• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Taos Gathering 2022 Dates Poll

Which Week?

• Jan 23 - Jan 29 2022

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Jan 30 - Feb 5 2022

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My pitch for the earlier week. I know many of you have heard it before, but presumably some haven't. If you're not coming from the east coast, ignore.

The best skiing in the east is reliably in February and March. Well, as reliable as anything ever is in the east. December is reliably bad, and January is reliably unreliable. It is COMMON for the man-made-only season to extend all the way through the month, with brown ground still the predominant backdrop past MLK weekend. When this happens it can mean that you are leaving for the main gathering with only two or three weeks of proper skiing under your belt, while folks who live in the West have been skiing their damn soft bumps and chutes for two months. I don't like that as I feel unprepared.

February is when it's just starting to get good at home. Why leave then, when you can go west in January instead? Capitalize on the Rocky Mountain weather patterns, which usually leave a decent snowpack by early January. Basically, extend the good part of your season earlier by a week.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The best skiing in the east is reliably in February and March.
True for New England, but not the mid-Atlantic. I'd say January and February, as it's the longest cold period for making snow. By the second weekend in March, things are closing or getting close.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
I'm going to try and make Taos this coming year - it looks like a great trip and my skiing could definitely use some lessons. I'm figuring a week makes no difference in snowpack or odds of new snow (right?), so leaning towards the earlier week, partly because it puts a bit more time between this and main Gathering, which I'd also like to get to. I've searched posts but can't find any news or location for the main Gathering - anybody know anything on that?

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Okay, thanks. So knowing it's Aspen makes the Ikon pass renewal decision easy at least. Now, I just have to work out how to break the news to my wife that I might be away on her birthday (again), and it will be on my second ski trip of the year. This might be tricky, especially since she loves to ski too, but is a teacher, so can't come on either trip...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My pitch for the earlier week. I know many of you have heard it before, but presumably some haven't. If you're not coming from the east coast, ignore.

The best skiing in the east is reliably in February and March. Well, as reliable as anything ever is in the east. December is reliably bad, and January is reliably unreliable. It is COMMON for the man-made-only season to extend all the way through the month, with brown ground still the predominant backdrop past MLK weekend. When this happens it can mean that you are leaving for the main gathering with only two or three weeks of proper skiing under your belt, while folks who live in the West have been skiing their damn soft bumps and chutes for two months. I don't like that as I feel unprepared.

February is when it's just starting to get good at home. Why leave then, when you can go west in January instead? Capitalize on the Rocky Mountain weather patterns, which usually leave a decent snowpack by early January. Basically, extend the good part of your season earlier by a week.
This. I voted for the first week. My skiing needs a Taos Ski Week, but I'll likely be slotted into a lower group and not with you fine skiers.:ogbiggrin: Killington bumps have helped me improve, but I need a lot of work.

Taos is Ikon, but I'm not clear on the pay-out for ski week. Does the package include lift tickets and the lessons? I can add Ikon on the the K season pass.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope to see you. Look at an atlas before you take off.

I did already. Taos is only a 5 hour side trip each way
Eh... it only adds like 25% to the drive time from Boston to Salt Lake... :)

Well, when you put it that way... but then again the journey is what makes the trip worthwhile. (Look at me, channeling Grump!)

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
This. I voted for the first week. My skiing needs a Taos Ski Week, but I'll likely be slotted into a lower group and not with you fine skiers.:ogbiggrin: Killington bumps have helped me improve, but I need a lot of work.

Taos is Ikon, but I'm not clear on the pay-out for ski week. Does the package include lift tickets and the lessons? I can add Ikon on the the K season pass.
I can't find a working link but IIRC it doesn't include lift tickets but you can add them at a discounted rate.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thinking about it but will be more of a game time decision. I am a wait and see kind of skier.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Well here's my pitch for the later week. @Philpug and @Tricia have never been able to make it to Taos due to the conflict with the ski show. In 2022, the ski show is during the earlier week in Taos. There's a "chance" that they could actually make it to Taos this time if we put it on the later week. Of course I have no idea what their remaining schedule is after the show, but they'll already be out in CO and it's not far to Taos from here.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lift tickets are (obviously) included in your Ikon pass if you have one. Booking a ski week is just the lessons - lift tickets are separate. The Snowsports Week price won't be posted until the fall, but in 2020 it was ~$330. That's a 2-hour small group lesson for 6 days.

You can see more on how the ski week works and what the Gathering is like in my trip report: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/the-taos-mini-gathering-2020-wasnt-so-mini.18749/

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well here's my pitch for the later week. @Philpug and @Tricia have never been able to make it to Taos due to the conflict with the ski show. In 2022, the ski show is during the earlier week in Taos. There's a "chance" that they could actually make it to Taos this time if we put it on the later week. Of course I have no idea what their remaining schedule is after the show, but they'll already be out in CO and it's not far to Taos from here.
That is very true we haven't been able to attend the event because of SIA/OR's conflicting scedule. We usually do have to follow up the show with on snow events aslong with other commitments. While we appreciate the thought, please do not adjust dates on our account, as much as we would liek to attend, we cannot commit but will try to attend if we can.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing official posted yet... but it will be Aspen, and pretty sure it will be the week of February 26th - March 5th.

Phew! Close enough for me. I've booked a condo Sunday to Sunday (Feb 27th - Mar 6th). Grump might still be skiing but I've got nothing to do but look forward to next year.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Voted for both, but prefer earlier.
Ranked choice voting would be nice.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Voted for both, but prefer earlier.
Ranked choice voting would be nice.
If you're OK with both, but prefer one, just pick that one. It's not like we're not going to have it altogether or anything if we don't get enough votes. :P

(Alternate answer... I don't think there's a way to do that with the forum SW :nono:)

Status
Not open for further replies.