• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Temperature ?

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey so I was hoping some one could give me a legit answer ... So as stated in my previous threads I have bought a bunch of boot fitting tools including a boot oven to mess around and practice fitting boots .. so I have bought and been given older boots and or used boots to experiment with .. well yesterday I got a pair of current Lange rx130s on sale to mess with so to the pro boot fitters out here what is the temp length to put the liners in the oven for? as Lange is one of the only companies that I cant find that info readily available .. Disclaimer ( I know there is a possibility of ruining them etc but I have a real ski boot oven they are going in along with other boot fitting tools I have bought to learn and practice with )

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
:popcorn:

I’ll spend $400 on a tool to fix my truck, then spend 4 hours researching the process and then spend another 4 hours actually fixing the truck versus spending $600 at the repair shop. Long way of saying I like your initiative, keep us posted!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The boot oven should have a set temperature. I tend to not put boot shells in the oven more than 6 minutes, but I'd start checking the plastic around 4 minutes.

Also you'll need some gloves like shop gloves or uline type gloves to handle the boots when they are warm.

TS
JChockey22

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
The boot oven should have a set temperature. I tend to not put boot shells in the oven more than 6 minutes, but I'd start checking the plastic around 4 minutes.

Also you'll need some gloves like shop gloves or uline type gloves to handle the boots when they are warm.
I’m just doing the liners .. correct me if I’m wrong langes shells cannot go in the oven ? And the oven I have can be set to 150 Celsius most of the boots I have messed with thus far have been 80 for 5-8 mins .. with these I just want to be 100% because I might actually ski these ones lol

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can you post a picture of your oven?

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
I’m just doing the liners .. correct me if I’m wrong langes shells cannot go in the oven ? And the oven I have can be set to 150 Celsius most of the boots I have messed with thus far have been 80 for 5-8 mins .. with these I just want to be 100% because I might actually ski these ones lol
It has been a couple years since I had the RS130's, but those liners were not heat moldable. Not sure about the current RX's but since you can't find the information it might be because they are not heat moldable.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
As @Tricia says, the temperature of the ovens supplied by the ski boot manufacturers is preset at the factory, the fitter can only adjust the timer, if one is fitted. The length of time that a pair of boots / liners needs to spend in the oven depends on the factory set temperature. To avoid burning your feet I wouldn’t heat the liners above 80°C, this should take around 12 min in an oven that’s set to 80°C, it’s also advisable to wear socks with a wool content of at least 45% when molding the liners.

It looks like your Blademaster oven has temperature control, the ovens supplied by the ski boot manufacturers, which are all made by the German company K-Tech Konstruktion Automation Produktion GmbH have factory set temperatures. When you order an oven from them, you have to specify the temperature you want it set to; for a 115v oven, this can be anywhere between 40°C and 117°C (104°F – 243°F) and 40°C – 130°C (104°F – 266°F) for a 230v oven.

You might find Martino Colonna et al’s papers: Thermo-formation Process of Plastic Shells for Winter Sport Boots for Improved Comfort https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12283-017-0247-9 , Thermo-formable Materials for Ski Boots for Improved Comfort and Performance https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705815014368?via=ihub and Materials, Designs and Standards Used in Ski-Boots for Alpine Skiing https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4663/1/4/78 of use.

TS
JChockey22

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
so an update I did the liners at 80 Celsius for 6 mins came out good .. might mess around doing a punch in the navicular after I ski them a few times ... I got to say getting molding temps and times is a difficult endeavor all the ski forums I looked at researching most people were stone walled from the info

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sign up for Masterfit's bootfitting seminar next Fall, it will probably be at Mt. Snow sometime in Sept/Oct. Very well worth your investment ot time and money.

TS
JChockey22

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
Sign up for Masterfit's bootfitting seminar next Fall, it will probably be at Mt. Snow sometime in Sept/Oct. Very well worth your investment ot time and money.
NO fooling wally ?!!!!!! that would be amazing !!!!!!!! I thought only shop employees could do that ? !!!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

Do you know who the presenters are... the teachers?

Sponsor

Staff online