• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
A bit of a thread drift here: how do you guys call these snow conditions?

I called it chopped up powder because it was 18 cm of fresh snow from the night before that was light and powdery but had already been skied a bit by the time I got to it; this photo was taken maybe an hour after the lifts opened.

I'm by no means an expert on these things, but of the terms I've heard for this kind of snow, I thought that described it best. I'm definitely open to other terms for it. Maybe crud?

All I know for certain is that it was a lot of fun to ski. Haha!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm by no means an expert on these things, but of the terms I've heard for this kind of snow, I thought that described it best. I'm definitely open to other terms for it. Maybe crud?

Thanks. I asked this because sometimes it is difficult to convey a proper idea about the snow when discussing this ski or that. This looks like fun on fat skis.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s amazing photos from the early/mid 90’s (when I was also in college)......look so damn old. Where did the time go?
Part of the effect is the filter in the pic...at least that is my story! :l

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Guy.jpg
A ski pal snapped this a few years ago. It wasn't till after looking at the shot we saw the SLOW sign in the background. My bad...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Perhaps there was an incredible burst of wind moving uphill that blew all that snow up and around him.

You don't need wind when you've got sproingy slalom tips. Esp. with holes in 'em.

*nods sagely*
*knocks Occam's razor against sink to shake split hairs out*

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
A bit of a thread drift here: how do you guys call these snow conditions?
Chopped powder = Chowder
2430F3EA-F25A-4C46-B3E2-EF2A3219C98A.jpeg

I’ve found that too wide a ski gets deflected easily in these conditions. Too much rocker/rise & the skis flap around wildly. For me the best ski for this condition is a damp mid 90-100mm width like a Blizzard Bonifide.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
A ski pal snapped this a few years ago. It wasn't till after looking at the shot we saw the SLOW sign in the background. My bad...
Slow is a relative term...now if it said "15 mph " or "20kph" then we can have a data driven discussion on right or wrong.

"I was going slow...you should have seen me up the hill a ways!!" :D

Sponsor

Staff online