• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thanksgiving favorites - traditional and non-traditional

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a little food before the traditional turkey and all the veggies. Starting with an antipasto, next a course is some Italian pasta with sausage, meatballs and braciole and than the turkey.
View attachment 149422
It was only four of us this year so we had a small amount of each. The desert was homemade apple pie and homemade cheesecake with fresh fruit.
Damn...I would do that next year.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You have been in Maine too long.

Have to admit most braciole I have had are wrapped a bit tighter. These are wrapped loosely like most SkiTalkers. :duck: :ogbiggrin:
When you roll up a braciole you have to close it so it doesn't come apart when cooking. Some people use metal skewers others use butchers twine and some even use toothpicks. When you take them out after cooking they tend to open up when you remove the skewers or butcher's twine. They might even open more when cutting them up before serving.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Wish I could have gone non-traditional, but wife insists on turkey.

At least I got to smoke it with bacon and bourbon. Came out great (for turkey).

IMG_0706.jpg
IMG_0707.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At least I got to smoke it with bacon and bourbon.
LOL I read this with an interesting perspective.
You were consuming bacon and bourbon while smoking the turkey, right???
:roflmao: :rocks:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My mom always has big plans for the TG meal even though it's usually just a few of us. She also wants to socialize while she is cooking and is easily distracted. Inevitably there would be stress and yelling in the kitchen and at least one dish would get screwed up. The truth is nobody but my mom really cared too much about the traditional meal and I would have preferred her husband cooked Moroccan food. This year it was just me and her so she made shrimp scampi instead. It turned out to be one of the most pleasant holidays I remember in a long time. No stress, no yelling and she had a bottle of Angel's Envy Rye that we sipped while cooking.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
We have a little food before the traditional turkey and all the veggies. Starting with an antipasto, next a course is some Italian pasta with sausage, meatballs and braciole and than the turkey.

That photo is proof positive that @Uncle-A is a black diamond eater. Experts only at his house.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m looking forward to my new favorite use of turkey leftovers which is turkey avgolemono soup. Last year I based mine on this recipe subbing brown rice for the orzo and adding garlic, ginger, and celery. With the lemon, ginger, and dill, it’s nice and bright after the heavy meals of the preceding week. I think I’ll get a pot of it going on Tuesday or Wednesday. https://www.runningtothekitchen.com...XObFePYepfVAoV7v7STLLU5STi2sDe8Pvl6Ar7CQObIOM

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Post-holiday ... time to talk leftovers!

I am looking for good, simple recipes for leftover turkey. And ones that don't require a smidgen of 27 things. Maybe a turkey tetrazini/casserole or a turkey-something soup.

Backstory: One of the organizations here is helping a formerly homeless man move into a studio apartment. He has put in the hard work, done really well in their programs, and has graduated to independent living. I want him to enjoy and to celebrate his first Christmas on his own. I am going to provide all the supplies he will need to fix a holiday dinner and, in case he hasn't cooked a lot, some recipes.

I am thinking about providing a small turkey since he can use that for several dishes. He is just starting out so keeping it simple -- can of cream soup instead of a homemade cream sauce -- is better. And more usable ingredients are also better -- i.e., how often would he use turmeric and how much storage space will he have. I will provide ingredients for the leftover dishes as well.

I am looking at "easy leftover turkey recipes" but find many of them don't have enough reviews for me to trust. Anyone have a good recipe they're willing to share?

If some non-turkey recipe pops into mind -- side dishes? -- I'll take that too. I'm going to include @Tricia's corn casserole recipe. I think that's a dish a lot of people would like.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm going to include @Tricia's corn casserole recipe. I think that's a dish a lot of people would like.
That casserole is not just wicked good, its wicked. This is why I haven't made it in a very long time.

For leftover turkey I'd make a roux and add some peas-n-carrots and pour it over biscuits or even turn it into a pot pie.
I really like to put it into a ramekin and just have a layer of pie crust on top only.

I also like to make a sandwich with leftover turkey and cranberry sauce. Love that savory/sweet treat.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
It seems no-one has mentioned Seriouseats' Turkey Porchetta. It's a turkey breast dry brined with salt, sage, pepper, fennel seeds, pinch of red pepper flakes and rolled up into its own skin. It is then left to cure for 2 days in the fridge and then sous-vided for 5-ish hours at 140F. The result is an unappetizing slug that looks like this:
1638214126233.png

One then deep fries the slug to give it color, and it turns out like this:
1638214330620.png

And it is the Best. Turkey. Evah!

(Served by Chef Robert with cranberry nut mold, roast potatoes and parsnips, pate and chestnut stuffing from a little muffin pan, and green beans, mushrooms & carrots with thyme). This year, we had a Silver Oak Cab with same, and although some people really dislike that wine, it is clear that I'm not some people.

Last edited:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
That casserole is not just wicked good, its wicked.
"Wicked" is such a harsh term! I like to think of it as the ratio of Reward to Effort. High reward will help his motivation not just in cooking, but his life in general. Yeah, it's wicked, but in this case, wicked is good!

For leftover turkey I'd make a roux and add some peas-n-carrots and pour it over biscuits or even turn it into a pot pie.
I really like to put it into a ramekin and just have a layer of pie crust on top only.

Thanks. I received a recipe that will help him create that dish, but with Bisquick. I have difficulty figuring out leftovers. I eat very few leftovers so I buy meat in small quantities.

Had a reality moment yesterday when I went turkey hunting at the supermarket. The sign said 10-16 pounds, but there wasn't a small bird in sight. I think my idea of boiling the carcass for soup is not feasible. There will still be turkey but something more manageable for a single person just starting out. I'll include a soup recipe and ingredients if I can find turkey stock/broth as a base.

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
My parents were very traditional despite neither of them actually being from a traditional family. My dad is an immigrant and my mother came from a family that just didn't really celebrate. Still, bring out the turkey

To me it's about connection, so we make food we like. That isn't really traditional thanksgiving food. Lots of autumn foods. Pumpkin bisque is amazing, usually have some sort of fish, and of course, pecan pie.

Claymore76

Need for Speed
Skier
I hosted brunch this year. Turkey, gravy, roasted seasoned potatoes, bacon, sausage, vegetarian stuffing, maple sausage cornbread stuffing, bacon, buttermilk pancakes, buckwheat pancakes, banana bread, bacon, cranberry sauce, baked scrambled eggs with cheddar. Expected 10 people; had 12 people arrive, and despite my best efforts, I still did not have enough bacon. It was a hit, and a tradition that I'd like to continue with. But if I could have a do-over, I'd leave the turkey/gravy/stuffings for the afternoon/evening gatherings and add something like homemade donuts or biscuits and sawmill gravy.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like food. Bring it!

Sponsor