• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Technology Thread

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We have had a few posts about "What Phone Should I Buy" and a few about "Laptops" so I thought we needed a Technology Thread. I will start.

I am looking for an Android app that is a Barcode Reader and is easy to use. Does anyone in the community have any suggestions?

Thanks

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
I was in a restaurant Friday night, first time in for ever, and no menus. QR code on the table, scan it.
They started in restaurants so that Covid was not spread by people using the same menu as other customers.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was in a restaurant Friday night, first time in for ever, and no menus. QR code on the table, scan it.

They started in restaurants so that Covid was not spread by people using the same menu as other customers.

Yep. We started seeing that as soon as restaurants started re-opening after shutdown. So many advantages including less waste, especially for restaurants that change their menu frequently, the ability to fix errors neatly, and avoiding everyone touching the same thing. I'm surprised it's taken that long to get to your area Jilly.

Powder High

Getting off the lift
Skier
Now that COVID is on the run, they should bring their menus out of isolation. I don't know about other people, but reading a paper menu is part of the restaurant experience.

If I walked into a restaurant and the waitress didn't bring menus, I'd ask her for one. If she said we don't have them anymore, I'd consider walking out - and letting the manager know why.

Also, what if you forgot your phone at home?

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
Now that COVID is on the run, they should bring their menus out of isolation. I don't know about other people, but reading a paper menu is part of the restaurant experience.

If I walked into a restaurant and the waitress didn't bring menus, I'd ask her for one. If she said we don't have them anymore, I'd consider walking out - and letting the manager know why.

Also, what if you forgot your phone at home?
I agree that the menu is part of the experience, I would not be as upset about not having it. My issue with the QR codes is they collect information from yours phone that may not have anything to do with the restaurant.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m fine with no hard menu as long as there is sufficient service or free wifi available.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm with @Powder High. Reading through a hard copy menu gives you context; looking at small slice of the menu on your phone just doesn't cut it for the experience.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tech...ugh. I'm trying to figure out how to get my iTunes library off/copied from my 2008 vintage iMac on to my Samsung Galaxy 21+ phone. Yes, I can join a streaming service and download but I've already paid for the 300+ albums that are on the computer! Also trying to figure out how to make my phone work better with my helmet chips. I don't use Bixby at all and I think I have to hook that up somehow.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tech...ugh. I'm trying to figure out how to get my iTunes library off/copied from my 2008 vintage iMac on to my Samsung Galaxy 21+ phone. Yes, I can join a streaming service and download but I've already paid for the 300+ albums that are on the computer! Also trying to figure out how to make my phone work better with my helmet chips. I don't use Bixby at all and I think I have to hook that up somehow.
You can upload the songs to a free utube music account. Google used to have a good app called google play music, but they made everyone switch to the less good utube music. But at least it will be done.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Aaaand it's back to the Old Folks and Paper Replacement, as follows:

I am a conserver and persistent recycler. I am glad they don't give trail maps out by the thousands any more. But dammit, I want to see one! Even on my laptop they are hard to read, but the phone?

And why should I need to haul out my phone when I've come to the mountains, at least in part to get away from all that?

I asked in three locations for a trail map at Stowe. It was my first time there. Even the instructor (who, to be fair, was from Gore for this PSIA event) didn't know her way around the mountain. The big signs are great when (1) there is one and (2) you can get close enough without falling off the little ledge.

Grumble!

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
You should be able to use your charging cable to go from your phone to a USB on your computer. If you use Windows file manager you should be to copy all the music to a temporary file and then using the cable for the new phone copy all the music from the temporary file to the new phone. If your computer is an Apple your should be able to do the same thing but I am not an Apple person so maybe one of our other members can tell you how to do it.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
As I recall, iTunes mangles the file names. You need the app to decipher the names. However the files work regardless. It's been a while...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree that the menu is part of the experience, I would not be as upset about not having it. My issue with the QR codes is they collect information from yours phone that may not have anything to do with the restaurant.
If you are worried about this, then I would recommend getting rid of the phone. You could change settings on your browser too, but the minute you turn on a cell phone, there is data going somewhere to someone.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
If you are worried about this, then I would recommend getting rid of the phone. You could change settings on your browser too, but the minute you turn on a cell phone, there is data going somewhere to someone.
Most likely it is your phone carrier that is seeing it and not much else. Unless you are surfing with your phone then what ever you surf for shows up in the advertisement. Don't we have a thread about a certain type of advertisement that comes up when viewing SkiTalk?

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

Skier
I copied a music CD to my laptop hard drive and I can play the music from the CD but I can not play the music from the file on the hard drive. Not sure why but the file format is a CDA, I have no difficulty playing mp3 or MP4 files from my hard drive.
Does anyone know if a CDA file can be converted to a MP3 file?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I copied a music CD to my laptop hard drive and I can play the music from the CD but I can not play the music from the file on the hard drive. Not sure why but the file format is a CDA, I have no difficulty playing mp3 or MP4 files from my hard drive.
Does anyone know if a CDA file can be converted to a MP3 file?
Sounds like you did not actually copy the music to your laptop, or maybe you did but the files are not in the same directory as the CDA file.

Sponsor

Staff online