• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Just in case anyone thinks this is a serious trip, keep in mind that @KingGrump threatens that I'm going to die regularly... and I'm still here! :D

Seriously, though... people of all abilities are welcome and will have a great time.

Also, calling @tball - despite some misgivings, you should come out and try the Taos bumps... they're terrible in many places, but you might like them. :)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at the calendar, I would say last week in January make sense for most.
With the Jackson gathering scheduled for the last week in February. Having the Taos gathering during the first week of Feb would leave a two week gap between the two. For those folks that still w**k (sorry for the profanity), they may not have a job to come back to after the Jackson gathering. The last week in January would leave a three week gap. Much more palatable for most.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I never do a “last run”, just “another run”. At some point it’s too late for another, and I draw the line at walking back up. So, I should be ok.
I believe it’s bad luck to say ‘last run.’ Working on patrol, if I had a nickel for every time I put someone in a toboggan near the end of the day that told me “We said this was going to be the last run” I could buy a six-pack...and not just cheap stuff.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm hoping my son @Matchstix can join us. He thinks the end of January is a lot more apt to be quiet at work than the time of the main Gathering. Last year he had to cancel Big Sky.

+1

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For easterners, January is a great month to go west, on average. Why? Because our natural snow season is, at best, barely off the ground in January. Best and most reliable skiing here by far is in late Feb - Mar. Meanwhile it's often very good in the Rockies in January with better weather. Whether it's the best month there is immaterial if you're coming from total WROD crap. Meanwhile I HATE when it's a bad year in New England and in February I'm still feeling like I'm just starting my season. January trip west helps with that. No guarantees, of course.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m watching this closely as well for the dates. I’ve been interested in doing a Taos ski week for a while now.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm going to wait a week or two for folks to comment, then make the call...
End of Jan. Post MLK.
Too much goings on in Feb.
Basically, the old ESA time frame. We used to overlap the X games at Buttermilk.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Missed this thread when I looked for it last week. I bought a Taos pass this year.

Likely changing bosses soon so best to get the PTO in and approved early....

@KingGrump Any sense in delaying in the name of snow coverage? I feel like I'm hearing the voice of Tony Crocker say might wish we had picked March

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@KingGrump Any sense in delaying in the name of snow coverage? I feel like I'm hearing the voice of Tony Crocker say might wish we had picked March

If this was the only thing going on, that might make sense. But avoiding the main Gathering at Jackson Hole means it would have to be late March, which might start to be too late. Plus, as @Tony S pointed out, we Easterner's need something in January to keep from going insane!

And here is TonyC's summary, by week, from bestsnow.net;
weeks.PNG

The median grade for the last week in January in Taos is "A". We will have to hope for average conditions!

Last edited: