• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
taos-020919-143-dc-acr-conv-jpg.65879

Kachina Peak at Taos Ski Valley

Last season we had what I'm hoping will be the first annual PugSki Taos Mini-Gathering.... ~25 PugSkiers and friends spent a week taking lessons, skiing bumps and steeps, enjoying food and drink, and generally having a great time.

So I wanted to get a thread going to figure out when this year's Gathering would be.

As always anyone and everyone would be welcome, and everyone would be responsible for themselves - just show up the right week. And most folks will likely do a Ski Week (week's worth of lessons). Personally, I'm going to spend a week there and do a ski week whether others are there or not, so it would be great to get another good turnout, like last year.

If you haven't done a Ski Week before (technically, Taos calls is a "Snowsports Week" to be inclusive of snowboard lessons too), it's a good deal, and well worth it. You get six 2-hour small group lessons - one each morning Sunday through Friday - for a good price. The price has been rising the last few years, and last year it was ~$300; This year's price is not published yet. (UPDATE: It's $327 this year with taxes and fees.)

Taos instructors and lesson programs are very well regarded, and I've always had a great time and learned a lot, though YMMV. Last year we learned that for about the same price, if we can get some groups of 5 together who would like to take a lesson together, you can book a private Snowsports Week. That would let you not get randomly assigned to a group and make sure you ski with the people you want to.

So first things first.... dates need to be determined. Generally, it would be good if there were at least a couple of weeks between this Gathering, and the main PugSki Jackson Hole Gathering (Feb. 22-29). I know a few folks would like to avoid late March because of the New England Gathering too. And finally avoiding holidays will mean easier accommodation and less crowded slopes.

EDIT, 8/5/19: Dates have been selected.... January 25th - January 31st

For reference, here is last year's planning thread, and my trip report from last year:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/taos-mini-gathering-2019.11408/
https://www.pugski.com/threads/taos-the-mini-gathering-2019.14160/

@mdf, @Dean, @Pumba, @Jimski, @Bruuuce, @Unpiste, @Weegie McAdams, @Flying Dutchess, @KingGrump, @Sandy_NYC, @cantunamunch, @android, @MegKan, @ToMMy, @Near Nyquist, @Olesya C, @aveski, @MattSmith, @Tony S, @Brock Tice, @ADKmel, @BillSavage

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First proposed dates overlaps outdoor retailer in Denver.
Thought we were gonna do first week in February at least from the previous thread

We have been talking about the last week on January (1/25 - 1/31). Like forever.
Did you bump you head on Drop Out again after we left Mammoth.

Why don't you make everyone else happy and go to the Outdoor Retail thing in Denver.

BTW, the ski week was $270 last year.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Either way, we are coming this year! Any and all dates work for us right now as we are wide open from January through the season. We are planning a trip to the Dolomites but have no set dates yet. I would prefer the January or February dates.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
We have been talking about the last week on January (1/25 - 1/31). Like forever.
Did you bump you head on Drop Out again after we left Mammoth.

Why don't you make everyone else happy and go to the Outdoor Retail thing in Denver.

BTW, the ski week was $270 last year.
I must be getting senile or something like that cause I seem to remember the discussion being first week of February.

maybe you got a nice link or something to refresh my feeble mind ...

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I must be getting senile or something like that cause I seem to remember the discussion being first week of February.

maybe you got a nice link or something to refresh my feeble mind ...

It saddens me to see senility setting in someone as young as you. :nono:

Dude, we were talking face to face at Mammoth. In real life. I know, one of those rare occurrences in these days of the internet.
There is no link to real life. No written record. No audit trail. Just memories in that feeble mind of yours (your words, not mine).

Remember Mamie & I were talking about getting a Taos senior pass and spend January there? Finish off the month with the gathering and move on to the rest of the road trip?
A Gibb slap at this point will probably brighten things a bit.

You can show up the first week of February if you want. All the food will be on the road to Aspen. :D

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a Ikon pass this year. I am hoping to use it at the Taos get together. The first week in Feb. works the best for me, or March works too. I am hoping Tony, MDF and other NE's will be joining me as well.

@ScottB

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I will be there. No real preference on dates, though my wife wants them set so she can figure out where she is going while I'm gone.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
It saddens me to see senility setting in someone as young as you. :nono:

Dude, we were talking face to face at Mammoth. In real life. I know, one of those rare occurrences in these days of the internet.
There is no link to real life. No written record. No audit trail. Just memories in that feeble mind of yours (your words, not mine).

Remember Mamie & I were talking about getting a Taos senior pass and spend January there? Finish off the month with the gathering and move on to the rest of the road trip?
A Gibb slap at this point will probably brighten things a bit.

You can show up the first week of February if you want. All the food will be on the road to Aspen. :D
I must be getting old I just don’t remember things.

Can you purée some of that food, prolly need to drink it through a straw at this point

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspire to suck at a higher level is always good.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I will be there. No real preference on dates, though my wife wants them set so she can figure out where she is going while I'm gone.

What is the point for her to go away. You are already gone. Isn't that the best part?
She really should be planning for the weeks you are home.

James

Out There
Instructor
You are losing your mind. Not your teeth.

Speaking of losing it. I believe @James expressed interest in going to Taos.
Yeah more than Jackson. Except tball thinks it's... dangerous?
Jackson is just at the wrong time.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah more than Jackson. Except tball thinks it's... dangerous?
Jackson is just at the wrong time.

No worries, mate. Taos is safe. Even a little old lady like Mamie has no issues there. Hanging out with @A Grump & I - you'll be fine.
We haven't lost anyone...yet. :D

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January