• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thanks to All Veterans

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I hope everyone honors the veterans who mean the most to them this coming Veteran's Day. Here are some pics of Commander MJ Chewning, my dad. He flew A-4's in the Navy during Vietnam. He was in VA-55 squadron and was the commanding officer until being wounded by AA fire.

On the wall behind him is an A4 tailhook, and some plaques from the squadron.

Here's a pic of dad with his sword (from his 1st enlistment in the Marines, before college). Evidently when we were little kids we thought he was going off to fight the enemy using this sword.

Dad has some great stories about flying in the Navy, including:

Chasing the Nuke bomb rolling around in the bowels of the ship when it got loose in rough seas.

Almost "Sinking Florida" under the weight of every aircraft in the USA during the Cuban Missile Crisis. (And preparing to attack each missile site with over 80 planes).

Almost running out of fuel looking for his buddy who ejected into the "drink" (ocean) on a mission. They were flying under the low clouds looking for him, then finding him and they had to use their guns to keep the VC small boats away until the guy could be rescued.

Watching the "telephone pole" size AA missiles go by on missions.

And then landing one-handed on the aircraft carrier after getting injured.

He's in Florida now, playing tennis 3 days a week and was skiing until 90 yrs old. (He's 95 now).

https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/305574

0422191331a.jpg 0422191332.jpg A4.jpg Draw-Sword.jpg Flight-Suit.jpg IMG_2401.JPG VA-55.jpg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I hope everyone honors the veterans who mean the most to them this coming Veteran's Day. Here are some pics of Commander MJ Chewning, my dad. He flew A-4's in the Navy during Vietnam. He was in VA-55 squadron and was the commanding officer until being wounded by AA fire.

On the wall behind him is an A4 tailhook, and some plaques from the squadron.

Here's a pic of dad with his sword (from his 1st enlistment in the Marines, before college). Evidently when we were little kids we thought he was going off to fight the enemy using this sword.

Dad has some great stories about flying in the Navy, including:

Chasing the Nuke bomb rolling around in the bowels of the ship when it got loose in rough seas.

Almost "Sinking Florida" under the weight of every aircraft in the USA during the Cuban Missile Crisis. (And preparing to attack each missile site with over 80 planes).

Almost running out of fuel looking for his buddy who ejected into the "drink" (ocean) on a mission. They were flying under the low clouds looking for him, then finding him and they had to use their guns to keep the VC small boats away until the guy could be rescued.

Watching the "telephone pole" size AA missiles go by on missions.

And then landing one-handed on the aircraft carrier after getting injured.

He's in Florida now, playing tennis 3 days a week and was skiing until 90 yrs old. (He's 95 now).

https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/305574

View attachment 114577 View attachment 114578 View attachment 114579 View attachment 114580 View attachment 114581 View attachment 114582 View attachment 114583
Cool, Years ago I thought my faher and grandfather's medals were long gone... Then out of the blue I got a phone call that blew me away..

Sponsor

Staff online