• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thanksgiving favorites - traditional and non-traditional

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
We have always had a traditional Thanksgiving with Turkey, smashed potatoes, dressing, corn, etc, etc. Oh and don't forget the ham. Oh and don't forget the SMOKED TURKEY. (Sooo moist, sooo good) It's really great to snack on all day or if it's a big turkey, you can snack on it all week.
Except this year, I could not find a smoked turkey in the stores and had to settle for a smoked turkey breast which will be OK but actually a poor substitute. I'm sure it is a result of covid.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Pretty much any food tastes great and is memorable so long as you are sharing it with those who are special to you.
'Pumpkin Guts' adorn the meal of all of our tribe. When the kids were young home made pumpkin pie way the huge hit of the Holiday except for the crust; which the dog really appreciated. The wife makes an excellent pie crust by the way.
One year she decided why waste the time and effort and began making the pie filling as a casserole without the crust; waste not want not. The youngest came flying in the door one day from school and caught a whiff of the aroma and let out with, "Oh boy, Pumpkin Guts". The dish was christened for all time.

Whatever you do today, Happy Thanksgiving.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
20211124_223610.jpg

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was pretty chill.
And your pumpkin ravioli was incredible.
IIRC you made bacon wrapped scallops for an appetizer.

Its not quite that warm this year, at least not warm enough to eat on the patio, but its also not snowing yet and we're lean enough that resorts are not opeing yet.
Bacon wrapped scallops are the ultimate hors d'oeuvres, but I've only had them at weddings i think. That said, when I am at a wedding and the servers come walking through with them during cocktail hour I am sure to set up near the door to the kitchen to ambush them when they come out so i get my share and then some.

Edit to say that i saw Brian Likes Pow posted that they are easy to make, so i will have to try to make them sometime.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bacon wrapped scallops are the ultimate hors d'oeuvres, but I've only had them at weddings i think. That said, when I am at a wedding and the servers come walking through with them during cocktail hour I am sure to set up near the door to the kitchen to ambush them when they come out so i get my share and then some.

Edit to say that i saw Brian Likes Pow posted that they are easy to make, so i will have to try to make them sometime.
You need to make friends with @Brian Likes Pow

Hey Brian, I just saw that New England is getting some pow. I know you'll like that because.... Brian likes pow!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That looks yummy. I have to avoid pecan pie like the plague because one slice is never enough for me. I could stick my face in that pie and lick the plate clean!

I ended up making individual apple crisp, cherry crisp and cherry pie (cherries from cherry stop in Traverse City, MI)

IMG_8768.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have always had a traditional Thanksgiving with Turkey, smashed potatoes, dressing, corn, etc, etc. Oh and don't forget the ham. Oh and don't forget the SMOKED TURKEY. (Sooo moist, sooo good) It's really great to snack on all day or if it's a big turkey, you can snack on it all week.
Except this year, I could not find a smoked turkey in the stores and had to settle for a smoked turkey breast which will be OK but actually a poor substitute. I'm sure it is a result of covid.
Give Candy our love!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Was PMing with Binder about this. My favorite new thing at Thanksgiving is flash fried sage leaves used generously as a yummy garnish.

PXL_20211125_194920529-01.jpeg
PXL_20211125_165444848-01.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
6 turkey legs, 4 breast tenderloins, 1 brown sugar ham, taters, dressing, mac n cheese, shrimp, deviled eggs, cheese and crackers done, Leftovers for days! Now 4 pies to try. Pass the insulin!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I was in charge of the turkey and pumpkin pie. My daughter made the rest. After dinner we cleaned up, whipped cream, and served pie. At long last! The 3 year old had been clamoring for it since I walked in the door!

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
As they say in Yakima land ... "Nice Rack". Pistachio encrusted Rack of Lamb.
View attachment 149397 View attachment 149398
Dude you're killing me. I ate turkey today and while I don't dislike turkey I'd go for that every single time. Also its cooked damn near perfect which matters with lamb alot IMO. Too raw and the texture and connective tissue pisses me off and well done anything pisses me off even more. You nailed it and I'm bloated from something I only ate to not seem like a weirdo. Next year I'm eating lamb and if they don't dig then I'm not sharing

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dude you're killing me. I ate turkey today and while I don't dislike turkey I'd go for that every single time. Also its cooked damn near perfect which matters with lamb alot IMO. Too raw and the texture and connective tissue pisses me off and well done anything pisses me off even more. You nailed it and I'm bloated from something I only ate to not seem like a weirdo. Next year I'm eating lamb and if they don't dig then I'm not sharing
You're always welcome to join us for TG day.....just saying.
BTW @Tyler Pugliese is starting too cook a lot more and has requested the pasta books from my library. You have influenced him well.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
You're always welcome to join us for TG day.....just saying.
BTW @Tyler Pugliese is starting too cook a lot more and has requested the pasta books from my library. You have influenced him well.
I made this dark rich beet pasta that was pretty damn good. Stuffed with some braised beef and tossed in gorganzola with some extra walnuty pesto. Theres a million directions you can go and its CHEAP to make. Tell him to get an OG stainless steel table pasta crank...

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I made this dark rich beet pasta that was pretty damn good. Stuffed with some braised beef and tossed in gorganzola with some extra walnuty pesto. Theres a million directions you can go and its CHEAP to make. Tell him to get an OG stainless steel table pasta crank...
He got one!!
We gave him a Kitchenaid mixer with meat grinder for his house warming gift.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes! That's another world of endless possibilities that's also doubles as an economical hobby.
We've been using our meat grinder to make things like chicken lettus wraps with cheap thighs, among other things.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
That looks yummy. I have to avoid pecan pie like the plague because one slice is never enough for me. I could stick my face in that pie and lick the plate clean!

I ended up making individual apple crisp, cherry crisp and cherry pie (cherries from cherry stop in Traverse City, MI)

View attachment 149360
Also made homemade vanilla ice cream to go with it. It's the best dessert combo ever in my opinion. There is a little bourbon in both the ice cream and the pie. Soooooo goood.

Those pies look great! The world needs more pie.

Sponsor

Staff online