• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tennis Anyone?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I don’t see it as a “vacuum” in the Australian Open; it just makes each round more interesting now. And Medvevev had beaten Djokovic in the US Open last year, so it wasn’t like Novak was guaranteed to win. Other contenders are closing in. I just hope the commentary is light on Djokovic now as it’s a done deal.
The ultimate irony would be if some low ranking no name from ND's side of the draw won the title!

There will be endless speculation whether that no name person would have beaten ND anyway. ogsmile

James

Out There
Instructor
Yea!! They gave him the boot.
Maybe his mother will be happy he’s not being “tortured” in the immigration hotel.

t sure why they didn’t make a bigger deal of him filling out a false application. Should have been a slam dunk boot on that one.

Is he banned from Australia now for three years? (We can only hope)

So we ended up with a circus and probably undid all the good work of the last 2 decades in re-establishing the Australian Open as one of the grand slam majors.
Nah, just Djokovic will suffer with this. I mean Tennis Australia perhaps, but most don’t even know what that is. I don’t see the world associating the AO with being sub par because of one jack wagon who didn’t want to follow the rules.

The tournament is fine. Would be better if Federer was there.

Now, can we get a Nadal - Kyrgios match again? The draw is to hard to look at on a phone. Anyone have a pdf link?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What are the rules in NYC right now? Could he be not allowed to play in the US Open?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean, I'd be shocked if there are any rules around entering the US right now. So I'm sure they'll let him right on in.. :huh:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I mean, I'd be shocked if there are any rules around entering the US right now. So I'm sure they'll let him right on in.. :huh:
You cant go eat in a restraint or go see a Rangers game without a vax card. Kyrie can't play home games.. but they do let visiting team unvaxxed players in so Joker probably gets to play..

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the case of the Australia Open, ND was absolutely encouraged and enabled by Tennis Australia and especially its CEO who just would not take no for an answer in attempting to get the current world men's #1 seed to the event. That CEO was advised in writing by the Australian Federal Health Minister that a previous infection would not be grounds for a medical exemption but decided to keep trying.

So we ended up with a circus and probably undid all the good work of the last 2 decades in re-establishing the Australian Open as one of the grand slam majors. The only reason it is on that majors list is because enough people think it should be. There's nothing to say that status can't be withdrawn.

With respect to the quote above, perhaps the mistake is ours in giving too much weight to the comments of a person who is good at one particular activity. ND is a damn fine tennis player but what he thinks/says about transformation of water is probably best ignored. There are plenty of people who are far more influential in making public policy - 'cause they get voted in - who say the most batsh*t crazy stuff. Perhaps we should focus our attention on them.
Thanks for this extra info. I was confused as to how Tennis Australia’s and Victoria’s rules differed from Australian immigration and why there wasn’t communication/alignment between the parties.

Did Tennis Australia/Victoria write those rules (entry allowed for medical exemption) for players already in Australia? So the state of Victoria just had more lax rules than the country?

It’s unfortunate because it can be construed as a political ploy by the Australian government in an election year, despite all the dumb stuff done by Djokovic and Co. (I agree he shouldn’t have been allowed in).

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Is he banned from Australia now for three years? (We can only hope)

At this point. But PM even this morning said he can re-apply in future and it would be considered. So it's really only a one-timer with a more bit of legal paperwork. That's assuming he wants to return and there's something gives on the vax thing.

Nah, just Djokovic will suffer with this. I mean Tennis Australia perhaps, but most don’t even know what that is. I don’t see the world associating the AO with being sub par because of one jack wagon who didn’t want to follow the rules.

Think the CEO and the Board of TA will have an issue if it isn't a damned good tournament. But won't expect the CEO to fall on his sword - not the type.

Would be better if Federer was there.

ogsmile

Thanks for this extra info. I was confused as to how Tennis Australia’s and Victoria’s rules differed from Australian immigration and why there wasn’t communication/alignment between the parties.

Did Tennis Australia/Victoria write those rules (entry allowed for medical exemption) for players already in Australia? So the state of Victoria just had more lax rules than the country?

It’s unfortunate because it can be construed as a political ploy by the Australian government in an election year, despite all the dumb stuff done by Djokovic and Co. (I agree he shouldn’t have been allowed in).

The Federal Govt is legally responsible for controlling entry into Australia. Once in Australia the States/Territories say who can come into their state/territory. That's an authority that has only ever been used twice. Both times in pandemics - in 1918 and now for this one.

The current Victorian State Govt and the current Federal Govt are on opposite sides of the political fence and participate in the usual finger pointing, blame-shifting where-ever possible. It's their version of a tennis match. Fact is the Fed and State Govts can be the same side of the fence and will still partake in that sport. :snowball:

So the Vic Govt would like a good tennis open for whatever the economic boost and they know they can always blame the Feds for any right of entry to country issues. Nothing to lose, so why not. Tennis Australia tried to find a way through the gaps that always exist in silos of bureaucracy, different govts and simply used Nelson's telescope on anything they didn't like. :facepalm:

Ploy or stuff-up? I'm voting for stuff-up. :philgoat:

James

Out There
Instructor
The thing is, for me, not having Djokovic in a tournament makes little difference. I suppose if he missed all the majors it would matter. Just look at missing one as he’s on an extended strategic bathroom nreak.

I can do without Murray’s incessant whining when he plays too, but I’m glad he’s back.
Kyrgios is one of the most interesting players, but just too self destructive to rely on.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The thing is, for me, not having Djokovic in a tournament makes little difference. I suppose if he missed all the majors it would matter. Just look at missing one as he’s on an extended strategic bathroom nreak.
:roflmao:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
image002.jpg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Watching the Murray v Basilashvili (AO R1) match. It's amazing how well Murray is moving again after all the hip surgeries. What statement to his work ethic and power of will.

Medvedev looks awfully good for the tournament. He's looking very comfortable, flowing around the court. His serves are even more killer this new year.

Just looked at Medvedev v Djokovic's recent head to head (50/50 since 2019). If they had met in the finals, I think it would have been a very touch match up.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has his whining quotient gone down with increased hip mobility?
He's still talking at his box after each point.

Otherwise no complaints against court or other conditions.

I'm not sure where your reference point might be.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else looking forward to Alcarez v Berrentini tonight? Hoping for a tight match up, well constructed points, and lots of guile.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well Kyrgios unfortunately ran into Medvedev, and with his “when can I go play basketball?” attitude, lost in 4. Such a shame with that dude.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well Kyrgios unfortunately ran into Medvedev, and with his “when can I go play basketball?” attitude, lost in 4. Such a shame with that dude.

Yeah, Aussies are happy he's enjoying his tennis again. Was a time he may have walked. He may never realise his full potential but he's a step up from Tomic.

And we have Ash Barty on the women's side. Quiet, effective.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Anyone else looking forward to Alcarez v Berrentini tonight? Hoping for a tight match up, well constructed points, and lots of guile.
Pretty excited, but doubt I'll watch (stupid work in the morning).

Depends on conditions. On a fast court, Berrettini should roll, but ... Alcaraz is always exciting.