• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
RELEASE
WEST LEBANON, N.H. - Dec. 9, 2019 - Tecnica Group North America, parent company of Blizzard, Nordica, and Tecnica, today announced Nordica USA will be the exclusive supplier of alpine racing products for the Group in the U.S. market.​

This strategic decision allows Nordica to build upon its strong racing heritage, as exemplified by current Super-G World Champion Dominik Paris, and to focus on the successful Dobermann collection of skis and boots that have been putting athletes on podiums around the world since 1999.

Blizzard and Tecnica will continue their focus on the all-mountain and freeride categories while increasing their efforts in growing the U.S. backcountry touring market. And, while they are exiting Race in the U.S., they will remain committed to the high-performance front-side category with the Firebird collection.

"By building on the strengths of each of our brands and efficiently allocating our resources, we will be able to reinforce their unique product offerings with amplified communication and support to our consumers and specialty retailers," explains Chris Licata, CEO Tecnica Group USA. "All three of our Alpine brands offer industry-leading products. Now they can work in parallel to support each other with points of differentiation that strengthen their individual brand character."

"This is an exciting chapter for Nordica," said Scott Russo, Nordica USA's vice president. "Ski racing has always been a very important part of the brand, predominantly in Europe of late, and we look forward to increasing our support and presence here with the U.S. racing community."

National Race Manager, Pearson Neal, will manage the Nordica Race Program, effective immediately. For the remainder of the current season, Neal will remain the contact for Blizzard & Tecnica race athletes and retailers.

For more information about Nordica and its products go to Nordica.com. R
94563071-c48b-42c2-aed3-5a489fb97164.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting.
Booh. I like the Blizzard orange...:ogcool:
Johnny Cash was no skier.
What would be cool is if they brought back something like the Benetton Nordica colors.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Been rumored for a while. Not surprising, IMO. It's been confusing and redundant, in some respects. For kids and juniors, the race skis have been identical. Adults, pretty much. Real WC race stock, not so much, at all.

Black boots, Nordica. Orange boots, Tecnica. Will those orange boots be sold in the USA? I assume so.

Will be interesting to see how they go about distribution. Perhaps the Nordica race product will only be sold through race reps, with little retail exposure. Dunno.

Good products, with both brands. Good problem to have.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Black boots, Nordica. Orange boots, Tecnica.
I was in the orange Tecnica Inferno 110 for a long time, until Tecnica group started to insist they send me the new women's boot which was the Mach1 LV 105, which I liked for many aspects, but because of some alignment issues for me we couldn't do all the work we needed in a boot with a hollow lug.
The image here is me in my Tecnica Inferno 110 which I skied in until it was absolutely dead (close to 400 days)
I loved how the orange boot stood out in pics.

From this shot
10911286_10155402056265018_1825908492547648769_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This strategic decision allows Nordica to build upon its strong racing heritage,
I find this funny. Doesn't Blizzard have a longer race heritage than Nordica? Zurbriggen, Klammer? Nordica didn't even start making skis until the mid 1990's.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
so I read the PR but what is the purpose/cause in reality for this move?

Last edited:

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I find this funny. Doesn't Blizzard have a longer race heritage than Nordica? Zurbriggen, Klammer? Nordica didn't even start making skis until the mid 1990's.
Depends on whether or not you consider the Kästle connection to be part of Nordica's race heritage. Didn't they acquire Kästle in some form? (The Nordica site just says that they started making skis in 2000, "rising from the ashes of Kastle")

Muleski

Inactive
I have not had a recent, like last few weeks, conversation with anybody on this topic. BUT, the question of redundant brand lineups, a lot of overlap in skis, some absolute "twin" products, and the ever present question of the best way to more effectively distribute product, with the best results and margins is clearly part of the Tecnica Group in the USA. And particularly with respect to "race product".

When a ski company decides to bring race skis to the American market, they have a number of decisions to make. Many are driven by what the skis and boots are, and what market they serve. Are we selling junior race skis and boots? How young/small? Or, are we primarily focused on say U14 and older kids? Or even older. Are we going to bring skis in that will be used by anybody on the USST? Are we joining the USST Pool and paying the fees. Do we have any USST skiers under contract, or will we? Do we plan to get tight with the top ski academies and race programs, and do we plan to "comp", to give, skis and boots to the best? How many, how visible, how fast?

Or, do we want to sell "race skis", largely through a retail channel, through ski shops. Even virtual ski shops, all online. Or Hybrids. depending on your plans and strategy, your distribution and sales team can look very different. OK, we're only going to deal directly with the top 20 ski programs, and NCAA colleges, in the country. We're going to have a US Race Director who manages all of those relationships, and works closely with those programs to get the coaches to buy-in to the quality of product and recommend to the athletes. This is not give my retail reps a couple of more skis or boots to talk up.

Maybe that Race Director also works with a dozen or so top end shops that they then establish as "Race Centers", shops that have a serious race feel and reputation. Some are more prevalent in their parts of the country than others. In that case your "race rep" also deals with the few retailers. In some parts of the country, the retail shops are THE source of race gear. very knowledgable staff, great service, huge value. And maybe your good guy retail rep is the defect race guy.

Then, you could have a group of reps, either your own employees, OR an independent rep network, or if you really want to confuse it, BOTH. Heck, you could have independent reps who sell competing products, IF they have convinced you that they "own" all of the relationships on their geographic territory. Or, you could hire some guy as an area rep....which I have my own views on.

So it gets real confusing. Even in the planning stages.

Then you have boots versus skis. The Nordica Dobermann is the absolute franchise of real race boots. Virtually every boot raced on the WC has the Dobie in it's DNA. Back in the 1980's the Nordica Grand Prix {not the one that was sold to the public years later} was a super hot boot on the WC. Obviously there are other boots, and a company like Lange has a huge share. Different boots also work for different ages, genders, sizes and feet. However, if you were a guy and HAD to buy your race boots, or could pick themyou might well end up in a Dobie. Tecnica, to be honest, really had very little race presence. Yeah Bode skied in them, until he tried a Dobie as they were rolling them out in 1998.

So you temper the attractiveness and demand of your boots versus your skis. Nordica is building some GREAT race skis, at the upper level. The new WC stock GS skis {like REALLY USED at the level} are apparently tremendous. Fast. Last years, not so much. Great SL skis. Now, as you move down the age ranks, do you see a LOT of top young domestic FIS skiers and U16's, U14's on the skis? I would say, some. Could, maybe should be more.

Blizzard has had a hard time getting a lot of traction with their race products in this country. Some good traction, but not great, and the Tecnica group has been competing with themselves. To people in the business, at a high level, people who are CMO's in other businesses, consultants, it looked odd. OK. why on earth are you both fighting for share, and competing with OURSELVES, with a completely redundant group pf people dedicated to the race niche. Are we gaining anything?

You go to a big rep weekend, say the biggest ones, like Ski Club Vail, or Aspen, and you see a Blizzard van, a Nordica van, and tents, tables, product displayed, boot clogs to try on, and swag from BOTH. Reps for both. Why? "Well that's how we do it!" OK. Are you on the same team or competing?

There is so much "Well, we always have done it this way, " and so much inertia based on how it has always been done in this business that it spins your head. It can also get people very upset, and torqued off as they insist that they and their friends really do make a difference. Ohhh.... "my rep."

Tecnica may be getting smart with this. If we can't sell as much Blizzard race product as we want, and we thing it's cannibalizing our Nordica sales, and preventing us fromm being one of the biggest, let's take the race skis out of this USA market. Gone. Let's still sell the orange version of the Dobermann line of boots{the Firebird GP} in retail shops. A bunch of expert skiers will want that performance, and they look pretty cool. Let's cut down the team to sell and service it.

Meanwhile we put all of the race energy into the Nordica lineup, and grow it. Get some economies of scale, eliminate the redundancy. Figure where to sell it, comp it, and be visible. And maybe even give up some geography where it's been like pulling teeth to get some traction. Nordica has a lot more visibility, with a guy like Paris on the WC.

That's my strong hunch.

As far as history, yeah, I know the Press Release goes there. You can research the race history of almost ANY company and it, along with ownership, has bounced all over the map over the years. Few of these companies are what they once were, many have morphed a great deal. Head?

Nordica really caught fire with the Dobermann boot in 1999. To the point where a lot are skied on the WC, in a variety of colors, with a variety of buckles and cosmetics, today. And once they started building their best race skis in Italy, and later in Mittersill in the Blizzard factory race room, they became a lot better. Abut 10 years ago we had a few top American racers in a Technica boot. It was actually a boot molded in the Nordica factory using a goldfish and black color combo. 100% Dobermann. Timmy Kelley was in the boot.

Does history and legacy mean a thing to anybody but some of us on PS? When it comes to race skis? I don't think so. Take Augment. That is a GREAT ski. With zero legacy before a handful of Blizz and Nordica guys started CROC. When Head re-emerged, they had a very short race history in the mis 60's.

Seems like a non issue. Nordica tries to sell Aamodt as their history on skis. Fact is that he pretty much won every one of his WC and Olympic victories on Dynastar skis, and at the end of his racing days, signed with Nordica. He was in a Nordica boot for his entire career.

Don't think eliminating Blizz race skis will have much effect. Below the top levels.....like skis built of the best, they're almost identical. Certainly the junior skis.

We'll see......

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This happens a lot with ski companies, conglomerates and those that are combining assets as well as building each others equipment. We will continue to see things like this happen over the next couple of years. Not just with racing either. An example of this happening right now is what Amer is doing with Armada, going back to the roots of what the company stood for (building whats next in skis) Atomic is slowly becoming the "Race" brand for Amer and less of the punk style they had going on with their freestyle team. Salomon is looking ever more like the lifestyle and freeride brand of Amer and loosing a lot of their race appeal.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This happens a lot with ski companies, conglomerates and those that are combining assets as well as building each others equipment. We will continue to see things like this happen over the next couple of years. Not just with racing either. An example of this happening right now is what Amer is doing with Armada, going back to the roots of what the company stood for (building whats next in skis) Atomic is slowly becoming the "Race" brand for Amer and less of the punk style they had going on with their freestyle team. Salomon is looking ever more like the lifestyle and freeride brand of Amer and loosing a lot of their race appeal.
...in the states. Salomon is very strong in race in Europe.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
...in the states. Salomon is very strong in race in Europe.

Most definitely, a lot of what I am saying is how this affects the American market. I do not have enough experience with the European ski scene or race scene to make any sort of call there.
Fischer for large example is huge in Europe and has a lot of presence, I don't even have to add in Cross Country skis and the result will still be the same. In America however (especially in the west) Fischer has struggled to gain a lot of traction, even though in my opinion they make some of the best skis.

*Side note: Salomon is massive in Eastern Canada!

Muleski

Inactive
Fischer has NOT struggled to get some of the very best on their skis {and in their boots.} I mean the best young FIS skiers. Our top ranked in the world. But selling an army of little kid race skis, No. Selling them in ski shops to wannabe racers and 160 point skiers, no.

Does Fischer pay USST pool fees? Yep. And they have Nyman, Bennett, Sam Morse. and others on the product.

So, again it depends on what one means by a race footprint, what they think about distribution. How they go about it. They make great products, and their non race skis, like the Curv line, are very good.

To me, this is a bit reflective of the distribution. For example, if you kid is in one of the biggest junior programs in the country, and the club deals with race reps {NOT retail reps and retail shops} and they put on a rep day, or weekend in the early fall, your kid WILL be on the product of one of the companies there. It's that simple. If some other company thinks that I that environment, race skis will come off the wall of a local shop, they are nuts.

So.....Blizz and Nordica are dividing it, and the race game will be played as it should be. I think some of their current reps who sell race skis, and are retail reps for shops in a given territory will be asked to make the move to ALL race, or all retail and non race products. Just guessing.

Tecnica has been spending far too much money on this in recent years, and it has been too confusing.

As far as Firebird skis being sold in the US......my hunch is if they have any hint of being a race ski, and signage like race, SL, GS, they will NOT be available in the USA next season. If you look at the website, and go under men, you see a Racing icon. Hit that, and all of the skis appear. My guess is that anything that is alleged race, is gone and the Nordica counterparts fill in. Firebird boots? Dunno. You probably can't exit "race" and have boots that are branded as a Firebird WC. I think that would be a mistake. Just my guess and taste.

ALL of this is my guess, right now.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
so...............who wants to organize the Pugski technical skiers' group buy on the deadstock?!!?!

Secondly, I sincerely hope that Tecnica Group North America does right by the shop retailers & Race Service folks. December is a horrid time for this announcement if you have skis/boots on the rack to sell or think you have a race schedule to service for the season.

Muleski

Inactive
I'm guessing that Tecnica Group will handle it well. This lets employees, if their jobs do get eliminated, the heads-up so that they can get Ito the market in January, when most race-related jobs for the following season start to open up.

As far as the retailers, I guess it would be interesting to see how much leftover Blizzard race product they have on the wall, or in the backroom. I'm guessing that if Tecnica really wants to go even more "hammer down" with all of their non race Blizzard stuff, they will be accommodating and helpful.

Next season starts sooner than most realize.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know when Rossignol Group wanted to work on the Look brand, they stopped offering Rossignol bindings, specifically the FKS, the Rossi reps were upset. In that case they averaged the Rossi and Look sales between the reps. I know in race country like NorCal, Blizzard still sold enough skis to make it worth the reps while...I wonder what will happen now.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January