• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
My avatar is Hank Scorpio from the Simpsons. Hank is voiced by Mel Brooks and is a chill, laid back, socially progressive evil genius who hires and befriends Homer. I used Hank in a fantasy football league years and ago. Not sure why he's still my avatar, only reason I can think of is because I don't post much, people remember it.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Not many pictures of me skiing around. IIR I used three different avatars...
First one was me skiing a couloir in the Dolomites' Sella Massif thirtysome years ago
Second one me performing "ski-lift duties" in a storm for my son (then 3 yrs old) going to the lodge (I use the american term to relate, but there is no "lodge" at resorts in Italy) to eat some.
Then the actual one, me skiing off-piste in 2017 or around that time.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
La Chavanette / La Mur suisse is the steepest marked run in France or Switzerland, designated orange on the trail map at Portes du Soleil. It is 1km long, with a vertical pitch of 400 metres. The top of the run has an incline of 76%, so steep that you can’t see the face of the slope while standing at the top.

It straddles the border between France and Switzerland. I skied this in March 2019, when visibility was poor. I took a couple selfies on the piste near the top and at the bottom, but none can quite convey the challenge of a steep mogul field with a slightly less demanding pitch off to the side that you can traverse to if you are not up for the VW-sized moguls.

Last edited:

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Well, mine is pretty obvous, isn't it?

I took the picture on a week.where I was running a comparison between my old Tecnica xt17 and the then recently acquired (end of previous season sale) Scorpion 130.

Nice and performong as the Scorpion appeared at first, I couldn't bring myself to cut the umbilical cord with the xt17. In a last ditch effort, I attempted this week long "direct" comparison, one day green on the left foot and orange on the right, the next day viceversa. Believe.it or not, it ended with me putting the Scorpions back.in their box and continue to use the xt17...

I tried to sell those,no luck.

Last year I attended an L1 clinic and used only the xt17, left the Scorpions home...

During.the clinic it became obvious that the xt were too outdated and the plastic too old...Once home, out of the box came the Scorpions...at last, you'd say, right?

On the very first day of use, after about 3 hours of.continous skiing I started to feel pain and numbness in my right lower leg,
Continued for another hour or so, at which point was lunch time anyway...so off we went to eat.

Once inside, I realized I had difficulties to walk and put down the right heel.

My pard suggested to take the foot off the boot, once out, his face transformed in horror and "you have broken your tib!"'cried.

The lower leg, external side, right above the ankle, was so swollen and I felt such pain that we really thought I had broken a bone...
Cooler minds prevailed and we decided.it couldn't be. Waited till I slowly could put back my foot in the boot, limped to the cable car and go to the car. Tooknoff.boots, donned shoes and...proceed to drive home...my car, my turn to drive. I don't know how I managed the 20 km.drive of.mountains road till home, foot was numb and couldn't exert all the finesse requested to dose the accelerator and the brakes with the left foot (luckily nowadays I drive a car with automatc gearbox, no clutch.
Anyway, after this I very sadly gave up trying to use the Scorpions and resumed the xts ,until Jan '17 when I found a brand new pair of Tecnica 9.8r at a shop sale...been happily skiing ever since in those.
A case of bad sizing? Feet not agreeing with Dalbello shape? Tightened too much the buckles? Tightened not enough the buckles? Who knows, I was so pumped at the idea of skiing the Scorpions...but this is for another post/thread...
You know the funny thing?
Since I took that pic, whenever I happen to be on the mountain during the Carnival period...I ski with all my equipment mismatched..different L&R skis (width and lenght), different L&R Boots, different L&R poles, different L&R gloves...fluo pants and jacket (from the '90s)...
Don't know if I'll be at it this winter , since I have now changed boots and downsized a notch or two...but if I'll be there, I'll do it again...
Why? Just for fun, after all, it's Carnival

P.S. there's a ski instructor on the mountain that skis with mismatched boots all the time, every day of winter. Used a three buckles Nordica boots (green, don't remember the name model) and a 4 buckles orange one (Tecnica Mach 1 IIRC). I did not check wether the same boot always on the same foot but I'll pay more attention this winter, plus..I'll cough up the cheek to ask the reason for it...
Not many pictures of me skiing around. IIRC I used three different avatars...
First one was me skiing a couloir in the Dolomites' Sella Massif thirtysome years ago
Second one me performing "ski-lift duties" in a storm for my son (then 3 yrs old) going to the lodge (I use the american term to relate, but there is no "lodge" at resorts in Italy) to eat some.
Then the actual one, me skiing off-piste in 2017 or around that time.

And yet it looks I used at least a fourth one! A picture of mismatched boots while actually using a lift (but skied the whole day that way) Went in my profile looking for it and is not there anymore (and the other in the Dolomites I cited as well), oh well, amen.

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
Screenshot_20210506-002133.png

Mine is a zoomed in screenshot of picture of me skiing some fresh chopped up powder this season on Dromedary at Marmot Basin in Jasper, Alberta.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mine is the front cover of the Colby alpine skiing media guide. I think the image is from NCAA Eastern Champs at Middlebury Snow Bowl my sr year. You'll note, no helmet for GS back then, just a backwards baseball hat for aerodynamics.
Colby Alpine Skiing.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Mine is the front cover of the Colby alpine skiing media guide. I think the image is from NCAA Eastern Champs at Middlebury Snow Bowl my sr year. You'll note, no helmet for GS back then, just a backwards baseball hat for aerodynamics.
View attachment 133162

You & the great Ingemar Stenmark 20 years earlier...
BAC8CF8D-FBF1-47DB-A9C1-B0C01CF46DD5.jpeg

Nice evolution from bamboo to Plastic

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 133162
It’s amazing photos from the early/mid 90’s (when I was also in college)......look so damn old. Where did the time go?

Sponsor

Staff online