• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Test skis arriving...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am looking forward to trying these Renown Z90 skis. I will say they take pride in the way they ship them. Pretty cool box.

IMG_0312.JPG

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not familiar with that name, is it a ski or a new model?
Don't trash that box.
It is a ski brand and specifically a model. Link is in the initial post. Small company building skis in Vermont.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know about the skis themselves, but that box looks like it would be good for at least 10 uses. Nice!

As a (mostly) lapsed polymer engineer, I'm very intrigued about the use of their "HDT" material in skis.

And I love me some sidecut, so even more intrigued.

But at $1,300 MSRP, my Rock Magnet tendencies will probably by a limiting factor.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I'm a bit puzzled by a VT ski maker building a 90mm underfoot CARVER with a 16.5' turn radius.
Doesn't mention how it performs on grass, dirt or ice though....

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
My super bros hold an edge better than anything else in my quiver 91mm waist and 30 meter sidecut they are not my everyday ski but it hold on hard snow far better than my GS skis.

There have been many days this year where my 81 mm waisted full camber X powers late in the day were a chore and my 88mm Brahmas with tip and tail rocker were easier to hook up in the weird sugary snow.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't know about the skis themselves, but that box looks like it would be good for at least 10 uses. Nice!

As a (mostly) lapsed polymer engineer, I'm very intrigued about the use of their "HDT" material in skis.

And I love me some sidecut, so even more intrigued.

But at $1,300 MSRP, my Rock Magnet tendencies will probably by a limiting factor.
Yeh, especially if they managed some sort of super low temperature compensation.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it the photo or does that box have zero camber?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Look has an older Kastle vibe to it..

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Makes good sense to send out demos in a reusable wood box. Easy to pack back up for the next tester and keeps them from getting damaged.
Nicely played :thumb:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My super bros hold an edge better than anything else in my quiver 91mm waist and 30 meter sidecut they are not my everyday ski but it hold on hard snow far better than my GS skis.

There have been many days this year where my 81 mm waisted full camber X powers late in the day were a chore and my 88mm Brahmas with tip and tail rocker were easier to hook up in the weird sugary snow.

I agree whole-heartedly that skinny carvers are a lot of work on afternoon "groomers" with random sugar piles everywhere.

91mm waist holds better than GS race skis though? That would seem to defy some physics. Are the GS skis just too much of a one-trick pony that doing anything other than a GS turn feels awful on them and your super-bros have some forgiveness built in so they feel better?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I agree whole-heartedly that skinny carvers are a lot of work on afternoon "groomers" with random sugar piles everywhere.

91mm waist holds better than GS race skis though? That would seem to defy some physics. Are the GS skis just too much of a one-trick pony that doing anything other than a GS turn feels awful on them and your super-bros have some forgiveness built in so they feel better?

super Bros are damper, have tighter sidecut in the tip, straighter underfoot and much softer tip and tail. the wider platform let you stivot them easier and still hook up it seems. Basically are real hard core ice the Gs skis take the edge but on anything real world give me the Cadillac Super Bros.

They really are one of the most idiot proof skis I have ever owned. Once we have some wide open groomers you are welcome to try them, but the reality is their purpose is to go mach schnell. You can only get tight carved turns out of them going fairly fast.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That Super Bro (Hart Boss) was an amazing ski, as much for the shape but more so for the construction, it came from the Pannotti/ Blossom factory. When I was working with them we discussed making that ski in a 185cm...I think it would have been a ton of fun. I asked but never got a reason why they made it only in the 195cm.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Fuelie bosses exist in a 185 and 175..... they are basically impossible to find though.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fuelie bosses exist in a 185 and 175..... they are basically impossible to find though.
I don't think they every got made, we had them on the order forms but the cost to make them was in the $6K range per mold and there wasn't enough orders.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
91mm waist holds better than GS race skis though? That would seem to defy some physics.

It doesn't defy physics - it defies the assumptions people make to make physics simpler.

The moment you postulate compressible snow all those narrow-waist calculations, particularly the ones assuming that the pivot point for the lever is at the ski edge, can go fly out the window for all the use they are.

The one calculation that does work well in the compressible snow case is the computation of ground reaction force shift - wider skis still require less angulation than narrower skis and so we can easily say "less work".