• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Taos Gathering 2022 Dates Poll

Which Week?

• Jan 23 - Jan 29 2022

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Jan 30 - Feb 5 2022

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think that's right. I don't think we are trying to use this to get an attendee count; it's just for figuring out which of the two dates is most well liked among good faith potentials. Therefore voting for two choices out of two is effectively not voting at all. Wish I had thought that through when I set up the poll.
A point in every direction is the same as no point at all!! Stolen from "the land of point"

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Debating between the IKON base and full pass. We didn't get one last year but did receive the "previous passholder discount.". We are planning on attending the GTG ski week, so, would it be better to just get the full pass? Or buy a few day tickets when there? Prices go up tomorrow, so I am trying to decide :roflmao: Price difference would be roughly $560-580. I guess the question is, would I be able to get 3 (2 adult, 1 kid) for less than that?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I know I'm probably beating on a dead horse :snowball: but I couldn't find the icon for that so I'm wondering if there has been a discussion of moving Taos event to later in the season when Kachina is more likely to be open? I realize that going to Taos too late in the year means Ski Week may not be offered, and some people need time between main Gathering and Taos, but since I saw Mother's Day at A-Basin was moved up to when Pali (and other terrain this year) is open, I thought I should ask.

My only time skiing in New Mexico was mid-December 1992. The Christmas decorations (and culture and food) in Santa Fe and Taos were great, but snow was very thin. Since New Mexico snowfall is not always reliable, I'd have a hard time committing without seeing a decent base and good chance for Kachina.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Price difference would be roughly $560-580. I guess the question is, would I be able to get 3 (2 adult, 1 kid) for less than that?
If you get the base Ikon with 5 days, and plan to ski 6 days for the ski week, you're buying 3 addiional day tickets. Day tickets for 21-22 on the website are $135 for adults and $90 for youth. So the extra day would cost you $360.

Also, what is the "GTG Ski Week"?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you get the base Ikon with 5 days, and plan to ski 6 days for the ski week, you're buying 3 addiional day tickets. Day tickets for 21-22 on the website are $135 for adults and $90 for youth. So the extra day would cost you $360.

Also, what is the "GTG Ski Week"?
GTG= gathering. I thought that was the lingo we skitalkers were using :) So GTG ski week- the unofficial ski talk gathering at Taos also including those who want to take the famous lesson package.

Hmm.... decisions, decisons.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends on whether or not your want the extra ski day. Last year, I thought I would take a day off, but the lessons were so good that I didn't want to miss a day and ended up buying an additional lift ticket.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm wondering if there has been a discussion of moving Taos event to later in the season when Kachina is more likely to be open?
I've been to Taos several times around the end of January/beginning of February. If I remember correctly, Kachina was open all but one of those years. So I think it is late enough.

But.... Kachina was just newly open several of those years, or even opened while we were there. That is the time of year when a week can make a difference in the open terrrain. So that argues for the later week.

theNitza

Justin
Skier
I know I'm probably beating on a dead horse :snowball: but I couldn't find the icon for that so I'm wondering if there has been a discussion of moving Taos event to later in the season when Kachina is more likely to be open?
I'd be up for a later trip myself. I've been interested in catching a ski week based on everyone's glowing reviews, but the two weeks that get debated every year (this thread included) always seem to conflict with another yearly trip I'm involved with.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, we now have full passes for all the family. Taos here we come!

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to try and make it this year...typically has conflicted with one of my big trips. I'm going to make this the year, plus...I've always wanted to ski Taos!!!

James

Out There
Instructor
I voted for both to show I care, but don't really care which one.
So you don’t care... lol.
Doubt I could make it second week. It’s up for grabs if I can make it at all.
Are there deals for tickets with a ski week? You don’t get discount for extra tickets with Ikon?

since I saw Mother's Day at A-Basin was moved up to when Pali (and other terrain this year) is open, I thought I should ask.
The Taos gathering has to conform to non snow related things.

Ah... I usually see GTG as "Get ToGether" or "Good To Go"... I can't say I've seen it used for "Gathering", but that would work too. :)
Still the new guy?? ogsmile (Notice how much better this smile is than the horrible Apple style garbage above ^. You know Jobs has been buried awhile when the smileys and typography went to hell in a spaceship)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Are there deals for tickets with a ski week? You don’t get discount for extra tickets with Ikon?
No, and no. Though I think people have used each other Ikon buddy passes in the past to save a bit on the 6th day if you have Ikon base.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No, and no. Though I think people have used each other Ikon buddy passes in the past to save a bit on the 6th day if you have Ikon base.
I am contemplating the Killington 365 pass as it includes the Unlimited pass plus Ikon base on discount plus summer activities. I don't golf or mountain bike so it would be all about the flexibility and cost-savings afforded by the Ikon base. Besides Taos, I could visit the other Ikon resorts in NE. Are all ski weeks 6 days or some 5 days?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am contemplating the Killington 365 pass as it includes the Unlimited pass plus Ikon base on discount plus summer activities. I don't golf or mountain bike so it would be all about the flexibility and cost-savings afforded by the Ikon base. Besides Taos, I could visit the other Ikon resorts in NE. Are all ski weeks 6 days or some 5 days?
Technically they are all 6 days, Sunday through Friday. But they do allow folks to join on Monday if need be, so you could do it as 5 days. Still the same cost though.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I skied 8 out of my 7 Ikon days, I looked online for the cheapest day of the week (wound up being Thursday). I left my Ikon in the car and used the one-day ticket that day. It wound up being about five or ten dollars more than the buddy discount, but it saved me from having to bother someone to walk from the boot-up back to the ticket office.

I believe that because of Covid distancing, buddy passes were available remotely this year. If they do that again, that reduces the hassle factor.

I've never used any of my Ikon buddy pass discounts, so I'm certainly open to using them.

In past years, a direct Taos season pass got bigger buddy discounts than the Ikon. Worth checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online