• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@KingGrump @Pumba @mdf @Sandy_NYC

Last season we almost got a group together to have a meet-up in Taos and do some ski-weeks. The low snow year kind of killed that though.

So I thought we could give it a shot again this season... anyone and everyone would be welcome, and everyone would be responsible for themselves - just show up the right week. Personally, I'm going to spend a week there whether this works out or not, so it would be cool to meet up with some other folks.

If you haven't done a Ski Week before (technically, Taos calls is a "Snowsports Week" to be inclusive of snowboard lessons too), it's a good deal, and well worth it. You get six 2-hour small group lessons - one each morning Sunday through Friday - for a good price. Last year it was $220; This year's price is not published yet. Taos instructors and lesson programs are very well regarded, and I had a great time and learned a lot. (My trip report is here : https://www.pugski.com/threads/taos-ski-week-2-3-18-2-10-18.8665/)

From the Taos IKON thread :
...timing-wise, I think late Jan/early Feb would be ideal for those with full-time jobs who also intend to go to the Gathering which is late Feb/early March. This gives you a few weeks to show your face at work before leaving for another trip.....

I think this is a good idea, and late January/early February would be good. That means the likely weeks would be (all dates are Saturdays) :

January 12th - January 19th
January 19th - January 26th
January 26th - February 2nd
February 2nd - February 9th
February 9th - February 16th

Personally, that last week is getting too close to the Big Sky Gathering, and I'd like to avoid MLK week, which would be in the January 19th - 26th week. So my preference would be January 26th - February 2nd, or February 2nd - February 9th.

The other option, again avoiding the main Gathering, would be late March... not sure what the end of season is like out there. They usually close in early April.

Any other thoughts? Any NM locals or regulars who'd like to weigh in? Or folks from last year's "Taos!" thread? @pais alto , @Jerez , @clong83 , @Snowfan , @Crank , @Eddie S , @HDSkiing , @Tony S , @Monique , @ADKmel , @albertanskigirl , @Unpiste , @CalG ?

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm planning to be there February 10-16 (possibly arriving a few days early; I bought a pass when it was $350). I did a week last year, and even with the low snow coverage, it was well worth the trip. Lodging is super easy, the area is quite nice, and on-mountain food is actually reasonably priced.

Also, it doesn't hurt if @KingGrump and family happen to be around for the afternoon sessions. ;)

Last edited:

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Sandy_NYC and I are locked in to go no matter what, because we’ve already paid for an air bnb we were supposed to use last year. Regardless of the snow situation I’m pretty sure we’ll go. Learning to ski on ice has always been a goal, and if there’s fresh snow, that’s a bonus.

The weeks @dbostedo mentions are also my preference - either last week of Jan or first week of feb.

It will be a good warm up for the gathering and based on my one experience there, the place and town is just cool - with the low key vibe plus diverse, friendly and interesting people you might meet everywhere. It’s refreshing.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm planning to be there February 10-16 (possibly arriving a few days early; I bought a pass when it was $350). I did a week last year, and even with the low snow coverage, it was well worth the trip. Lodging is super easy, the area is quite nice, and on-mountain food is actually reasonably priced.

Also, it doesn't hurt if @KingGrump and family happen to be around for the afternoon sessions. ;)

Are these dates set in stone? It would be awesome if you, your mom and weegie could be there when the rest of us might be there...I think we talked a little about it that spring week at squaw/alpine. Weegie def seemed into it.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are these dates set in stone? It would be awesome if you, your mom and weegie could be there when the rest of us might be there...I think we talked a little about it that spring week at squaw/alpine. Weegie def seemed into it.
I think the previous week didn't work, and we didn't really want to go earlier. (Last year was not remotely normal, but it did turn out to be a very good thing I went the week before the Gathering. I was skiing a lot of terrain that basically hadn't been open before that week.) I'll check, though. I was considering arriving Thursday, so there may be some overlap even if the weeks don't line up.

Oh, also, @Luqi and @gski were interested in Taos.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I want to ski Taos this season. Wanted to go last year but obviously the drought was severe in that area. I will decide to go once this winter gets going and one can get an idea of the prevalent winter weather pattern setting up. Last year's it was obviously VERY persistent from the get go.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hard to visualize winter when the thermometer in my car read 101 yesterday while I was at the plumbing supply.

Right now we planed to ski NE in Dec and probably 1st half of Jan. We haven't ski the NE in close to a decade. It will be fun.
The only other anchor in our schedule is the Big Sky gathering. The rest of it is still fluid. It'll gel a bit more as we get into Sept.

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
I agree with having the Taos mini-gathering in late January or early Feb in order to have some distance from The Gathering (which I plan to attend! It will be my first time). Sadly work calls...

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys got to stop using that four (04) letter word that starts with a "W."
This is a skier friendly site. :D

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know if we can commit to a ski-week, but we don't live far and would surely come during the week and join in the afternoon sessions at least.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PS: late season can be some of the best skiing at Taos. But like Joel Gratz always warns, anything more than 7 days out is a crap shoot.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Hmmm, I’ll have to keep an eye on this threadogsmile depending on the dates maybe I could get up there for a day or two. I work full time at Ski Santa Fe (shorter commute than Taos) but I love Taos, seems I hardly get up there anymore unless it’s for a clinic.

Last season, as with the rest of the Rockies was the worst since 06. In the decades I’ve been skiing Taos those are really the only really bad years I can remember. One advantage of living here as with any ski town is if it dumps I can just drive over there, but planning a trip is so iffy these days. In 15/16 we had a 3 foot dump before thanksgiving on top of what was already there, usually starting in Oct. it kept snowing. That year I think I skied more knee deep powder before New Years Day then ever before, ah the good old days of 15/16...

So those 2 seasons (15/16 & 17/18) were kind of the extremes of what we get here, most years it’s somewhere in the middle. Snows in Nov/Dec then kind of dry Jan then in Feb it starts to dump and continues to do so regularly well into April.

If you’re coming for the steeps, off piste stuff that Taos is famous for then you really need lots of snow ( if you hike those areas in the summer you will wonder how they are skiable with the huge boulders, fallen trees etc.) If you like it a little more mellow then the amount of snow is less important, it will be great skiing on the groomed (much of which is still challenging). Although from Christmas on the snow is fairly reliable, If I was planning a trip I’d shoot for mid Feb to mid March as the best chances for heavy snowstorms, but I’ve been wrong before:doh:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
@KingGrump @Pumba @mdf @Sandy_NYC

Last season we almost got a group together to have a meet-up in Taos and do some ski-weeks. The low snow year kind of killed that though.

So I thought we could give it a shot again this season... anyone and everyone would be welcome, and everyone would be responsible for themselves - just show up the right week. Personally, I'm going to spend a week there whether this works out or not, so it would be cool to meet up with some other folks.

If you haven't done a Ski Week before (technically, Taos calls is a "Snowsports Week" to be inclusive of snowboard lessons too), it's a good deal, and well worth it. You get six 2-hour small group lessons - one each morning Sunday through Friday - for a good price. Last year it was $220; This year's price is not published yet. Taos instructors and lesson programs are very well regarded, and I had a great time and learned a lot. (My trip report is here : https://www.pugski.com/threads/taos-ski-week-2-3-18-2-10-18.8665/)

From the Taos IKON thread :

I think this is a good idea, and late January/early February would be good. That means the likely weeks would be (all dates are Saturdays) :

January 12th - January 19th
January 19th - January 26th
January 26th - February 2nd
February 2nd - February 9th
February 9th - February 16th

Personally, that last week is getting too close to the Big Sky Gathering, and I'd like to avoid MLK week, which would be in the January 19th - 26th week. So my preference would be January 26th - February 2nd, or February 2nd - February 9th.

The other option, again avoiding the main Gathering, would be late March... not sure what the end of season is like out there. They usually close in early April.

Any other thoughts? Any NM locals or regulars who'd like to weigh in? Or folks from last year's "Taos!" thread? @pais alto , @Jerez , @clong83 , @Snowfan , @Crank , @Eddie S , @HDSkiing , @Tony S , @Monique , @ADKmel , @albertanskigirl , @Unpiste , @CalG ?

I'm honored to be on the list! For me, I'll patrol here in the East until I just have to get away.

Then it's Taos or Kirkwood. Darned kids make the decisions so difficult!

I'll wait and see which way the snow fly's.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OK - some good interest but I don't see any real consensus/strong feelings on dates other than not being too close to the Big Sky Gathering. So I'm gonna go ahead and throw something out there...

I think the week should be : January 26th - February 2nd

It avoids holidays, will leave three weeks between Taos and Big Sky, and is late enough that coverage should be OK. Sound good? Who's in?

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I discussed with my group. We should be able to do 2/3-2/8, but we're hesitant to go earlier than that due to weather concerns. From what I gather, late February seems to be the best place to aim from a distance, and early January can be iffy (or not, depending). I'd definitely rather plan the trip closer to the former than the later.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Problem is..

Just when winter get's good, Spring comes!

I've got no interest in the short days of mid winter. If I'm on a ski trip of 3000 miles Plus, It's gonna be late winter when the snow is deep and falls often, the days are long, and the sun is bright and warm.

Screw the schedules! Skiing is a sensation, not a book mark in a to do book!

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, this is a tough crowd. I was just dying in the heat the other day.
Right now I'm elbow deep in a boiler replacement. Hard to think about the winter itinerary.

Oh right, Mamie just reminded me that is not part of my job description. Will have to pass it over to her.

Sponsor

Staff online