• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Texas couple sue Jackson Hole Mountain resort…

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
“According to the complaint, the couple rented ski equipment from JHMR and Hoback Sports. On the blue run Sundog, faulty binding on one of Schoen’s skis blew off 10 to 15 feet in the air and caused her left boot to come out of her ski.”

So she somehow took a 10 to 15 foot jump on a blue run and came out of her binding or did the binding come off? Anyone know anything about this?

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn't read the article.
Was her name Karen?

You should read the article so you have something useful to say. Binding came off during normal skiing and she was injured. Only seeking 75k which is very low amount. Does it not occur to anyone that perhaps the binding was faulty? I had a demo binding blow apart on me and saw the cheap plastic it was made from.

Article says she was an experienced skier on a groomer. No one would assume the binding couldn't handle it. No she was not jumping. No her name is not Karen. Yes the amount of the sought damages are very reasonable.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
You should read the article so you have something useful to say. Binding came off during normal skiing and she was injured. Only seeking 75k which is very low amount. Does it not occur to anyone that perhaps the binding was faulty? I had a demo binding blow apart on me and saw the cheap plastic it was made from.

Article says she was an experienced skier on a groomer. No one would assume the binding couldn't handle it. No she was not jumping. No her name is not Karen. Yes the amount of the sought damages are very reasonable.
To be accurate the article says they are seeking “over $75,000” and for the damages to be “determined at trial”.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the blue run Sundog, faulty binding on one of Schoen’s skis blew off 10 to 15 feet in the air and caused her left boot to come out of her ski.

It sounds like she suffered some pretty bad injuries.

But how does a binding go flying 10-15 feet in the air? Not enough details.

Right. The key sentence quoted above is poorly written and presented without meaningful context, so really we're clueless.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"On the blue run Sundog, faulty binding on one of Schoen’s skis blew off 10 to 15 feet in the air and caused her left boot to come out of her ski.”

THAT is a masterpiece of ambiguity.

So all I know is she got hurt and says something vague about the gear. At this time there's no other intellingent comment I can make.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"On the blue run Sundog, faulty binding on one of Schoen’s skis blew off 10 to 15 feet in the air and caused her left boot to come out of her ski.”
The reasonable interpretation is that the binding popped off the ski and flew 10 to 15 feet in the air. The screws pulled out for some reason.

The article also gives this additional info:

"The lawsuit claims that there were no natural or unnatural hazards on the groomed run that could have caused the binding to break, so responsibility for the “catastrophic malfunctioning” and serious injuries is landing on the three defendants with claims of liability and negligence of improperly maintained ski equipment quality."

She was not jumping. This is why the defendants have insurance.

OSD

Getting on the lift
Skier
The reasonable interpretation is that the binding popped off the ski and flew 10 to 15 feet in the air. The screws pulled out for some reason.
To me the extent of her injuries makes it sound like she was 10 to 15 in the air when she lost a ski. Like she flew over a roller or something. Not sure how the binding would end up that high off the ground if it just separated from the ski or why that would be significant.

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
Schoen’s skis blew off 10 to 15 feet in the air and caused her left boot to come out of her ski. She “twisted and buckled” her knee, which resulted in a lengthy fall that then dislocated her right shoulder and allegedly tore off her fingernails inside of her gloves. Schoen ultimately fell a total of 300 to 400 feet and “suffered significant injuries,” the complaint says.

How fast do you have to be going to slide (fall) 300 to 400 feet, on a blue run?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I have had a demo binding come apart, which is why I would never put one on any of my skis. It wasn't on a jump or rollover just arching a turn at speed. Not going to debate this point - you do you and I will do me. It wasn't malicious, however my shoulder was toast for the good part of a year. It was on a similar type run (Sundog is off Casper @ JHMR), mine was on Nabob at DV.

Sometimes folks don't want to travel with their gear, doesn't mean that they can't ski. Also, I can see if the heel/toe piece came off the track it went 10-15 feet, maybe not up in the air, but in the air.

Might make sense to wait until its sorted before passing judgement - this is why EVERYONE has (or should have) insurance, resort, rental shop, skiers.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Schoen’s skis blew off 10 to 15 feet in the air and caused her left boot to come out of her ski. She “twisted and buckled” her knee, which resulted in a lengthy fall that then dislocated her right shoulder and allegedly tore off her fingernails inside of her gloves. Schoen ultimately fell a total of 300 to 400 feet and “suffered significant injuries,” the complaint says.

How fast do you have to be going to slide (fall) 300 to 400 feet, on a blue run?
I easily slid 300 feet down the hill.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
To me the extent of her injuries makes it sound like she was 10 to 15 in the air when she lost a ski. Like she flew over a roller or something. Not sure how the binding would end up that high off the ground if it just separated from the ski or why that would be significant.

You know if it wasn't for the "Karen" comment I wouldn't have posted. That slur really gets me as I've known many Karen's including my Aunt Karen who died of cancer a few years ago.

Binding break and a crash happened to me with a set of skis I had bought from Powder 7 that had been demo skis. The binding broke when I hit a rough patch on a groomer and I was launched into the air. I came away with a little blood and some bruises but no major injuries. It could easily have been a deadly crash as there were rock outcrops on both sides of the run.

It's one thing to question the need for a lawsuit but quite another to make it sound like the skier was at fault.

Frame grab showing binding in air ...

Crash_ABasin_BrokenBinding_FrameGrab_Trim_20160409.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online