• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Takeaways from the PSIA National Academy, 2022

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Agreed, but with over 30,000 members, many of whom, unfortunately, are treading water in their lesson presentations and have no interest in staying current, this will be unlikely to change. Of course manuals can be updated and improved, but the majority of instructors don’t read them.

I feel bad for the students who sign up for a lesson and get a substandard product and I know the leaders of PSIA are very aware of the problem, but the size of the organisation makes it very difficult to effect systemwide change, unfortunately.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Agreed, but with over 30,000 members, many of whom, unfortunately, are treading water in their lesson presentations and have no interest in staying current, this will be unlikely to change. Of course manuals can be updated and improved, but the majority of instructors don’t read them.

I feel bad for the students who sign up for a lesson and get a substandard product and I know the leaders of PSIA are very aware of the problem, but the size of the organisation makes it very difficult to effect systemwide change, unfortunately.
I understand what you are saying. I agree that PSIA doesn't really have any control over how its members teach. The number of members is a contributing factor in this lack of control, but it's not the only factor.

There are smart well-informed people at the top of PSIA who write the manuals, make the videos, and who shape the certification exams and their preparatory materials. The fact that there are 30,000 members should not be stopping these well-informed PSIA insiders from talking about the functional role of the inside foot and leg in the resources they create.

But if these insiders approach that task with the mindset that the majority of instructors have no interest in staying current and that the resources they are preparing won't be utilized, then the organization has a deeply embedded problem at its core.

Last edited:

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a PSIA Alpine Technical Manual the other day. I found it impossible to read in bed. Half a page and, zzzzz. Not to mention it cost nearly as much as a Brown University Art History textbook...

It seems the PSIA, after dumping the stem christie, never really came up with a solid way for instructors to teach early parallel turn initiation. As well as our modern skis turn I'd think a little less emphasis on steering might be in order. At least the Europeans try with their "toppling" thing.

On one trip last season I had a few hours to kill for my airport shuttle so I hung around the base beginner area and watched the instructors. I won't name the area specifically (although it's in Utah and rhymes with Shark Shitty) but I was surprised and disappointed in its instructors' unkempt appearance and generally beaten-down demeanor. If they made me king I'd tell instructors who can't grow proper facial hair not to try and to pick uniforms that aren't two sizes too big. In one of my early years at PCSS Stein Eriksen picked out these skin-tight Bogner suits. Not sure how every last one of us didn't die of frostbite but, damn, we looked good (see avitar photo).

EasternSkiBum

Booting up
Skier
It seems the PSIA, after dumping the stem christie, never really came up with a solid way for instructors to teach early parallel turn initiation.
PSIA did not dump the stem christie... it's been relegated to a tactical move used in certain terrain and or conditions. I love my stem christie and have taught it on occasion. Parallel is nothing more than moving from a 1-2 move to both skis moving together. In other words opposing to simultaneous edges. This is accomplished when the student feels comfortable enough to move to their outside ski while steering their inside ski. Physics is alive and well. And yes I'm one of those clinic junkies that keeps current with PSIA dogma. Now PSIA abandoning balance as a skill can be argued both sides.

As well as our modern skis turn I'd think a little less emphasis on steering might be in order. At least the Europeans try with their "toppling" thing.
Which is why the 5 fundamentals where born. The rationale being that no matter what type of skis someone is riding these fundamentals are self evident.

pick uniforms that aren't two sizes too big.
I have to admit those Helly vail uniforms do not fit anyone right... when I got mine the medium was too snug and the large to was too big... everybody seemed to be having that problem. We were issued brand new stuff too.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive and well. Over 7,000 views. I'm impressed!

Leaving this afternoon for New Zealand and training at the Rookie Academy. Back in September. Maybe some new stuff to chew on with all of you!

Best!
Mike
Looking forward to your reporting back. Your technical posts are always fun to read.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Just read the last few posts. As a director at a PSIA member ski school, I can tell you PSIA national and regional does not tell me how our instructors dress for line up. They don't dictate our training schedule(s)... that's my job. I take full responsibility for the quality of our product and instructor training. Its always an ongoing project and fun challenge. PSIA provides a useful framework for certain discussions, but it seems alot of folks are misinformed regarding the scope of how PSIA operates. If the 'Shark Snitty' instructors look beat down, that's on local management. If poor lessons are being taught, that too is on local management.

(FW else IW, no one has ever told me we cannot coach or talk about the inside foot or leg.)

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Just read the last few posts. As a director at a PSIA member ski school, I can tell you PSIA national and regional does not tell me how our instructors dress for line up. They don't dictate our training schedule(s)... that's my job. I take full responsibility for the quality of our product and instructor training. Its always an ongoing project and fun challenge. PSIA provides a useful framework for certain discussions, but it seems alot of folks are misinformed regarding the scope of how PSIA operates. If the 'Shark Snitty' instructors look beat down, that's on local management. If poor lessons are being taught, that too is on local management.
So true. It does fall on the shoulders of local ski schools and the trainers they employ to offer strong and effective technical training to their instructional staff. PSIA's input is loosely suggestive and conceptually abstract rather than specific.

Not all ski schools have PSIA National Team members on their staff. Not all have PSIA examiners on staff. Many smaller hills don't even have PSIA Level III instructors on staff. At those ski schools the instructors will not have adequate training offered weekly at their home base as a part of the job. If anyone wants to complain about this, I'm with them.

PSIA exams are shaped well, and the examiners are highly trained and know exactly what they are looking for. PSIA does that part of its educational job well. But my beef as a loyal PSIA member has always been that the organization doesn't do enough to guide the technical ski school directors and their trainers as they build their training programs.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
That's a tough one. The most helpful thing for an SSD or ASD, if they aren't examiners, is to have the opportunity to observe exams.

FWIW, I have no interest in being an examiner though I'm involved in exam prep at the divisional level. By temperament, I'm a coach and motivator, not a gatekeeper. The latter might sound derogatory. It's not meant to be at all. It's just not my jam. I'd much rather build programs, help people achieve their goals, and hone our programs with the time I have available.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive and well. Over 7,000 views. I'm impressed!

Leaving this afternoon for New Zealand and training at the Rookie Academy. Back in September. Maybe some new stuff to chew on with all of you!

Best!
Mike
Looking forward to your reporting back.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor

(FW else IW, no one has ever told me we cannot coach or talk about the inside foot or leg.)
PSIA was formed to get away from having nationwide dictation of local ski school operations. USSA tried to do that before the instructors got together and said a resounding "NO"

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
PSIA was formed to get away from having nationwide dictation of local ski school operations. USSA tried to do that before the instructors got together and said a resounding "NO"

Of course back in the day, different schools even had different national affiliations.... (Schuss, French, Boyne, Austria, etc... ogsmile,)

To clarify, we do train staff under the PSIA umbrella and prepare them for PSIA exams, so we're not out in the weeds by any means. We have 3 current and 1 former div ed staff members and a former nat'l chair, so we're pretty onboard with things.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier

Do you audit what the instructors are actually teaching during the lessons vs. what they should teach according to your school's clinics?

I've seen some bad teaching at the best places...one thing I consistently see at Whistler (I know, CSIA, but with their rep they should be tops) is an instructor leading a group of students down a run with several in the group showing very poor technique. The instructor doesn't look back or doesn't stop and let the group pass them, so the poor students don't get the help they're paying for. There can be good instruction following a good instructor, I know, but there can also be a lack of instruction; I've seen it.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Do you audit what the instructors are actually teaching during the lessons vs. what they should teach according to your school's clinics?

I've seen some bad teaching at the best places...one thing I consistently see at Whistler (I know, CSIA, but with their rep they should be tops) is an instructor leading a group of students down a run with several in the group showing very poor technique. The instructor doesn't look back or doesn't stop and let the group pass them, so the poor students don't get the help they're paying for. There can be good instruction following a good instructor, I know, but there can also be a lack of instruction; I've seen it.

I look at outcomes, and yes, im on the hill watching and even skiing with groups. I'm not incredibly concerned with how an individual instructor gets there so long as there is safety, learning, and smiles involved. Regarding outcomes, I'm looking for guests skiing in functional dynamic balance with their feet under them, with skeletal structure, and not 'pushing' their tool (skis/snowboards) away from them.... managing forces, not resisting.

I'm not going to throw any instructor under the bus regarding your observation, because you may have only seen a brief snapshot of a lesson. Its also possible that you did in fact see some poor coaching. Toward the beginning of a session, its very easy to over coach without letting guests get themselves sorted without judgment. I will most certainly ask an instructor to name the people in their lesson, what their plan for the group was, what they thought went well, and what they felt could have gone better. I often watch them debrief their guests, and am listening for thoughtful, actionable detail. If they can't answer those questions, then we have some retraining to do. I also encourage coaching on the chair so more skiing happens on the hill.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This has been my take on the unbuckled exercise... it shows you how much your feet alone can contribute to making a turn when you aren't fully using the leverage offered by your boot cuffs.

The first time I did this exercise I was shocked, shocked, at how my heels lifted up and my shins collapsed forward. I had not known I was skiing on the balls of my feet until I unbuckled my cuffs. Just knowing that helped me start using the back half of my feet.
Skiing on xc skis is a pretty interesting demo of that as well.