• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Temp specific wax and Liquid Parafin questions

offtraildog

Booting up
Skier
Recreational skier. primarily ski the local hill in northern MT so moist, overcast, cold. Last year was my first season tuning my skis and I kept it simple. I only used Swix F4 (All Temp) Solid wax. I would hot wax with F4 about every 3rd ski day and daily I would apply F4 liquid wax.

Thinking about using Toko "performance" hot wax and BPLP daily in-between hot waxing.
* Should I hot wax with Toko Black and use the BPLP that matches the conditions of the day?
* Do I hot wax with a temp-specific wax and if so, do I need to match the temp-range of the hot wax with the BPLP?
* With temp-specific hot waxes, do i need to remove the wax before hot waxing with a different temp-specific wax? If so, how do i remove the "old" wax?

Thanks!

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Don't remove old wax. Just wax again for the conditions.
Use Swix Glide Wax Cleaner before you wax.
1606610339999.png

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I just switch between Racewax red and green depending on the forecast. Pre-season there's a CH3 or 4 underlayer to help protect the bases and because things do tend to the cold side. They are all hydrocarbon, so over time, I'm sure there's no real layers going on, they're all blending together. I might refresh that hard wax during the subzero period. I just use brushes (metal pre-waxing, nylon and horsehair post-waxing) to clean out the structure.

Last edited:

Jacques

Skier
apparently that stuff is liquid gold .. can't find it anywhere.
They just reformulated the Glide Wax Cleaner. Hang in there.
Then, don't drink it, or let it get into your wind pipe as you do. (do not drink!)
If you don't do those things you will be fine.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Everything is always newer and improver. Throw out the old stuff and buy new.
They got you guys chasing your own tail.

Jacques

Skier
Everything is always newer and improver. Throw out the old stuff and buy new.
They got you guys chasing your own tail.
The old formula had fluoro in it. They had to take it out for the racing fluoro ban. That's my understanding.
From Swix: " SWIX Glide Wax Cleaner is Fluoro Free for 2020-21.•Please replace earlier product as it contains fluoro. "

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The old formula had fluoro in it. They had to take it out for the racing fluoro ban. That's my understanding.
From Swix: " SWIX Glide Wax Cleaner is Fluoro Free for 2020-21.•Please replace earlier product as it contains fluoro. "

Yup, stop using that old stuff, throw them out. Give us more money and we'll give you some of the newer and improved stuff. I do like how they are so polite about it. Even used the magic word "Please." Yup, gonna run out and throw some money at those boys.

Like most out there, I don't race. The FIS racing fluoro ban doesn't mean much to me. So I will continue to use the stuff I have until expended. I like my money in my own pocket.

Probably what worries me most is the thought of a first year replacement to a long running product. Think oil base paint. 30 years later, the new formulations are still crappy.

Jacques

Skier
Yup, stop using that old stuff, throw them out. Give us more money and we'll give you some of the newer and improved stuff. I do like how they are so polite about it. Even used the magic word "Please." Yup, gonna run out and throw some money at those boys.

Like most out there, I don't race. The FIS racing fluoro ban doesn't mean much to me. So I will continue to use the stuff I have until expended. I like my money in my own pocket.

Probably what worries me most is the thought of a first year replacement to a long running product. Think oil base paint. 30 years later, the new formulations are still crappy.
I don't race either. I am going to the store soon, and will buy a couple large bottles of the "old" formula.
All I know is since I have been a user for years now, it works, and my ski haul the mail!
I'm sure the Kleen-Strip Prep-All will work to clean, but there is something way different with the Swix Glide Wax Cleaner.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
... Pre-season there's a CH3 or 4 underlayer to help protect the bases and because things do tend to the cold side....
IMO, this is particularly helpful with the liquid waxes. I tend to wax one range colder than the air temp suggests if I'm looking for more durability and plan to use spray wax on top for multiple ski days, and that's after starting out with a layer of cold(ish) wax to finish up my base-prep process. I don't often use CH3 or 4 just because I hate both running the iron that hot and trying to scrape wax that hard.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, 3 is a powder so it's easier to spread. And I'll rewarm things after setting the skis aside for an hour to help with the scraping. CH4 does have the issue of the drips popping off all over if you don't smush them before spreading them.

Reactions: NE1

Sponsor