• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Texas couple sue Jackson Hole Mountain resort…

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Don't rely on someone else for your safety. Check your equipment. I do an inspection of my gear every time I go. Still shit happens.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bindings do not just come off, let alone 10-15 feet in the air, they need some sort of force.

There are a lot of variables that were not in the poorly written article that will come out in court. Hoback Sports is a reputable shop, its not Carl's "Rent your Gear HERE" rental shop on the access road. Head/Tyrolia have lawyers on retention for such a case. I would be surprised if this sees the inside of a court room.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why sue Jackson Hole? Do they own and run the rental shop as well?

Sorry - European asking questions
They have deep pockets.

They will not sue Colin, the shop grunt that lives in the back of his Subaru, he doesn't have any money.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Seems like a case where the parties will spend $200,000 in combined attorney fees arguing over a settlement amount and how much each of the defendants would pay.

OSD

Getting on the lift
Skier
It's one thing to question the need for a lawsuit but quite another to make it sound like the skier was at fault.
I didn't mean to imply that, just saying that's how I read the 10 to 15 feet in the air bit. Like the detail was included to underscore that there was no terrain impact.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
One of the worst slides I’ve ever taken was when I wasn’t going that fast, although the trail was fairly steep.

I was skiing Cannon’s Avalanche trail and my skis just stopped. No clue what happened, but I double ejected, landed on my tush and slid a few hundred vertical feet. Conditions were probably standard New England - ie, firm.

Point being…. You don’t have to be skiing that fast to go for a long slide. However, getting something - a ski, a human - 10-15 feet vertically off the ground seems implausible. Even 10-15 feet horizontally seems difficult to achieve. I’ve witnessed a lot of crashes…. Can’t say I’ve ever seen “air time” like they’re insinuating.

But a long slide even at moderate speed I can believe.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn’t read the article and I wasn’t there so I have no idea of the capabilities, conditions, or circumstances, but I believe someone is at fault, or no one was because things happen. I’m just guessing.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I waa discussing with someone last night who is researching the field al lot about how AI lawsuits are almost trivially easy to generate. Expect a lot more of this crap until your legal system has reformed radically.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
One of the worst slides I’ve ever taken was when I wasn’t going that fast, although the trail was fairly steep.

I was skiing Cannon’s Avalanche trail and my skis just stopped. No clue what happened, but I double ejected, landed on my tush and slid a few hundred vertical feet. Conditions were probably standard New England - ie, firm.

Point being…. You don’t have to be skiing that fast to go for a long slide. However, getting something - a ski, a human - 10-15 feet vertically off the ground seems implausible. Even 10-15 feet horizontally seems difficult to achieve. I’ve witnessed a lot of crashes…. Can’t say I’ve ever seen “air time” like they’re insinuating.

But a long slide even at moderate speed I can believe.

I was skiing at Snowbird in the early 2000's, heading back to the house we were staying in. I was going pretty fast on Who Dunnit, not sure what happened, but my ski came off and easily went 10-15 feet in the air. Everyone I was skiing with said it looked like I got hit by a scud missile. I wasn't hurt, but the ski (Seth Morrison Pro model K2) ended up being bent (I am assuming from when it hit the ground after flying that high) and got replaced under warranty.

My skiing group still talks about this wreck all these years later. My point is, it is not implausible for a ski to fly that high, I have personal experience :)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I've collected fallen skiers who had their bindings come apart. The bindings slide on a track and a little tab holds the binding in place IFF it is locked into the tab's slot. I can easily see it not being properly secured (by whom is the question), and can easily see how she might kick it 15 feet in the air as it releases. If they were experienced skiers, maybe they tried to adjust it. :huh:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The ads placed in this thread - hilarious !

74744B34-E96A-4346-B8CD-4B4F0AD7034D.jpeg

skinsail1909

Booting up
Skier
Don't read anything into the $75k amount. $75k is the minimum 'amount in controversy' threshold for filing a complaint in federal court. Like all plaintiffs, they are seeking as much money as they can possibly get and nothing more.

This will almost certainly be settled out of court prior to trial for some non-trivial amount of money.

You should read the article so you have something useful to say. Binding came off during normal skiing and she was injured. Only seeking 75k which is very low amount. Does it not occur to anyone that perhaps the binding was faulty? I had a demo binding blow apart on me and saw the cheap plastic it was made from.

Article says she was an experienced skier on a groomer. No one would assume the binding couldn't handle it. No she was not jumping. No her name is not Karen. Yes the amount of the sought damages are very reasonable.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh boy, another lawsuit.

Still don't know the complete story of the Bachelor lawsuit since the answer has never been available online AFAIK. I requested that the Bend Bulletin, which published the complaint, also publish the answer, but no response.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another article explains it a little differently. She wasn't in the air ... the binding was:

"Schoen started down the run, turned left, then right then left. While she attempted a second right turn, the binding blew off her left ski, sailing about 10-15 feet in the air and causing her left boot to come off the ski, the suit alleges.

Her left knee “immediately twisted and buckled,” and she fell onto her left shoulder, the complaint says. The right ski was still attached to her right boot, which the lawsuit says caused her to tumble, twist and fall onto her right shoulder, dislocating it.

She kept tumbling and twisting down the mountain, clawing so hard, the complaint alleges, that her fingernails broke off within her gloves.

Finally, her right ski tore off and the moguls, or bumps, of the next run stopped her 300- to 400-foot descent, the suit says."

From: https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/0...resort-rental-company-for-catastrophic-crash/

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Down The Sundog

Schoen is an experienced skier and has been skiing since she was 3 years old, the lawsuit says. During her anniversary trip she was reportedly 45 years old and in good health.

On the morning of March 15, 2021, the pair rode the gondola to the top of the Sundog ski run and put their skis on at the top of the trail, the complaint states.

Fields skied halfway down the run, then stopped to wait for his wife.

I just looked at the map, Sundog is at the top of Casper Quad, not the Gondola and not where they would put their skis on. Again, either their story is wrong or another case of bad reporting.

Schoen started down the run, turned left, then right then left. While she attempted a second right turn, the binding blew off her left ski, sailing about 10-15 feet in the air and causing her left boot to come off the ski, the suit alleges.
The ski flew in the air 10-15 on second turn? Wouldn't the boot come off before the ski became airborne?

Regarding the ski, I can only assume it was a demo and not a regular rental and that it was probably an Attack demo, I doubt Hoback is demoing carvers.

Again, knowing that trail, sliding 300-400 feet from ski releasing on the second turn?

Just trying to be a internet detective.