• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos just keeps getting better (for me anyway!)

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
You three are still confusing each other. Tex, the run KG and mdf are talking about is not very visible in the pic. It's LITERALLY under the lift. I came down it early in the week with Dean and Olesya and they were not grateful for my route finding.
I'm not confused, I put a red line where Nastar is. It is probably the same steepness as under the lift, they are right next to each other.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You three are still confusing each other.

Don't know about those other two. I know exactly what I am talking about. Some people are born confused. Not my job to fix that.

I came down it early in the week with Dean and Olesya and they were not grateful for my route finding.

Now you know how I felt most of the time skiing with you guys.

Bunch of ingrates.

I skied that once, it was pretty troughed out when I skied it.

That's when the fun begins. Like a roller coaster with consequences.

Reactions: Tex

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For sure more of a challange to pick your spots to turn, but it is also not as narrow as Nastar.

We are probably talking about different lines. The line under the lift is much narrower than Nastar Chute. The line under the lift is a crown while Nastar Chute is a gully. Tough to fall out of a gully.

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
I use an Olympus TG-5, like this:

https ://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Waterproof-Camera-3-Inch-Black/dp/B0711C1R4X/

And I run all the photos in raw format through Photoshop to adjust exposure, color, contrast, etc. myself. Frankly, most good cell phones are better cameras these days, but they don't usually have optical zoom, and they're more fiddly to use. The Olympus I can use with gloves on, toss around, drop in the snow, or on concrete, etc. without ill effects. It's a little thicker than I'd like, but it works.
Very cool! I knew those pics were too nice to be from a phone!

I've been using a Canon SL3 for a lot of photography, but haven't ever worked up the courage to bring it (and its zero amount of waterproofing) onto the mountain.

Neurodrive

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for putting together such a detailed report of your trip. I’ve been a long-time lurker on these forums and was hoping to finally try and jump into Skitalk trip, but unfortunately was not able to make this one. Not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions, but you all seem like Taos experts so here goes.

I was thinking of doing a Taos ski week in late March. Is this still a good time or is it too late in the season?

Are any of the ski week groups catered to less skilled skiers? I feel strong on groomed runs since that is all we have in the Midwest, but I am only just starting to get into moguls and off-piste skiing.

Will I be okay with narrower skis (Liberty V76) or will I need to look into renting wider skis?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. And yes. And yes. And Maybe.

Your skis should be fine, but if you get lucky and there is a dump, or you get unlucky and the snow gets a bit slushy, you might want to consider something wider. There are plenty of places to do that at the area. Your instructor can guide you on what to look for when and if you need to.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I knew those pics were too nice to be from a phone!
I disagree with that. You can get probably get "better" pics (in terms of the raw data, dynamic range, colors, and resolution) from a good camera phone. It's just the lens that would be different. I've seen stunning pics from phones. (Actually, a few of those pics are from my phone... a Samsung S21. I think just the DC one, the backyard and robe pics, and the lift 1 pic.)

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for putting together such a detailed report of your trip. I’ve been a long-time lurker on these forums and was hoping to finally try and jump into Skitalk trip, but unfortunately was not able to make this one. Not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions, but you all seem like Taos experts so here goes.

I was thinking of doing a Taos ski week in late March. Is this still a good time or is it too late in the season?

Are any of the ski week groups catered to less skilled skiers? I feel strong on groomed runs since that is all we have in the Midwest, but I am only just starting to get into moguls and off-piste skiing.

Will I be okay with narrower skis (Liberty V76) or will I need to look into renting wider skis?

Yes. And yes. And yes. And Maybe.

Your skis should be fine, but if you get lucky and there is a dump, or you get unlucky and the snow gets a bit slushy, you might want to consider something wider. There are plenty of places to do that at the area. Your instructor can guide you on what to look for when and if you need to.

I'll echo Jerez and say yes... go take a ski week. My first couple I was just barely learning to ski moguls and couldn't even really handle the easiest ones. They'll get you squared away!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
We are probably talking about different lines. The line under the lift is much narrower than Nastar Chute. The line under the lift is a crown while Nastar Chute is a gully. Tough to fall out of a gully.
I think you are talking "lines", and I'm talking "runs"? Under the lift, you basically have 2 lines, one on each side of the lift pole. Nastar Chute, at its narrowest point, is one line. So, I think, you are saying the line(s) under the lift are narrower than "the line" in the Nastar Chute. I would agree with that. But if you measure "tree to tree" under the lift vs "rock to rock" in the Nastar chute, Nastar is narrower. So my point on all this, per Christine, Nastar forces you to turn, vs under the lift you can cheat and make GS turns down, just make sure you do not hit a lift pole.

Again if you disagree I'm bringing my tape measure next trip.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you are talking "lines", and I'm talking "runs"? Under the lift, you basically have 2 lines, one on each side of the lift pole. Nastar Chute, at its narrowest point, is one line. So, I think, you are saying the line(s) under the lift are narrower than "the line" in the Nastar Chute. I would agree with that. But if you measure "tree to tree" under the lift vs "rock to rock" in the Nastar chute, Nastar is narrower. So my point on all this, per Christine, Nastar forces you to turn, vs under the lift you can cheat and make GS turns down, just make sure you do not hit a lift pole.

Again if you disagree I'm bringing my tape measure next trip.

No, the run underneath the chair is exactly that. Underneath the chair. Following the lift tower down. My head is few feet from the skis dangling from the chair. The run is about 1-1/2 wide. Nastar chute is a gully about 4 bumps wide in comparison. Nastar chute can be seen in the photo. The lift line is difficult to see because it is in the trees.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No, the run underneath the chair is exactly that. Underneath the chair. Following the lift tower down. My head is few feet from the skis dangling from the chair. The run is about 1-1/2 wide. Nastar chute is a gully about 4 bumps wide in comparison. Nastar chute can be seen in the photo. The lift line is difficult to see because it is in the trees.
I watched you coming down that one day from the lift... the lower section not far above the base of the lift. It seemed really narrow. Didn't get my camera out in time to take a pic.

But I don't know for sure which one is narrower... probably the liftline (green arrow) and not Nastar (blue arrow):

1676679253594.png

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Late March will be fine. Taos ski weeks covers level 1 to 10. There is a group for every level. From never ever to expert. You can looks up the levels on their site. You will be doing a ski off for them to slot you into the proper group.

We are heading out to the SLC gathering and Jackson at the end of next week. We'll be back in Taos after 3/18. Give me a shout if you want to do few runs together.

Sponsor

Staff online