• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Texas couple sue Jackson Hole Mountain resort…

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the shop liable? I dunno. Maybe, maybe not. Depends on if they knew or should have known that the binding had problems. If they had properly maintained it, inspected it periodically, etc, they are probably in the clear. If not, well... that could be a legit case.

Not to mention possible tempering of the demo bindings by the end users.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Not to mention possible tempering of the demo bindings by the end users.
Or maybe the skier crashed, causing the binding to blow apart and the ski to fly thru the air vs the binding blows apart, causing the crash.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Or maybe the skier crashed, causing the binding to blow apart and the ski to fly thru the air vs the binding blows apart, causing the crash.

Six of one and half dozen of another.

The end user or someone other than the shop tech could have fiddled with the demo binding prior to subsequent usage by the end user.
I have known many to mess with their bindings. The newer demo binding are generally tool free for adjustments.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
According to a person's JH trail guide, from the top of the gondola, Sundance is usually groomed, popular so, and is not below the lift. Sundog is below the Casper Bowl HS Quad where bump skiers like to show off, so one would expect moguls even at a modest 34% grade. There is a youtube snowboarder video going down that which despite the wide angle lens effect, looks similar to what such a lower gradient mogul field video would look like. Not a slope one could slide very far even if trying.
Have you skied there? If not, stop.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You’re right it is not like they serve drinks on the golf course while you’re golfing or have a “19th Hole” lol Let’s be very honest here I am not sure you can actually enjoy golf sober … at least I can’t lol in fact I personally perform best at the 19th hole.

And it is not like they have Tennis clubs that serve drinks etc. lol yup skiing must be the only sport with an “après” social aspect lol

Now that said I personally prefer après ski drinks in the hot tub or a great slope side bar over “country club socials” any day of the week. And for the record I am do not golf or play tennis… but I have gone for drinks at a Golf Club lol

Yes ... golf isn't après; it's pendant. And I did way more crazy things with my tennis buddies post-league matches than anything I've done après ski. (Well, close.) Drag Queen Bingo was just the beginning....

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Already mentioned, but just to clarify:
A 3-hour group (only beginner or intermediate offered) at PCMR is $250 + ski ticket.
A 3-hour private (probably necessary if you are above intermediate and esp if you want to practice exotic skills like one-footed skiing) is $930 + ski ticket.
A full-day is $1250 + ski ticket.

RR, I know you are a concerned and competent coach...but $1,000/day to improve is just not something a whole lot of skiers are going to afford or do. The model has to change if we think technique improvement needs to happen on a large scale.

Yes, the cost of lessons is a lot, especially at North American resorts where resorts have monopoly power over ski schools and where resort liability insurance isn't getting any cheaper - they pass along the "savings" to the customers. And no, I'm not going to complain about the increased pay rates for instructors - that's anathema to what's being discussed here, and it's about time they received better pay.

But if you look at EU resorts there are myriad private ski schools that are competitively priced and quite popular.

But yes: as is the motto here at SkiTalk, skiing is fun. And fun is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Everyone's mileage does vary here.

As I said before: I yield the floor...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are trying to get to a conclusion with a vast amount of mis information in the directions.

Bindings don't just fly off of the ski 10'-15' in the air, it takes a lot of force that to happen. I have had cases where bindings and specifically demo bindings have come off of a track. every time the binding just came off and was in the general area that it was when it did come off. Have I seen a binding fly in the air? Sure it was usually after the ski was cartwheeling multiple times.

The end user or someone other than the shop tech could have fiddled with the demo binding prior to subsequent usage by the end user.
It could have gotten clicked open when it was put on or off the gondola.

The skier in question also is said to be an accomplished skier with 40 years under her belt. So inexperience should be taken out of the equation.

Were they hre own boots or rental boots? If her own, how old and how much wear? Was a visual inspection done or was she jsut asked "What is your BSL?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Somebody should figure out how to do a pool or poll on how this plays out i.e. goes to court, settles out of court, plantiffs win, suit thrown out, all the legal permutations.

I mean really nobody knows what happened - except a lady got hurt and is suing everyone. I suspect that the "TX" part of it has some people salty. well, because........

maybe the thing had a crack, maybe they took sweetwater to the bottom of Casper and dropped the skis on the concrete, maybe they fiddled with it trying to move the boot center forward or aft. Maybe the skis should not have gone out? who knows. Is there some hyperbole in the claim, sure - that's how the legal system works and thrives. open eyes, look around.

The US legal system and contingent ambulance chasing lawyers (sorry, not sorry if i offended anyone) have made this possible - its always somebody else's fault. But to be 100% honest, I have had a demo binding come apart, it was checked by the manufacturers rep prior to being on my boot, so stuff happens. Zero cares how this sorts out - everyone has insurance against this stuff, but lets "burn the witch"

/offsoapbox

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does it not occur to anyone that perhaps the binding was faulty? I had a demo binding blow apart on me and saw the cheap plastic it was made from.

Sounds to me that the forward pressure was not set.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The speculation in this thread goes to 11.

FW incredibly little IW, I had a pre-release earlier this season, Tyrolia FF 16, short radius turns, not particularly fast, and no high loads. My best guess was snow on my boot. Hadn't happened before or since. I have 100% confidence in the bindings.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
I might as well chime in, because it's the internet and I'm unqualified.....I've seen rental bindings get jammed with snow/ice and come off the track. Maybe just maybe this could have happened "naturally" with no real negligence by either party, in which case someone will pay but hopefully just the real criminals, the insurance companies.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
We are trying to get to a conclusion with a vast amount of mis information in the directions.

I love that succinct analysis.

Then the smart aleck in me suspects we are all heading for a concussion with a vast amount of misdirection in the informations.

smt

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
Somebody should figure out how to do a pool or poll on how this plays out i.e. goes to court, settles out of court, plantiffs win, suit thrown out, all the legal permutations.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been settled already. Although Wyoming is an "inherent risk" state, a binding flying off the ski* is not an inherent risk, so should be a fairly straightforward insurance payout from either the rental shop or the binding manufacturer.

If the plaintiff's attorney is like most of them, the business model is to settle as many cases as you can with minimal time invested and pocket 30% of the setlement. Better to spend ten hours to nab $30k than to spend several hundred to nab $300k.

Are the defendants hoping for a dismissal on "inherent risk"? Standard practice would be to file a motion to dismiss, but doubt it would work. Are the plaintiffs looking for too large a settlement? Maybe. No way to know what negotiations took place prior to filing the suit.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's one of those things that folks in the EU do a lot more than folks in North America: take lessons throughout their skiing life.
Maybe some. For many it’s just a weekly event every year.