• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With posts on Pugski and from a friend on FB, I am reminded of the massive avalanche at Alpine Meadows which took out several buildings, the Summit Chairlift Terminal building, and buried 12 people.
This avalanche has always seems like a big deal to me, but more recently Ziggy's vet came to us to see if her father's vintage ski gear was worth anything. Then she shared that this gear was stuff her mom couldn't let go after her dad, a ski patroller at Alpine Meadows, died in the big avalanche.
This made it far more personal.

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 3.57.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 5.19.20 PM.png

From the original news story in 1982:
On March 31, 1982, at 15:45 a large soft-slab natural avalanche released at Alpine Meadows Ski Area. The avalanche, releasing from the Buttress, Pond and Poma Rocks slide paths, swept down into the base area and parking lot of the ski area. The avalanche hit the Summit Chairlift Terminal building, the main ski lodge, several small buildings, and two chairlifts, and it buried the parking lot under 10 to 20 feet of snow. The Summit Terminal Building, which housed the ski patrol, avalanche control headquarters, lift operations, ski school and the main avalanche rescue cache, was completely destroyed. The day lodge sustained superficial damage, the two chairlifts were extensively damaged, and several small buildings were destroyed, as were several over-the-snow vehicles.

Of the seven people in the Summit Building at the time of the avalanche, three were killed. Three were recovered alive almost immediately, and one young woman was recovered alive after a five-day burial. Four people were buried in the parking lot and were killed. Altogether twelve people and one dog were victims of the avalanche. Seven of those twelve were killed. The dog survived a one-day burial. Total monetary loss was approximately 1.6 million dollars.

Larry Heywood, The Avalanche Review, VOL. 10, NO. 5, MARCH 1992

Images from this video are sobering.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
That really does personalise the tragedy indeed. I believe this is still the largest loss of life at a North American ski resort. I was too young to know or remember this happening, but I happened to just be reading about it a couple weeks ago. There was one young woman who survived for 5 days with a small air pocket. Lost a foot but lived to tell the tale.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I think DH and I were out there in 85. I remember looking around having read all about the avalanche. And just going WOW. I'm from flat land Ontario...so this was all something new. One of the stories I remember was a ski instructor that was in the locker room. A locker fell on her and she survived because of it.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I remember it well. In a way that time felt similar to what is going on right now. Resorts & businesses were shut down for a prolonged period & folks were forced to “shelter in place”. I will never forget it, the biggest storm l had ever been through. So much snow, so fast.
RIP to those lost.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I rode the lift with Larry last Spring, long time patroller at Alpine now retired.
I’d love to ride a chair with him

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anna Conrad, buried for 5 days.
Here is a revived video of her

This is Anna describing what she went through 34 years after the avalanche.

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The anniversary of the Squaw Valley tram accident is coming up soon as well..

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I read in an article that Alpine Meadows is the resort most prone to in bounds avalanches in North America. Does anyone know if that's true?

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Was way before my time since I moved here 20 years later but definitely a thing of local legend. Standing in the tunnel behind the “iron doors” on powder mornings as patrol throws bombs it’s always something in the back of my mind. RIP

I read in an article that Alpine Meadows is the resort most prone to in bounds avalanches in North America. Does anyone know if that's true?

Not sure about it being just Alpine but I know SquAlpine throws more hand charges than anywhere else in North America and is in the top few resorts in the world. It’s one of the primary reasons they put all the gazex in a couple years back. It upped the mitigation safety for the patrol by a pretty good %

The anniversary of the Squaw Valley tram accident is coming up soon as well..
A regular in my 4some is a retired squaw patroller From the 80s-90s. A couple years back we were short 1 so he had one of his buddy’s join. We got to talking Squaw since it was spring and I had just come from morning laps before heading to the course. Not really sure how it came up but he was part of the patrol team on site for the rescue. It was one of the most gripping stories I’ve ever heard. Everyone around here has heard the story, but hearing from a first responder on site was chilling to say the least.

good article from a few years ago

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We were in Tahoe in March '82, skiing just a few weeks prior. Although we didn't visit Alpine Meadows, it still hit home when I read about the avalanche.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The response Tricia Best wrote in response to the story about the tram accident was very sad to read...
That was chilling.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I knew Jake Smith who was one of those who died in the avalanche at Alpine. From story written on the 25th anniversary at https://www.theunion.com/news/local-news/looking-back-at-alpine-meadows-avalanche/ "Jake Smith was the resort employee who courageously radioed in the avalanche even as a wall of snow was bearing down on him and his snowmobile at the edge of the parking lot". Jake's Peak, a popular place for backcountry skiing on the W shore of Tahoe is named after him.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier

I was curious about this too. I'm sure Alpine Meadows and Squaw are up there, but I would have guessed Snowbird. My googling didn't turn up much of interest though.

Sponsor

Staff online