• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

For Sale That's a lot of bikes...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus hard to find the bikes smothered under all those toppings.

15# bikes under 10# of water bottles and stickers! With all those bikes the rotation must have kept them in pretty good shape.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Honestly, it looks like someone went through and threw parts onto whatever was in the shed. And OMG did they like their Avocet saddles or what?

The Colnago with Rolf Vectors looks hilarious with both Rakers and Spinacis. I could be tempted by that, just as a lightweight steelie. Center pic is of the Giubilato. But seriously - look at it - it has Scott Drop Ins and Scott Rakers and Spinaci extensions https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/32826/item/aquila-giant-colnago-giubilato-plus-3208767/

The Rapid...eh.

The Softride with Syntace on it could be nice with two new wheels and 2km of new cables/housing.

Fuji Aloha - has one of the nicer wheelsets but meh on old alu tri bikes.

The Concorde - looks handsome but small for me. Again with the Rakers and Drop Ins and Spinaci silliness.

Giant TCR - semi modern geo roadie - but needs new wheels.

Aquila looks fun - again too small for me tho.

The next tri frame just looks waaaay slammed. Wouldn't ride those wheels.

The Vitus with the crafty dual non-aero brake setup - yeh, I'd totally try to replicate that brake setup on a different bike but I wouldn't even think of riding the frame. Retro water bottles should be on Ebay on their own. Also, the wheels. But seriously, bid on that bike just for the master class in brake cable hookup.

QR Kilo - more tri bike meh.

Check out the cassette on the Viner :D :D :D

Giant OCR with the mega huge elbow cradle - wtf is going on with that back wheel? Also, it's been ~20 years since I've seen cleats for those pedals anywhere.

Miele looks fun for a 5'6"ish person. Love the bar tape and the rear wheel aero cover :D

You already know I like those Gardins. Note the reverse-compact geometry. I would totally rip all the tri parts off that and build it up climber.

The pink bike with the Cramerotti stickers - hah. I've no idea what that is, but based on the top tube brake cable routing I'm guessing the rear triangle would have to be reset for a modern hub. Looks like it could be a fun result.

Blue QR Kilo - yeh, absolutely not. To these eyes that looks like 650c on the front. Not touching it.

Early Cervelo tri meh. It will get bid up because of the brand name.

Aquila Strada - first have a larf at the seatpost. No wai is that one of the titanium jobbies, so let's say it's an alu frame. Let's say it isn't cracked. It can't be respaced so that would get a fixie build or nothing.

Yaqui Manzanita - slightly unusual but not very aero for a tri bike. Some nice still usable parts.

Black QR - again, usable parts.

Yellow steelie with Scott one-piece handlebars, Columbus stickers and "I want you in my pants" stickers and really slack rear triangle - what is that? Funky. And Mavic Comete :thumb:

Antique gold 'Pinarello' - with the Gardin sticker and funky lugs - and the Cambio Rino parts on it. I totally believe the Gardin part of that. https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/32826/item/aquila-giant-colnago-giubilato-plus-3208747/ Honestly, that lugwork just looks crude.

Giubilato - I'd ride that. Yes it has one of the funny seatposts but ignore that and look at the sweet 80s steel. Might have to dimple the stays to get 25s in tho.

Last edited:

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Whoever owned those bikes must be VERY hydrated. It hurts my eyes looking at those.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, it looks like someone went through and threw parts onto whatever was in the shed. And OMG did they like their Avocet saddles or what?

The Colnago with Rolf Vectors looks hilarious with both Rakers and Spinacis. I could be tempted by that, just as a lightweight steelie. Center pic is of the Giubilato. But seriously - look at it - it has Scott Drop Ins and Scott Rakers and Spinaci extensions https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/32826/item/aquila-giant-colnago-giubilato-plus-3208767/

The Rapid...eh.

The Softride with Syntace on it could be nice with two new wheels and 2km of new cables/housing.

Fuji Aloha - has one of the nicer wheelsets but meh on old alu tri bikes.

The Concorde - looks handsome but small for me. Again with the Rakers and Drop Ins and Spinaci silliness.

Giant TCR - semi modern geo roadie - but needs new wheels.

Aquila looks fun - again too small for me tho.

The next tri frame just looks waaaay slammed. Wouldn't ride those wheels.

The Vitus with the crafty dual non-aero brake setup - yeh, I'd totally try to replicate that brake setup on a different bike but I wouldn't even think of riding the frame. Retro water bottles should be on Ebay on their own. Also, the wheels. But seriously, bid on that bike just for the master class in brake cable hookup.

QR Kilo - more tri bike meh.

Check out the cassette on the Viner :D :D :D

Giant OCR with the mega huge elbow cradle - wtf is going on with that back wheel? Also, it's been ~20 years since I've seen cleats for those pedals anywhere.

Miele looks fun for a 5'6"ish person. Love the bar tape and the rear wheel aero cover :D

You already know I like those Gardins. Note the reverse-compact geometry. I would totally rip all the tri parts off that and build it up climber.

The pink bike with the Cramerotti stickers - hah. I've no idea what that is, but based on the top tube brake cable routing I'm guessing the rear triangle would have to be reset for a modern hub. Looks like it could be a fun result.

Blue QR Kilo - yeh, absolutely not. To these eyes that looks like 650c on the front. Not touching it.

Early Cervelo tri meh. It will get bid up because of the brand name.

Aquila Strada - first have a larf at the seatpost. No wai is that one of the titanium jobbies, so let's say it's an alu frame. Let's say it isn't cracked. It can't be respaced so that would get a fixie build or nothing.

Yaqui Manzanita - slightly unusual but not very aero for a tri bike. Some nice still usable parts.

Black QR - again, usable parts.

Yellow steelie with Scott one-piece handlebars, Columbus stickers and "I want you in my pants" stickers and really slack rear triangle - what is that? Funky. And Mavic Comete :thumb:

Antique gold 'Pinarello' - with the Gardin sticker and funky lugs - and the Cambio Rino parts on it. I totally believe the Gardin part of that. https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/32826/item/aquila-giant-colnago-giubilato-plus-3208747/ Honestly, that lugwork just looks crude.

Giubilato - I'd ride that. Yes it has one of the funny seatposts but ignore that and look at the sweet 80s steel. Might have to dimple the stays to get 25s in tho.
How much time did you spend perusing these bikes? :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Super weird that they all have their own water bottles if they were owned by one/several people.

Super weird that half them don't have cables and housing or chains but have bidons (of random vintages) and cages in every conceivable mounting location . And some considerable chainring/crank mismatches.

Occam sez to mechanic: "Throw whatever parts look like they fit so they look good at auction, but get them all out the door. Don't spend more than 20 minutes per bike. "

How much time did you spend perusing these bikes? :ogbiggrin:

Enough to decide whether it was worth bidding. :)

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's all one person's bikes. I think they just bought a new bike every year or two. The oldest bike I can identify is like late 80's/early 90's. So 30 years of bikes. It's 30mins down the highway for me..we'll see if I manage to pick up a gem. Then, as Tony says, 2 hours of stripping off all the kitsch. Normal bars..lessee how it goes.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You can also bid on a CD player and a Porsche 944!

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Super weird that half them don't have cables and housing or chains but have bidons (of random vintages) and cages in every conceivable mounting location . And some considerable chainring/crank mismatches.

Occam sez to mechanic: "Throw whatever parts look like they fit so they look good at auction, but get them all out the door. Don't spend more than 20 minutes per bike. "

Enough to decide whether it was worth bidding. :)
Yeah, no chains. So bizarro. As well as the aero bar combos! Did the rider do like 200km time trials or something? I mean, like 4 huge water bottles per bike on some of them…the biopace chainring was pretty funny to see. That was supposed to be a game changer in what? the late ‘80’s?

If they indeed just slapped on components for the sale, I think it would’ve been better if the seller had just stripped the bikes and sold the frames. Lots of people looking for steel frames of that vintage so those would sell if in good condition. Fixie or town bike candidates.

I get flashbacks from my racing/time trials days by looking at some of that stuff.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah, no chains. So bizarro. As well as the aero bar combos! Did the rider do like 200km time trials or something? I mean, like 4 huge water bottles per bike on some of them…the biopace chainring was pretty funny to see. That was supposed to be a game changer in what? the late ‘80’s?

If they indeed just slapped on components for the sale, I think it would’ve been better if the seller had just stripped the bikes and sold the frames. Lots of people looking for steel frames of that vintage so those would sell if in good condition. Fixie or town bike candidates.

I get flashbacks from my racing/time trials days by looking at some of that stuff.
I feel like it was Tri or Ironman person. I mean, obviously. Biopace was actually pretty cool..but..it led to bouncy cadence at higher rpm. It's like a time-capsule of bike tech for the last 30 years. Quintana Roo made Tri bikes for a while..they were the cat's ass for a while. I don't have any interest in the vintage stuff..but yeah, some funky tech in there!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, no chains. So bizarro. As well as the aero bar combos! Did the rider do like 200km time trials or something? I mean, like 4 huge water bottles per bike on some of them…the biopace chainring was pretty funny to see.

Oh, right, on the red Giubilato. https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/32826/item/aquila-giant-colnago-giubilato-plus-3208746/ Yeh, notice that it's a 52 Biopace so there's a good reason to suspect it's on there because they expected to do slow cadences before the run.

The Cambio Rino pseudo-Campag group is even funkier.

1629576334057.png

I am strongly convinced that the various cockpit configurations were kept that way just for storage as in: will be adapted to whatever course the person decides to run. It makes sense: all the parts are there, if you have a hilly course you set it up one way, if you have a flat course you set it up another. The water makes sense that way too.
Notice the conflicts in this cockpit - makes much more sense if you expect to take 3-4 components OFF before an event.

1629576606670.png

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, right, on the red Giubilato. https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/32826/item/aquila-giant-colnago-giubilato-plus-3208746/ Yeh, notice that it's a 52 Biopace so there's a good reason to suspect it's on there because they expected to do slow cadences before the run.

The Cambio Rino pseudo-Campag group is even funkier.

View attachment 140364

I am strongly convinced that the various cockpit configurations were kept that way just for storage as in: will be adapted to whatever course the person decides to run. It makes sense: all the parts are there, if you have a hilly course you set it up one way, if you have a flat course you set it up another. The water makes sense that way too.
Notice the conflicts in this cockpit - makes much more sense if you expect to take 3-4 components OFF before an event.

View attachment 140365
That cockpit looks like a pretzel! It’s hilarious to look at.
Is that a wheel cover on the rear wheel? It’s not a real disc.
And oh wait! This one has a chain!
Did you count the teeth on the Biopace ring? ;)
And hey, there’s a CO2 cartridge on the frame! I thought those things were not of this vintage.