• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Taos Gathering 2022 Dates Poll

Which Week?

• Jan 23 - Jan 29 2022

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Jan 30 - Feb 5 2022

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here’s to new horizons!
I’m sure @KingGrump has plenty of fish sauce packed with the skis. No need to bring it on the plane.
Taos Ski Valley is only slightly north of Nashville, TN. So this sauce with line-caught anchovies comes from “the north”. That’s a lotta hooks. (totally made up)
View attachment 135333
For the octopus, a washing machine. No need to bring that on the plane either.
Can’t make this stuff up!-
——————-
...I recently read that fish mongers in Italy beat the octopus against the rocks by the sea to tenderize it before cooking it. Since we live in a downtown condo here in Toronto, beating octopus against rocks just wasn’t feasible. Instead, I double bagged the octopus and ran it through the spin cycle in my washing machine. I must say this preparation created the most tender octopus we have ever made yet...
———————-
www.italianfoodforever.com/2008/06/grilled-octopus/
Good sauce. I picked up my bottle in Albany at an Asian market on Christmas day after dropping my daughter off at the airport. Also the rest of the ingredients for Panang curry to put over roast duck. But I like octopus as well...

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the special coffee shop at the Taos gathering. Watch out for Viennese Cinnamon.

Now I understand why the counter in front of the coffee machine is so tall....
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if I'll make it or not. I'm in the planning stages of a road trip, provided my achilles is healed. Thinking about the PNW and Canada if the border opens.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Not sure if I'll make it or not. I'm in the planning stages of a road trip, provided my achilles is healed. Thinking about the PNW and Canada if the border opens.

Watch weather trends. It is shaping up to be a good year for southern Rockies as per the moisture that we are seeing, and NOAA long-term. There are years where it just wasn't even worth skiing the PNW. Nothing but roots and rocks, even at places like Baker.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:popcorn:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S,

Since you put forth the effort to start this thread, I for one defer to you to make the call on which week. (hint, pick my week, #2) If the poll produced an obvious winner, it would be a no brainer. I think we need someone to step up to the plate and make the call. We could always do rock, paper, scissors instead, but I for one would like to peruse flights pretty soon.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No thought that later is better for terrain opening?

The earlier week will probably has more rocks showing. Makes for more interesting skiing. :ogcool:

TBH, my experience with January snow condition at Taos is that it is totally dependent on early season. Don't really feel a week makes all that much difference. There is always enough terrain available.
I really think the extra week of separation between the two western gatherings is beneficial to those still participating in that four letter word activity starts with a "W".

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
I really think the extra week of separation between the two western gatherings is beneficial to those still participating in that four letter word activity starts with a "W".

As someone currently participating in said activity I agree that the extra week or separation would be very helpful.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is always enough terrain available.
This reminds me of a mountain biker I know who says, "If you think the trail is too easy, you're not going fast enough."

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, now @dbostedo is the Godfather?ogsmile
I understand. You found paradise skiing in America, had a good day, made an underpaid living. Ski patrol protected you; and there were dreams of Taos. And you didn't need a friend like me. But uh, now you come to me and you say -- "dbostedo pick a date." -- But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer to even ski with us. You don't even think to call me Gathermeister. Instead, you write a post to me, and you ask me to come up with set plans, for no money....

...Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, consider this date selection a gift...

:D

I say we go with:

Jan 22 - Jan 29 2022 (that's Saturday-to-Saturday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor