120 flex 102mm shell that the student is in and is also a size too big. ;)
^^Thank you for pointing that out.

James

Out There
Instructor
Almost no one does the boots unbuckled with students. Total non issue.
Plus, if you see if someone is near maxed out on the buckles, skiing with them loose won’t help.

It’s mostly done with instructors, and most of them are too concerned to even attempt it. It’s not worth talking anyone into it unless maybe you’re on the magic carpet.

I suggested once to someone who can’t flex their ankles in an RS130 race boot they try it on very easy terrain. It was met with a look like I just suggested they BASE jump off El Capitan.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Almost no one does the boots unbuckled with students. Total non issue.
Plus, if you see if someone is near maxed out on the buckles, skiing with them loose won’t help.

It’s mostly done with instructors, and most of them are too concerned to even attempt it. It’s not worth talking anyone into it unless maybe you’re on the magic carpet.

I'm wondering what is the goal when getting someone to ski with buckles unbuckled.

A. Let's assume the boots are 130+ flex for an advanced/expert skier, and those boots are sized down two sizes, and they are appropriately adjusted by a seasoned bootfitter, with grinding and punching, etc.
What's the goal of skiing with buckles unbuckled?

B. Let's assume the boots are a recreational fit for an intermediate skier. One inch+ behind the heel with a shell-check, and no attention to width or volume. The goal?

C. In both cases, let's assume the power straps stay cinched, but all four buckles are truly unbuckled.

Why do this? What's to be accomplished in these two cases?

James

Out There
Instructor
You wouldn’t do it in B)
C) if rigid power strap, it has to be loosened somewhat. Upper buckles should stay in the grooves so there’s something there eventually.

Fact is, if you can’t ski with your boots unbuckled on very easy terrain, they are likely too big. Or, you’re too dependent on the equipment to hold you up. You don’t use your feet in plantar flexion or get too out of position maybe where you can’t.

One could ski in AT boots on walk mode too. Hey, tele skiers ski alpine style all the time, even in moguls. They manage just fine.
People walk, even run, down stairs and balance on their feet just fine. Somehow, they’re going to get killed in ski boots unbuckled, skiing slowly?

So it’s partly about balance, partly about skiing smoothly with no sudden jerkiness. Though you could probably get away with some of that.

The Shifferer exercise with no heel piece is about being very smooth and precise with timing. No second chances with that! I wonder how fast he could go.
I think I need to try that one. Only demo binding I have now is on a stiff 104mm 26m, not the best ski for that.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You wouldn’t do it in B)
C) if rigid power strap, it has to be loosened somewhat. Upper buckles should stay in the grooves so there’s something there eventually.

Fact is, if you can’t ski with your boots unbuckled on very easy terrain, they are likely too big. Or, you’re too dependent on the equipment to hold you up. You don’t use your feet in plantar flexion or get too out of position maybe where you can’t.

One could ski in AT boots on walk mode too. Hey, tele skiers ski alpine style all the time, even in moguls. They manage just fine.
People walk, even run, down stairs and balance on their feet just fine. Somehow, they’re going to get killed in ski boots unbuckled, skiing slowly?

So it’s partly about balance, partly about skiing smoothly with no sudden jerkiness. Though you could probably get away with some of that.

The Shifferer exercise with no heel piece is about being very smooth and precise with timing. No second chances with that! I wonder how fast he could go.
I think I need to try that one. Only demo binding I have now is on a stiff 104mm 26m, not the best ski for that.
Yup. And, do it in leather tele boots, and pin bindings and you'll learn to ski with your feet, not the equipment. And then put your usual alpine boots and skis on and ski- you'll feel like a rock star.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Putting rubber mats (with a brake!) underfoot on an old pair of skis would be a great exercise for intermediate skiers.

Hmm...

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Matt: Not sure what you mean. Internet confusion, perhaps? You imagine a rubber mat underfoot, with no binding locking your foot to the ski. This helps you be sensitive to your balance point throughout the turn. You don't have an actual mat there. Perhaps you meant your suggestion as a joke?

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Text with the vid:
Skiing with your boots unbuckled is a great exercise for feeling how your feet work to make a ski turn. Taking away a lot of the help that you get from the upper cuff allows you to feel the little movements and adjustments you will make to get the ski to grip. Skiing with the top boot buckles loosely can also be a great test to see if your cuff alignment is helping or hindering you. If you find the top of the turn is easier to initiate or the end of the turn easier to not skid out with boot buckles looser, could be a sign you need to check your cuff alignment. These turns made here with cuffs unbuckled are from a video with @carv.ski where I wanted to show what I was doing with my feet not needing much support from the upper cuff and to show more of what was happening through the soles of the feet.

I take it unbuckling wouldn't really work well if the skier's style is to strongly pressure the front cuff with the toes and metatarsals raised?

Sponsor

Staff online