• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
And so....finally after years of trying to get out west (from the east) its going to happen. After a long time searching info and trying to decide I chose Telluride for a mid March trip.

Hope I made the right decision. Mid march conditions? suppose to be realy good there. Crowds? not suppose to get flooded with spring breakers like other resorts. Scenery? suppose to be one of the nicest in the Rockies. Tell me if any that is flat out wrong please.

Also ...From what Ive read and understand its a great place to ski both more advanced and yet also offers good amount of easier and mid level runs almost anywhere on the mountain so a lessor skier like my wife can also enjoy the skiing and scenery while not just only from the very bottom of the resort like many other places.

My biggest struggle now is to decide between the town or Mountain Village. After reading many discussions and articles it seems I cant go wrong with either one. I lean towards MV because of its convenience as far as the main ski resort lodge/info/practicality itself. I do understand the town also does not exactly lack convenience.

FYI Im not looking for the party crowd. But I think the town maybe be prettier as far as viewing the surrounding peaks. Although we'd be skiing most days anyway. For some reason Im just a bit more fixed on MV. Im not really sure exactly why. What does anyone think about this and also about any my mentioned things above about telluride in general.

Also concerned about altitude sickness being we will be flying direct to Montrose and then right into the resort from basically sea level. I have been at altitude a few times and had no affect. But Im older now and my fam hasn't done this. I hear that pocket 02 cans are available to help. But it does concern me to make this expensive trip and then have myself or one of y fam members get ill. We don't plan on skiing the first day and figure give it a day at least before exerting ourselves and time to get acclimated. I know there is no crystal ball and every person is very different nor don't know if you can tell me anything I may not already read about and understand. But if you can offer anything it would be appreciated.

Thanks for any responses to all or any of this.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You will have an awesome trip. Being your first trip out west, you will have plenty of terrain to experience. Study a trail map to familiarize yourself with zones you want to check out, take advice from the locals on here....you'll have a great time.

Beautiful mountain/town. Great place to just walk before/after dinner and people watch. I'm a cheap date, I could've eaten at Brown Dog Pizza every night.....

Have stayed in a condo at Mountain Lodge Telluride. It was a great property for us. We just rode the gondola down into town at night to walk around/shop/eat. You can't really go wrong with your choice of lodging...go with your gut/wallet. Village and Town are both great!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've only been to Telluride once unfortunately. :( FWIW, we stayed at Camels Garden in the town and wouldn't have it any other way. The hotel is pretty darn good, the Oak St. lift and the Gondola are right outside the hotel. Oak St gets you to the best front side, advanced hills and the gondola gets you over the ridge to the village where the more intermediate terrain is. From almost any hotel/condo in town you can walk to all the restaurants and brew pubs pretty easily. We personally liked that a lot. Sitting in the hot tub on the roof and watching the sun set on Ajax peak was just a huge bonus.

Also, the village is at a higher elevation than the town, which is already pretty darn high. So you may want to consider that if you're worried about acclimatization. I had a lot of issues with the dry air too, so think humidifier and drinking liquids. Camels has humidifiers for the rooms. I think the village may have some nice properties so if pure luxury and ski in/ski out is your priority, it may work better for you. Also, my life is now suites because we have a toddler so that may make us rethink Camels but if you don't have that requirement, we really enjoyed our stay there. They'll tell you that you can take the gondola to town for dinner etc, and that's true. But it's still a 10 or 15 min ride when you can just walk down the street in the town.

Enjoy! It's a beautiful place.:)

Last edited:

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Love Telluride! I have been there on three separate trips. As far as Mountain Village vs town, I can only say that lodging in the Village will likely cost you a lot more. As for convenience, yes the slopes are there outside the door; as are some great restaurants and the sports shops. As you've read already, the town of Telluride is so well set up for access to the mountain that no one will sacrifice more than a few minutes arriving at the slopes if they ride the Gondola up from the street. Staying in one of the condos in town offers a little more variety for all the other things people do/need during a ski trip. To make my life easier when skiing Telluride, I rent an overnight ski locker---comes with boot heaters---and leave a couple of pair of skis there for the week. My boots sleep nicely with a very low heat and are all ready to go in the morning. I keep my bootbag in the locker too. It contains a couple pair of goggles and pairs of mittens offering a choice for weather conditions, and all the outdoor sundry items one might want to have handy. Schlepping skis around is totally avoided and the cost of the locker is a bargain for the convenience it offers.

It's a quirky little town. Once you're there you will find a parking spot (with difficulty off mountain sometimes) and leave the car. You won't need it, or want to need it, since acquiring another parking spot is going to be tricky. Walking through the town is easy, interesting, and fun. Follow one of the many dogs ---they know the best shortcuts. If you plan to do your own cooking and need groceries be prepared with a shopping tote (they charge for grocery bags) and a creative set of cooking skills because there is not a bevy of food choices in the local market. Maybe Telluride has added another grocery, but I doubt it. It is part of the adventure. My husband and I really enjoy preparing our own dinner after skiing, so if you like doing that as well, be prepared. The restaurants are usually better than average and crowded. Be prepared for that too!

Best of all, be prepared to have a wonderful experience in this beautiful location. The skiing is great.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
And so....finally after years of trying to get out west (from the east) its going to happen. After a long time searching info and trying to decide I chose Telluride for a mid March trip.

Hope I made the right decision. Mid march conditions? suppose to be realy good there. Crowds? not suppose to get flooded with spring breakers like other resorts. Scenery? suppose to be one of the nicest in the Rockies. Tell me if any that is flat out wrong please.

Also ...From what Ive read and understand its a great place to ski both more advanced and yet also offers good amount of easier and mid level runs almost anywhere on the mountain so a lessor skier like my wife can also enjoy the skiing and scenery while not just only from the very bottom of the resort like many other places.

My biggest struggle now is to decide between the town or Mountain Village. After reading many discussions and articles it seems I cant go wrong with either one. I lean towards MV because of its convenience as far as the main ski resort lodge/info/practicality itself. I do understand the town also does not exactly lack convenience.

FYI Im not looking for the party crowd. But I think the town maybe be prettier as far as viewing the surrounding peaks. Although we'd be skiing most days anyway. For some reason Im just a bit more fixed on MV. Im not really sure exactly why. What does anyone think about this and also about any my mentioned things above about telluride in general.

Also concerned about altitude sickness being we will be flying direct to Montrose and then right into the resort from basically sea level. I have been at altitude a few times and had no affect. But Im older now and my fam hasn't done this. I hear that pocket 02 cans are available to help. But it does concern me to make this expensive trip and then have myself or one of y fam members get ill. We don't plan on skiing the first day and figure give it a day at least before exerting ourselves and time to get acclimated. I know there is no crystal ball and every person is very different nor don't know if you can tell me anything I may not already read about and understand. But if you can offer anything it would be appreciated.

Thanks for any responses to all or any of this.

Happy to help on this one Goose, welcome to Pugski. I did 10+ winters in Telluride so I know the place pretty good. I absolutely love it there, hopefully you are going to have an amazing time too. As for where to stay, well, you are right, both are great places to be. If you were wanting to go out and stay out late, then staying down in town would be the better option, but as you are not into staying out too late by the sounds of things, then MV is probably a better option. You have the free gondola that takes you up and over to Telluride if you do want to head down there (there are better restaurants down there, let me know if you need any recommendations) so you don't need a car when you are there. There might be a better range of accommodation in MV too.

Mid-March is a great time to be there, there should be plenty of snow by then and the crowds never get too thick, even during Spring Break. You might find crowds at the bottom of the main access lifts first thing, but once people have dispersed higher up the mountain, then you want have any problems getting on the lifts. The views are absolutely amazing, if the sun is out (Telluride does average more than 300 sunny days a year), chances are you will get some amazing views. The highlight is probably from the top of See Forever (aptly named) where you can look to the west and see the La Sal range out in Utah, but the close by peaks are pretty spectacular too (Mt. Wilson, Wilson Peak and Sunshine Mtn are amazing, then over the backside of the mountain in the Wasatch Face area. If you are comfortable skiing black runs, then Revelation Bowl is an awesome place to be on a sunny day.

Telluride does have a lot of steeper black runs and has a reputation of being for advanced skiers/boarders, but that is selling the place short. There are plenty of intermediate runs (lifts 4, 5, 12) and awesome long groomed green runs off of chair 10. Head up to the top of 12 and then head down Galloping Goose for the longest run on the mountain around 4.6 miles. If you are going to do the run down into the old town of Telluride (Telluride Trail) then hit it early as it does get icy by the end of the day.

People from low lying areas definitely can feel the altitude during the first few days. Make sure you drink plenty of water and if you really need it, you can get oxygen canisters from some of the ski shops or down at the pharmacy on mainstreet in town, for a boost. If the condition gets worse, then there is a clinic in town (closer to chair 7) and they are plenty experienced enough to help people suffering from altitude sickness. Happy to answer anymore questions you might have.

Kind regards,
Matt

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Mid-March in Telluride is a solid bet. This is 22" overnight in March this year.
20170324_080438.jpg

I stay in town and have not spent much time in MV. I agree, you can't go wrong with either. It is easy enough to ride the free gondi back and forth. , and yes, the on hill amenities at MV are better than town.

The mountain is loaded with terrain for any skier. Plenty of trees, steeps and groomers. Please read the altitude sickness thread here.

Have fun. Special place. Out in the middle of nowhere.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As others have stated, you can't go wrong with staying in town or in MV, both are great. The gondi is free so you can get to town or the village without much fuss. Plan on parking your vehicle and not using it the whole time you are there (another great thing about Tellu). I've stayed in both the town and MV and I'd say my preference is the village just due to slightly easier ski area access as you can ski in/out from most of the hotels up there whereas if you stay in town you might have a couple block walk or quick shuttle ride to the lifts. Town is more boutique hotels, MV is all resort-like and you get the views from both.

Mid-March is a great time to go, you will have peak base and likely warmer spring-like days. The last time I skied up there in March it was 60 degrees at the base. If you are going for a powder day you may be disappointed but Telluride is good in any conditions.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
wow.. sounds like you all thus far think I made a great choice with tell.
Makes me feel good.
To be honest we will be staying mostly on piste. My kids (older now) are intermediate at best and my days of charging hard down steep bumps are past me but for only small spurts nowadays. And besides except for a couple trips to the Austrian alps many years ago (the 80's) my skiing has all been east coast. So im more than happy skiing groomers mid to expert and carving in a more relaxed style vs my younger days. The body just doesn't take hard charging the way it use for too long...lol. but Ill be doing my share. But im also looking forward to the views and scenery of the place as well.

I do hope we will have a good share of snow and runs to chose from in mid March. Week of the 10th through that week. But only 6 days and minus travel days its basically 4 free days of enjoyment. Probably 3 days skiing while the first full day acclimating and checking things out.
I know there is no way to guarantee anything snow wise but I understand Tell is usually written up as being a great place to ski in mid march.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also, all the weed shops are in town if that factors into your decision. Go easy on the edibles.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
and thanks again. I was posting last post as others posted. Fwiw Im not even getting a car. Will arrange transport from Montrose airport to tell. Just don't (from what is said by just about everyone everywhere) don't need a car. car seems to be more trouble than its worth. If I stay in MV it will be in the village core and again this way we can walk to everything.

But so glad im getting good responses. Im getting more excited about this trip already. I wish it could be longer but what can ya do? Its a matter of common available time for the whole fam and also money. But hey Im sure a 6 day trip (and yes only really 4 free days) will be a great experience.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, all the weed shops are in town if that factors into your decision. Go easy on the edibles.
Lol,, thanks but not my thing.
I would just get the munchies and eat every bag of potato chips and every box of lucky charms available.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Happy to help on this one Goose, welcome to Pugski. I did 10+ winters in Telluride so I know the place pretty good. I absolutely love it there, hopefully you are going to have an amazing time too. As for where to stay, well, you are right, both are great places to be. If you were wanting to go out and stay out late, then staying down in town would be the better option, but as you are not into staying out too late by the sounds of things, then MV is probably a better option. You have the free gondola that takes you up and over to Telluride if you do want to head down there (there are better restaurants down there, let me know if you need any recommendations) so you don't need a car when you are there. There might be a better range of accommodation in MV too.

Mid-March is a great time to be there, there should be plenty of snow by then and the crowds never get too thick, even during Spring Break. You might find crowds at the bottom of the main access lifts first thing, but once people have dispersed higher up the mountain, then you want have any problems getting on the lifts. The views are absolutely amazing, if the sun is out (Telluride does average more than 300 sunny days a year), chances are you will get some amazing views. The highlight is probably from the top of See Forever (aptly named) where you can look to the west and see the La Sal range out in Utah, but the close by peaks are pretty spectacular too (Mt. Wilson, Wilson Peak and Sunshine Mtn are amazing, then over the backside of the mountain in the Wasatch Face area. If you are comfortable skiing black runs, then Revelation Bowl is an awesome place to be on a sunny day.

Telluride does have a lot of steeper black runs and has a reputation of being for advanced skiers/boarders, but that is selling the place short. There are plenty of intermediate runs (lifts 4, 5, 12) and awesome long groomed green runs off of chair 10. Head up to the top of 12 and then head down Galloping Goose for the longest run on the mountain around 4.6 miles. If you are going to do the run down into the old town of Telluride (Telluride Trail) then hit it early as it does get icy by the end of the day.

People from low lying areas definitely can feel the altitude during the first few days. Make sure you drink plenty of water and if you really need it, you can get oxygen canisters from some of the ski shops or down at the pharmacy on mainstreet in town, for a boost. If the condition gets worse, then there is a clinic in town (closer to chair 7) and they are plenty experienced enough to help people suffering from altitude sickness. Happy to answer anymore questions you might have.

Kind regards,
Matt
Thank you for sharing all that info
And of course all others here as well :)
And yes I would like to try some bowl skiing. havnt done that since those trips to the alps in the 80's lol.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agreed, Telluride's a great destination pick, and both town and Mountain Village have a lot to recommend them. Town is more charming and has more dining, drinking, and shopping options. Mountain Village is quieter, with more modern accommodations, and slopeside options for the intermediate terrain it sounds like you're likely to enjoy most. The Coonskin base area actually has most of the same skier amenities as Mountain Village (and the best grocery in town, Clark's), but from there you'd have a few minutes' walk to get into the heart of town (over by the Gondola/Oak Street lift). Views from both are spectacular. Spring Break in Telluride tends to be pretty nice because it draws visitors from all over, plus Arizona (where the biggest concentration of Telluride skiers come from) schools stagger their spring breaks. My last trip there a year and a half ago was the busiest spring day I've ever seen at T-Ride, but even so I never waited more than a minute or so in a lift line.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The town bus system is really good too. Free as I recall.

I much prefer town. Multiple ski lifts go right from the town but some of the runs down to them can be pretty steep.

Waiting for and riding a gondola from town after a nice meal after dark might be frigid but March shouldn't be too bad. Super eating town with every budget and taste. Be sure to explore the town even if you stay at MV.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For me, town for sure.

I have only been once and stayed up in MV. It was nice, but we ended up riding the gondola into town almost every night. Nicer to ride up in the morning and ski down at the end of the day and be in town. Plus I have trouble sleeping at altitude...1,500 feet can make a big difference.

No need for a car.

Loved Telluride and have been wanting to go back ever since.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
For me, town all the way. Much preferred the vibe compared to the MV. It's still pricey down in town, but it feels more like a real place than a faux-town.

Then again, you might now want to take advice from someone who's lodging during his one trip last year there looked like this:

16425722_10101089301532820_5649747230767683146_n.jpg

In our defense...it was very convenient to the skiing. And a good conversation starter in the bars.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
For me, town all the way. Much preferred the vibe compared to the MV. It's still pricey down in town, but it feels more like a real place than a faux-town.

Then again, you might now want to take advice from someone who's lodging during his one trip last year there looked like this:

16425722_10101089301532820_5649747230767683146_n.jpg

In our defense...it was very convenient to the skiing. And a good conversation starter in the bars.
haha.....hey, you do what'ya gatta do...right?

Sponsor

Staff online