• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously, did anyone who skis ever not like Taos? I've not skied there much, but the sun was always shining, the snow was always terrific, and the area employees always impressive. BTW, I was first there soon enough to meet Ernie Blake, both Mayers, Pete Totemoff, and a bunch of other area pioneers. It's a place you really oughta ski.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Definitely one of the best mountains in the US for so many different reasons; terrain, snow quality, weather, food, music, culture, etc.

Snow can be hit or miss, but that seems to be the case everywhere these days. When it is good at Taos, it is as good as it gets. When it is bad at Taos, it is still better than a lot of other places you might find yourself.

For food in the Ski Valley, be sure to have lunch at either the Bavarian or St. Bernard. Tim's Stray Dog Cantina is a great lunch option as well.

For food in town, Orlando's, Guadalajara, Aceq, and Sabroso are all killer options.

For entertainment, check out KTAOS Solar Center (radio station, bar, restaurant, and venue) and the Taos Mesa Brewery.

For skiing, be sure to spend some time exploring the Lower Frontside below chair 1. There is a ton of great terrain in that area that can often be overlooked on a powder day. Jean's Glade is one of my favorites. Be sure to hike West Basin and Highline Ridge. Definitely some of the steepest terrain on the mountain. Take advantage of the Kachina chair. You could honestly spend a full day lapping that chair. Take hot laps on Chair 2 in the afternoon and be sure to take advantage of the ample sunshine on the skier's right side of Castor.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Just returned from Taos. Here's a few notes on restaurants:

El Meze -- The carne adovado app is to die for! Fantastic. The salads are pretty good. Mains are ok, and disappointing given what came before. Still, one of the best choices in Taos.
Love Apple -- This place is pretty good. Best choice of the time we spent there. Not fantastic but pretty darn good.
Aceq -- This is in Arroyo Seco between Taos Ski Valley and Taos. Quite good with an emphasis on more informal food.

Mike

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Anybody have a rough idea of what the ski week lesson program costs?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It was $185 for 6 days of 2 hours per day last season. They haven't post the rate for the coming season yet. Figure it to run around $200.

There is also a request ski week that is a bit more.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Heading there next week:thumb:
The breakfast at the Taos Diner is not Cafe Pasqual's, but it does not suck.:)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Thanks KG! That sounds like a damn good deal given what I learned from the 4-day program I did back in (i think) '96

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of the regulars at Taos will often do 4 to 6 ski weeks a year. Just because it is really fun. I still do a couple of ski weeks per year.

Funny thing is I often free ski with the same ski week instructors and regulars in the afternoon. Maybe its the fresh meat the ski week brings in. :cool::D

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup.

Not I, but yup.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking at booking my second trip to Taos, Week of Feb.3! Will do another Ski Week and hopefully be deemed good enough to ski some of the steeps and maybe even Al's run.

Would love to meet some of you locals if you happen to be around. I met many thoughtful locals last year.

k

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Looking at booking my second trip to Taos, Week of Feb.3! Will do another Ski Week and hopefully be deemed good enough to ski some of the steeps and maybe even Al's run.

Would love to meet some of you locals if you happen to be around. I met many thoughtful locals last year.

k

You won't have any trouble with Al's after a 2nd Ski Week.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I think so. Fire up the STOKE!!!!

I got my vacation time approved yesterday, and I'll be in Taos Feb. 3rd-10th. Booking airfare this weekend! :yahoo:

:thumb: :thumb:

Couple others from Pugski will be there on the same week.
Looking forward to making some turns with you.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I would definitely like to plan my Taos trip around your schedule @KingGrump.
Probably just a weekend trip.
If your doing a Groundhog Day Ski Week(end), sign me up!

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Come on down. The more the merrier.

Sponsor

Staff online