• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tennis. The beautiful game.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Is anyone following the 2019 US OPEN?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is anyone following the 2019 US OPEN?
Yes, following Gauf since debut at Wimbledon. Hoping she makes it to the quarters or past.

Naomi seems to be on her game after rough mid year.

Happy Townsend, who is bringing back serve and volley, is past third round. Sad to hear about Djokovic's left shoulder.

Very surprised to see Sangren get past second round. Talk about a late bloomer. He's been working so hard, hope he gets a little further.

Federer isn't starting his matches well, so I'm concerned. He's still my favorite, but ....

So.... @Uncle-A, what do you see, like or hate?

Uncle-A

Skier
Yes, following Gauf since debut at Wimbledon. Hoping she makes it to the quarters or past.

Naomi seems to be on her game after rough mid year.

Happy Townsend, who is bringing back serve and volley, is past third round. Sad to hear about Djokovic's left shoulder.

Very surprised to see Sangren get past second round. Talk about a late bloomer. He's been working so hard, hope he gets a little further.

Federer isn't starting his matches well, so I'm concerned. He's still my favorite, but ....

So.... @Uncle-A, what do you see, like or hate?
I want wondering how Coco the 15 year old was doing?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I want wondering how Coco the 15 year old was doing?

I'm away from TV this weekend, but was able to find highlights of the third round match between Naomi and Coco Gauf. Unfortunately, there can only be one.

On court interview after the match. What class, not often seen in other sports/endeavors.

Uncle-A

Skier
I'm away from TV this weekend, but was able to find highlights of the third round match between Naomi and Coco Gauf. Unfortunately, there can only be one.

On court interview after the match. What class, not often seen in other sports/endeavors.
I too am away from my TV for an extra long weekend. I was able to get enough bars on my phone to watch the second interview video and the term class act does apply and is part of why it is such a beautiful game. Thanks for sharing.

James

Out There
Instructor
Osaka dominated Gauff, even with a lot of unforced errors.

Meanwhile, Kyrgios is serving consistently at 130+mph. He had a couple at 141.
Amazing talent, but seemingly doesn’t care. Lost tie break in second set up 4-0. McEnroe called the match likely over when K double faulted for 4-2.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Been watching US Open a lot now that my daughter is playing more competitively and it's been a lot of fun. A great learning experience for her. Just watched Gauff and McNally win their doubles match. 15 and 17 years old! Pretty amazing.

James

Out There
Instructor
Djokovic retires! Down two sets and a break in the third.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been watching US Open a lot now that my daughter is playing more competitively and it's been a lot of fun. A great learning experience for her. Just watched Gauff and McNally win their doubles match. 15 and 17 years old! Pretty amazing.

Just watched the highlights.... Wow, what volley skills from both McNally and Gauf. Have also seen them play singles, so know their groundstrokes and serves are solid. Beautiful.....

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Looks like Federer is finally finding his form. This highlight reel of his 3rd round match against Goffin has him looking sharp after a couple of games.

Uncle-A

Skier
What do you think of the antics of the Russian guy?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What do you think of the antics of the Russian guy?

Are we talking about Rublev (Russian)? He seems to "wear his heart on he's sleeve". First came on my radar just after this year's Australian Open. One if the younger players that might grow into a contender. What antics? Seems straight forward disappointment in himself in the last match here....

Now, I think you mean the Australian Nick Kyrgios, seen here in second round match loss against Rublev
Most commentators use the word "antics".. I see boredom and/or a lack of respect for the craft, himself and others.
He's got great natural physical gifts, but his attitude isn't there. Whether that's wiring or training, no clue. So, if he's ever gets late round success, it's likely later after some maturity.

Much of the same could be said of Frenchman Monfils. Seems to have the natural gifts, but not the mental discipline/game.

James

Out There
Instructor
He’s talking about Medvedev.

Medvedev is the new asshat of the tournament. But he’s been playing well. Wawrinka will face him next.

We’re on track for a Nadal -Federer or Nadal -Wawrinka final. Nadal and Fed have never met at the US Open.
Fed has not been the strongest, and Nadal had played only four hours before last night.

I don’t think Serena is moving that well. She’s beatable, but don’t see anyone to do it.

Nadal - Monfils semi could be very good.
Much of the same could be said of Frenchman Monfils. Seems to have the natural gifts, but not the mental discipline/game.
He seems to be much better right now. Commentators are giving credit to his girlfriend, Svitolina. I don’t see him collapsing in the 5th set like he’s been known for. If he makes it, I think he could beat Nadal, but it’ll be tough.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online