• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@KingGrump Any sense in delaying in the name of snow coverage? I feel like I'm hearing the voice of Tony Crocker say might wish we had picked March

As @mdf mentioned, the Jackson gathering is the immovable object we have to work around. Also the NE gathering is in March. Another conflict.

Snow wise. Spring comes early to Taos. It is not unusual to hit spring like conditions during the second week of March. Spring snow often engender strong opinions among skiers.
Spring conditions at Taos can often be challenging. Very challenging.

On top of that the second and third week of March is Texas week. I am usually in the bumps and trees so have no issues with the Scud missiles on the hill. The other gathering attendees may not experience a pleasant time on the groom.

Taos usually closes the first Sunday in April. So April is out.

Back to January. I have skied Taos often in January. It’s always very pleasant. Some of it will depend on Mother Nature. Much is skier attitude dependent.

We plan, she laughs. Mother Nature loves messing with us. Last year (18/19) Taos had a decent snow season. It was open 100% by mid January. The year prior (17/18), nothing much was open the entire season. Worst snow season since 1956. The season before that (16/17), we had glorious snow conditions. The mountain was open 100% after the Jan 1st. We had successive powder days the entire 1st week of Jan. It’s all a crap shot.

Tony Crocker will proclaim “you can’t ski Taos without a 70” base.” He has been there twice. It’s easy to sprout BS from afar while sitting on a couch. Me, OTOH, lean more towards Warren Miller’s adage of “A six foot dump won’t cover a seven foot rock.” Me, "Ski the snow, not the rocks."

There are tons of terrain to ski even if it is not 100% open. I have fun whenever I am at Taos. Even during the really bad snow years like 17/18. My personal rule for skiing Taos is if I hit a rock that is covered by snow, I can curse at it all I want. If I hit a rock that is showing above the snow then I am skiing out of control.

Skiing in control. That is why many of the gathering attendees are at Taos. To do the ski week. To work on the technical aspect of their skiing. Many like to get that improved technical under their belt early so they can enjoy the rest of the season with improved confidence and an expanded skill set. In that case, earlier is better for them. I know many Taos regulars come for early December tune ups so they can enjoy the rest of the season with improved technical.

BTW, @dbostedo is the Gathermeister. He has the final say in all gathering matters. I am just here for giggles and general abuse.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a gathering that we'd love to attend but dates just never seem to work out for one reason or another. 'Outdoor retailer, Copper on Snow, Deer Valley Freestyle WC...all land in that time frame. :(

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As @mdf mentioned, the Jackson gathering is the immovable object we have to work around. Also the NE gathering is in March.
That's not necessarily true. We have dates set this year, but it doesn't have to be that week all the time.
The only reason we kept it that week is because we wanted people to be able to plan their "work release". ;)

Maybe @Drahtguy Kevin, @Philpug and I can come in March and take our chance on the scud missiles.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's not necessarily true. We have dates set this year, but it doesn't have to be that week all the time.
The only reason we kept it that week is because we wanted people to be able to plan their "work release". ;)

Maybe @Drahtguy Kevin, @Philpug and I can come in March and take our chance on the scud missiles.

I think a 3 week gap is best between gatherings when it comes to considerations regarding w**k.
Last season the Big Sky gathering was during the 1st week in March so the 1st week in Feb timing for the Taos gathering make sense.
We know gatherings are fun. We do want folks to have a job to return to afterward.

It's not really that bad during Texas week. The steeps, bumps and trees are never crowded.
On the groom, just have to move a bit faster than the crowd. Let the crowd be your screen.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a gathering that we'd love to attend but dates just never seem to work out for one reason or another. 'Outdoor retailer, Copper on Snow, Deer Valley Freestyle WC...all land in that time frame. :(
Yeah, we will be in full on work mode. This is the busiest time of the year for us. While we would love to attend, don't plan around us.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, we will be in full on work mode. This is the busiest time of the year for us. While we would love to attend, don't plan around us.
Mostly this ^^^^

While we want to attend everything, we just can't and that is why we love having people like @KingGrump and @dbostedo and @KevinF and (so many others) to lead on and gather pug skiers.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

We were there during scud missile season. We didn’t have any trouble finding space while skiing. The lift area was another story.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We were there during scud missile season. We didn’t have any trouble finding space while skiing. The lift area was another story.

I want nothing to do with that.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm game if you're game :D

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What is your agenda this year? Or is that information embargoed?

We'll be homeless again this coming season. It will be another Ikon road trip but with less stops. We'll stay longer at some locations. Everything is still up in the sir. Figure we'll go where there is good snow.
We have the Ikon pass right now. Will pick up the Taos senior pass so we can hang out there for a longer period of time.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
C'mon, it's fun. dodging scuds. .

Is not that. It's crowds. Just don't like them. Nothing to do with skiing. Don't argue. Just let me eat my thistles in peace.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But you're gonna do the fish sauce shots right?

Over my dead body.
Talking about self abuse.
Better yet, I'll kick you down St. B and put you out of your misery.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll kick you down St. B and put you out of your misery.

I did that to myself last year, remember? Fortunately no Pugs were watching. Especially me. Scary as heck.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I did that to myself last year, remember? Fortunately no Pugs were watching. Especially me. Scary as heck.

Fish sauce shots are much worse than that. And you think garlic smells bad.