• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is a bit of a thread hijack, but I think it's mildly interesting since I've never thought much about it before.

I usually like hitting up the big places out West and when I think of all of the places I have been to recently...some have a base lodge, and others have something a bit different.

Sun Valley...YES
Snowbasin...YES
Jackson Hole...NO
Telluride...NO
Whistler/Blackcomb...NO
Alta...NO
Snowbird...NO
Taos...YES
Beaver Creek...NO
Vail...NO
Snowmass...NO
Aspen Mountain...NO
Aspen Highlands...YES
Solitude...YES
Brighton...NO
Deer Valley...YES (even though the base really isn't the "base", there are lodges everywhere)

However, almost all of these places have something that would resemble a "lodge," they just aren't necessarily at the base of the mountain.
Interesting post.
Fwiw I don't really consider the term "base" to have to mean bottom but simply just more in terms of a "home base". Whether mid mountain or wherever. Though it does usually exist at or near the bottoms.

I do find it somewhat strange though. I mean during perhaps poor weather or whatever a number of reasons that I have given in this thread. There should imo be a dedicated main lodge at most every resort. That said, telluride does say (I did find) that gorronno ranch does serve as a main (for lack of a better term) ski lodge. And with the other info offered up here we shouldn't have any real issue.

Only trouble is that Gorrono is not truly accessible for beginners. Fine for us even with the wife but may be not so much for everyone in general.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Only trouble is that Gorrono is not truly accessible for beginners. Fine for us even with the wife but may be not so much for everyone in general.

It is accessible by beginners via Village Bypass. Trust me...I was hanging out at Gorrono Ranch on my second day ever on skis.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Given your description of your wife's interest in skiing, you definitely should stay in town! Telluride town has lots of fun things to do and if she gets sick of skiing the groomers, she can take the gondola back to town and change and go explore.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Alta...NO
Snowbird...NO

I agree with most of your characterizations... but Albion Lodge and Snowbird Center both seem to check all the boxes for "main lodge," and they're at the bottom of the mountain (even though there are lower-elevation sections of the resorts--but that's true of others you marked "yes").

Interesting post.

It is accessible by beginners via Village Bypass. Trust me...I was hanging out at Gorrono Ranch on my second day ever on skis.

Agreed, I also hit Gorrono on my second day on skis. Novices are fine getting in and out of there.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Given your description of your wife's interest in skiing, you definitely should stay in town! Telluride town has lots of fun things to do and if she gets sick of skiing the groomers, she can take the gondola back to town and change and go explore.
appreciate the post,
Honestly though, what "fun" things to do? I mean respectfully asked.
Sure I get exploring the town, checking out different places to eat, browsing store fronts and maybe a little shopping, possibly passing by some older structures, etc. But it seems really just mostly filled with rental homes, rental condos, and townhomes besides local residences.

She (nor we) are really the "party" types and this also isn't summer. We may actually find pedestrian village up top a bit more practical or just as welcoming and exportable. Not at all putting the town down and honestly I just have no idea. Myself I can appreciate an old town in some senses. But with the gondola its all fairly easily accessible anyway.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Suit yourself Goose. I would feel isolated in the suburban/resort feeling mountain village as opposed to town, but you know your family and what works.

Activities besides shopping and exploring that I recall: they have an opera house and theater that will have performances that time of year. I saw a slacklining contest in the local park by accident. There's the usual dogsledding, ice skating, snowshoeing excursions. I've been told they have a very interesting historical tour. Their library is award-winning. If you have a car, a drive down the Delores River Valley is just stunning. The mountain village has a conference center that books events she might want to look into what will be on when you're there. and the local museum advertises "fireside chats" of historical interest also up at the mountain village.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you Jerez, interesting stuff and fwiw Im certainly absorbing it all :)

AZSkiBum

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My suggestion is if you're going to eat out every night, stay as close to town as you can. That doesn't mean MV is out though. I've stayed at some of the resorts in town but further away from the main strip. On a cold night, I'd rather be taking the gondola from MV to Telluride and walking a short distance to the restaurant than walking 3/4 of a mile to/from Viking or Telluride lodge. Something peaceful too about taking a trip over the mountain at the end of the night. Every time I've been to MV at night, the place is mostly a ghost town so that may be something to consider too if you're not looking for night life. Dining choices just seem limited though. I'll probably go back again this year and try to stay in MV.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I really enjoyed our stay in the Telluride town a few years ago. We're not big partiers either, but it was really worth it to not have to get in the car at all during our stay. We were blessed with a bunch of snow, and literally skied from our hotel down to the lift and there were great dining and après options within walking distance.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of Telluride Mountain festival is held in Mountain Village, so we stayed there. Even with the Festival going on it still felt...deserted. At the time I didn't know I was looking at lost civilization. Now it all makes sense. The town is really cool...if I go back to Telluride I'd stay there.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Were it up to only her she wouldn't go skiing

We are returning to Telluride for the third year in a row. I wholeheartedly agree with those who recommend the town, particularly since your wife, like mine, isn't into skiing all that much. In town, my wife likes the restaurants, the shops, the bakery, the coffee shops, the theaters (and I don't mean movie theater). Last year, we went to a performance of Pippin. The year before, we went to a concert (not a partying concert).

She (nor we) are really the "party" types

The town is not a party town. Comparing to the East, I'd describe the town, in feel, to maybe Portsmouth NH? MV would be like a very large version of Stowe's Spruce Peak development, everything there, but sterile.

I agree with the earlier recommendation of staying at the Oak Street/Gondola area, and second the nomination of Camels Garden. When I ski with my wife, we go up the gondola, ski blues and easy blacks, meandering around the mountain, lunching either at MV or one of the restaurants on the mountain.

You, your wife, and your kids will appreciate the variety of options that staying in town will afford.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
and so I think town is it.

But my biggest dilemma is still about whether or not to stay over night in Montrose just to ease the possibility of altitude issues being we are coming from basically sea level.

They say and even strongly recommend that staying overnight in Denver (or in my case Montrose) at about 5500 can decrease the chances of alt issues 25 to 50%. But I question.....just where did these numbers come from? I mean who gathered up 2000 people and experimented by sending half straight to telluride while the other thousand stayed first in Denver (or Montrose) the first night? Other than doing this, how did they come up with these numbers which are a very wide margin at best anyway?

Here is the issue or better said my dilemma. It is known that coming from sea level one can also suffer from altitude issues just by staying at the 5500 of Montrose. And if anyone of us (or more) does have issue in Montrose, then the last thing we are suppose to do is head up to the higher elevation of telluride at the 8700. And so by staying in Montrose the first day/night to give ourselves the best chances and play it safe as possible, it could actually backfire and leave us stuck there for an additional day (or however long). This makes me think we should just depart the plane and go to telluride anyway.

Also we could stay in Montrose first day/night and be fine and then possibly end up with issues after heading to telluride anyway.

We arrive on a Saturday and leave on a Thursday. I mean its only 6days and really just 4 (full days without travel) and is not by any means a long enough trip. Even with that Im willing to sacrifice a day/night if it would help us enjoy most of the trip by increasing our chances for avoiding altitude issues as much as possible. But there is no guarantee it wont backfire nor make a difference accept to say that it is suggested that it should help better our chances 25 to 50% . I mean I just don't now what to do. The fact that its not a long trip....the last thing I want is anyone sick which can be a bummer. And for same reason don't want to lose much time cause there just isn't much.

So what do you think? Just dive in and go for it? and let the cards fall where they may. Or play it the "supposed" safer way by staying in Montrose first? and yet not really knowing for certain if that will end up being better, or possibly just as bad for the reasons given. .

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I'm thinking you are over-thinking it and wondering how many pages this thread will be by March. You could spend the night in Montrose and be on the slopes in Telluride before 10 the next day, assuming you can work out the logistics.

On the way to the last CO Epicski Gathering, I spent the night not much above sea level in CA, flew to Denver then drove to almost 12K over Loveland Pass, then skied well above 12K that afternoon at A-Basin and stayed at 9K in Silverthorne without problems. Your results may vary.

I have only been to Telluride once and it was in the late 1980s which I know is before they had the gondola and probably before there was much of a Mountain Village. We stayed at the New Sheridan (not as fancy then) and my wife was able to ski to town on her second day there and 4th day ever skiing (and may have been her first trip ever to snow). The lift operator questioned how she qot there as she was skiing on a $25 beginners special that included lift, lesson and rentals and her ticket only covered beginner lifts. She told him they had good instructors, even though she only used the lesson on the 1st day, and he let her load.

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The top of Telluride is definitely high but lets put a little context around the base. I'm not looking up the exact numbers but if you stay in town it's approximately 1,000' lower than Copper. Even more when considering Luv or A Basin. I'm not trying to minimize altitude sickness, I just trying to show in the grand scheme of things Telluride is not the highest thing going. I believe in town is lower than anything in Summit Co. I think staying in Montrose might be in your best interest just to ease your concerns. Sleeping in town will also be lower and that might be good also.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
whether or not to stay over night in Montrose just to ease the possibility of altitude issues

My wife suffers altitude sickness. Does at Snowmass, does at Telluride, despite keeping hydrated enroute. As I wrote before, like your wife, mine would rather not ski. So, here's thing. If you get altitude sickness, you'll live. If your wife gets altitude sickness, not sure what the outcome will be for you.

Last year, my wife went to Denver three days earlier. The kids and I met up with her at Denver airport and we flew straight into Telluride. She loved the museum, the restaurants, the coffee in Denver. She still got a headache in Telluride, but nothing incapacitating. The year before, she ended up in the medical clinic. I'm a lucky man.

This year, she will go to Boulder. We will meet in Montrose. We decided not to take the very small plane to Telluride, not because of any discomfort with the plane. We learned that the slightest weather will ground the plane and shut down the airport.

Last edited:

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I've taken 7 trips to Telluride and not once suffered a single day of altitude sickness.

CAVEATS (there are many):
  1. These seven trips occurred while I was ages 14 - 23. My personal experience as a flat-lander is that I was impervious to the (worrisome) effects of altitude until age 30. After 30, I started noticing trouble sleeping at over 8,000 feet, along with more noticeable dehydration (probably didn't help that I started drinking at 21 and haven't stopped). My dad accompanied me on most of these trips and had trouble sleeping (he's 25 years older).
  2. I only stayed in town on one of these trips and the other six I stayed down the road in Placerville (7,300).
  3. Every trip was by road from Missouri. I have a theory of my own that when driving from sea level to elevation, you are gradually adjusting and the effects of altitude can be minimized. (I have no idea if there is any scientific basis to this theory, but it does make sense.)

MY OPINION (conservative)
  1. Stay in Montrose the first night and get to Telluride as early as you can the next day.
  2. Don't overdo it the first day on the mountain.
  3. Drink water early and often and lay off the booze the first two days.
  4. In case I didn't say it before, take the whole family to the very top and ski down SEE FOREVER.

Sponsor

Staff online