• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Taos Skiing this Season

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there an Unofficial Taos gathering happening this year, or maybe even a chosen week that a number of pug's coincidently picked to visit??

I was on my Ikon pass app and decided to reserve the last week of Feb at Taos just to see how it works. Seems pretty easy and straightforward. Dealing with the rest of the trip planning won't be for sure. I have skied Aspen a few times, so Taos is much more appealing to me in general. I think I have heard things are not going especially well there this year, but in 6 weeks that may change.

I have been skiing back east several times, and only once have I gotten to the mtn and decided it was not worth skiing that day. Wind hold and lots and lots of skiers. Not much snow early on this season either in NE. Otherwise, I feel pretty safe at a ski resort, I stay outside at all times, use the woods or porta potties, and eat, change, and hang at my car. With the Ikon pass, you just go to the lift and RFI your way onto the lift. I will only ride a lift at half capacity or alone, and avoid gondolas. So far, so good. I work at home so I am in semi-permanent quarantine.

Anyway, I am willing to consider one airplane travel ski trip this year, and was really looking forward to the Taos gathering, which probably is being skipped this year. A small one where we all get tests before coming would seem to be reasonably safe, and yes I know all the risks such as you can get it on the plane and not pick it up on a test for 3-7 days.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So if you want to ski for one week, book a room for three weeks is what I am understanding after reading that, correct?

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unfortunately, no one is enforcing the rules here but that doesn’t mean one should not at least try to comply. The holiday period was a zoo and I am pretty sure most out of state visitors did not quarantine. Grocery stores are supposed to be at 25% capacity but they are not really complying either. Parking lots at Smith’s and Albertsons are full and there are no lines to get in. I honestly would be worried about catching covid here instead of anyone bringing it in...
We are doing ok in terms of covid, but the holiday surge should be coming soon. End of Feb is still 6 weeks out so things can change.
The last storm missed us and there is nothing coming our way in the near future. Snow is good enough for now but I don’t see how we can last until Spring if we don’t get any more natural snow.
All the lifts are running at TSV and you can ride as a single. They still scan tickets manually so you will have contact. There are only 2 bathroom locations - at the base and at Chair 4. Restaurants are takeout only. No day lockers so you will need to boot up at your car and walk to the base since there are no shuttles either. Masks are required at all times on TSV property and their staff will tell you to coverup.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I believe the informal Taos mini gathering was for near the end of January, but has been cancelled.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
boot up at your car and walk to the base
that can be a long uphill walk. I've done it in past years when I had to get something from my car in the middle of the day -- long time between shuttles at off hours. If I have to walk that far uphill I want to wind up on the Highline Ridge.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just passed by the white tent and there is “guest basket check” but not sure if that is seasonal or daily rental.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately, no one is enforcing the rules here...
I had booked a place at Taos on the off chance that th quarantine rules would be relaxed, but wound up cancelling. When I cancelled, the condo owner did say that there wasn't really enforcement and I could come if I wanted to, that it was up to me. I didn't feel comfortable with that, but I have no doubt that many folks do.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
that can be a long uphill walk. I've done it in past years when I had to get something from my car in the middle of the day -- long time between shuttles at off hours. If I have to walk that far uphill I want to wind up on the Highline Ridge.
I'm very tempted to tease mdf about this. As iconic resorts go, parking at Taos is a doddle. I've spent two weeks there so far and never felt the need to take a shuttle.

However, I know that as soon as I do this I will hear that this is the reason I am in the (coffee) bar at 3:15 while Mike is boarding the 3:59:59 chair.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Unfortunately, no one is enforcing the rules here but that doesn’t mean one should not at least try to comply. The holiday period was a zoo and I am pretty sure most out of state visitors did not quarantine. Grocery stores are supposed to be at 25% capacity but they are not really complying either. Parking lots at Smith’s and Albertsons are full and there are no lines to get in. I honestly would be worried about catching covid here instead of anyone bringing it in...
We are doing ok in terms of covid, but the holiday surge should be coming soon. End of Feb is still 6 weeks out so things can change.
The last storm missed us and there is nothing coming our way in the near future. Snow is good enough for now but I don’t see how we can last until Spring if we don’t get any more natural snow.
All the lifts are running at TSV and you can ride as a single. They still scan tickets manually so you will have contact. There are only 2 bathroom locations - at the base and at Chair 4. Restaurants are takeout only. No day lockers so you will need to boot up at your car and walk to the base since there are no shuttles either. Masks are required at all times on TSV property and their staff will tell you to coverup.

Lack of respect from out-of-towners sucks. Based on what I saw at Wolf Creek, restrooms were the bottleneck. There was only one open. One day was particularly bitter, and people were stacked up in here trying to warm up.

I purchased a Stio Shot 7 jacket, which is just a heater, and matching insulated pants. I also pee in the woods.

Sponsor

Staff online