• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't live as close to Snowbowl as @raisingarizona, but I can see the mountain from my house in Prescott. From what I can tell there has not been much activity weatherwise to see how Snowbowl can open by Nov. 10. They've been trying to blow snow haven't they? Temperatures are pretty darn warm right now. Last week I was up near the mountain and it's brown. :(

Yeah, if they got anything it was an upper mountain dusting. Hopefully we start cooling off soon. It only took them a few days of snow making to get opened last year.

TS
raisingarizona

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was a few dustings in September but nothing lately but just like clockwork the turn into November was obvious last night. It’s much colder this morning.

I’m glad it’s still bike season to be honest. The snow can wait until after Thanksgiving imo.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Snowbowl has changed their opening to the 17th now. Good call, and even then it may be sketchy.

TS
raisingarizona

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Man is it dry!

Snowbowl announced that there opening date has been pushed back again and this time they are playing it safe by not setting another date.

Core, I think we’ve both mentioned before that it’s going to be interesting to see how the new snowmaking system would do during a total drought year. I have a feeling this may be that year, hopefully I’m wrong but we are due a dry winter.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Man is it dry!

Snowbowl announced that there opening date has been pushed back again and this time they are playing it safe by not setting another date.

Core, I think we’ve both mentioned before that it’s going to be interesting to see how the new snowmaking system would do during a total drought year. I have a feeling this may be that year, hopefully I’m wrong but we are due a dry winter.

This time last year if you would've asked me if we were going to have a dry season I would've bet money on it and look what we had. I saw an article that said AZSB pass sales are up like 25% over last season. It is going to be busy up there regardless of the snow.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
So, they must have recreated that midway ramp ?
When there is enough snow on the mountain for a full opening this ramp will be closed off again, right? I 've always enjoyed sliding off the steep Midway ramp, kind of miss it.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, they must have recreated that midway ramp ?
When there is enough snow on the mountain for a full opening this ramp will be closed off again, right? I 've always enjoyed sliding off the steep Midway ramp, kind of miss it.

Yeah, I bet they close the ramp when the six pack opens. It is on hydraulics so they can just lower it.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm curious if anyone here has info on why they've changed their snowmaking strategy away from the ridge and into the bowl.

I can think of both plusses and minuses to it.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm curious if anyone here has info on why they've changed their snowmaking strategy away from the ridge and into the bowl.

I can think of both plusses and minuses to it.

My guess is because bowl side provides easier terrain which is better for early season. They didn't have any early season easy terrain last year and there was plenty of carnage due to that. People were skiing ridge side that had no business being there just because it was the only thing open and they wanted to ride the new lift.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
My guess is because bowl side provides easier terrain which is better for early season. They didn't have any early season easy terrain last year and there was plenty of carnage due to that. People were skiing ridge side that had no business being there just because it was the only thing open and they wanted to ride the new lift.

Yep, that would be true. A great time was not had by all last year early season. Bowl side is also less exposed to the sun for a bit longer than Ridge.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
786A942F-D871-49A2-834B-1615E176F2B7.jpeg The wife and I spent a fun couple of hours up at the WROD at Snowbowl this morning. Considering the lack of natural snow, and the warm weather, they have really done a fantastic job of creating a skiable trail all the way from Midway back to the Agassiz base. It was a firm base with some nice loose snow on top. Perfect for early season warm up turns. We skied from nine until midday and the crowds were very light. Maybe every other chair? Skiing in Arizona on Thanksgiving, no complaints here

80C4A863-CA56-409D-BA63-22E027CABFA3.jpeg 8AA520D2-D2E7-4CDF-8265-0BDBEFF5D63E.jpeg

Attachments

• E259E957-DF62-4BA6-8F7D-FDDE5925B7CB.jpeg
    E259E957-DF62-4BA6-8F7D-FDDE5925B7CB.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online